First Mosin Ever... for me. (PICS)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BIGChris454

First Mosin Ever... for me. (PICS)

Post by BIGChris454 »

This is my first Mosin. Have been wanting one for a while. I think it's a Tula 91/30 1943. It has some brass fittings. I looks like its in great condition. Haven't fired it yet, that's tomorrow. If you have any comments or question, I would love to learn more about it.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BuckeyeSgt

Re: First Mosin Ever... for me. (PICS)

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Nice, and want an added bonus. You found an ex-sniper. The СН mark gives it a way. Now look on the inside for the filled in scope mount holes. Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:Nice, and want an added bonus. You found an ex-sniper. The СН mark gives it a way. Now look on the inside for the filled in scope mount holes. Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
Where and how do I look? And Thank You. I like this site. I had no idea if this was actually Russian or not, and it identified it for me.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Pull the bolt back and look on the inside, left side of the reciever. There will probably be a couple of small holes filled in. You will need plenty of light. The box with the slash on the stock is a Ukrainian refurb mark.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Welcome aboard Bigchris :toast: man what a nice 91/30 for a first mosin :thumbsup: very nice 43 Tula with brass end caps and as Buckeye said
possibly a ex-sniper. At the very least a barrel from one, there's a very, very small chance it could have been screwed to a different receiver.
:pointup: just check for the filled in holes on left inside of receiver.
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

Sure enough, you guys called it. So to make it a sniper again would I need a new stock for it? Can I even make it a sniper again? This is awesome. I love finding things like this.Image
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Bingo, there ya go, ex-sniper nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

What do I need to do to make it a Sniper again?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

BIGChris454 wrote:Sure enough, you guys called it. So to make it a sniper again would I need a new stock for it? Can I even make it a sniper again? This is awesome. I love finding things like this.Image
Welcome Chris. The C and H stamps were the first thing I noticed too. Jumped out at me like a flashing sign. One thing you'll learn around here is leave it the way it is. Snipers are snipers and ex-snipers are ex-snipers and they should be left that way. First of all it was taken out of sniper duty for a reason we'll never know but it's most likely because it wasn't making the cut. That said if you tried to rescope it you'd be destroying the rifles history, collectability and value because once you alter them they are no longer historically correct. Preservation is the name of the game in the collector community and that means not trying to make it back into something the arsenals decided it shouldn't be anymore. It's great just the way it is and is a great find. Not worth a whole lot more than an M91/30 but being a Tula and an ex sniper are both desireable to collectors. Clean it up real good, check the headspace and firing pin protrusion and go shot it. Shweet :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Very Nice rifle, Thanks for sharing pictures. :thumbsup: :pointup: :Drool1: :Drool1:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

Well I had already planed on scout scoping it when I bought it. I know how acurate these rifles are, my good friend has 2 I have been shooting with for awhile. I Dont ever plan on selling it, so the collector value is not a major concern. I want to make this Mosin unique to me and the way i want it. That being said, The other gentleman stated that the markins on the stock are from a Ukranian refurbishment. To me that could mean that it was simply well used, had the stock replaced, and they just decided to make it standard. I am going to shoot it tomorrow and will see how it does. I mean no disrespect, so please don't take it that way Weldon. I'm just curious if it's possible to get those plugs out and put an original scope on it.
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

And by the way, Thanks for all the love guys. The gun store had just opened a new crate so I took my time selecting it. I guess I chose wisely. :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BIGChris454 wrote:What do I need to do to make it a Sniper again?
Don't do that. It is an EX-sniper for a reason. Leave it as is and enjoy it. Very nice first Mosin.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

millman wrote:
BIGChris454 wrote:What do I need to do to make it a Sniper again?
Don't do that. It is an EX-sniper for a reason. Leave it as is and enjoy it. Very nice first Mosin.
Wow. does any one think I should retuen it to it's former glory? Like I said I had planned on putting a scope on it before I found this out. Opinions? :?:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BIGChris454 wrote:Well I had already planed on scout scoping it when I bought it. I know how acurate these rifles are, my good friend has 2 I have been shooting with for awhile. I Dont ever plan on selling it, so the collector value is not a major concern. I want to make this Mosin unique to me and the way i want it. That being said, The other gentleman stated that the markins on the stock are from a Ukranian refurbishment. To me that could mean that it was simply well used, had the stock replaced, and they just decided to make it standard. I am going to shoot it tomorrow and will see how it does. I mean no disrespect, so please don't take it that way Weldon. I'm just curious if it's possible to get those plugs out and put an original scope on it.
I know you mean no disrespect, but this is a collector/preservationist website. We will NOT tolerate ANY talk of changing these rifles from the condition from which they last left the arsenals of their respective countries. Please read the rules.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

It would cost you way more to do what you are talking about than to go get a commercial gun and scope. You have a really neat piece of history there. There are some on here that haven't found wht you have and are looking all the time. Not that they are a totally rare bird, but they are not as common as a normal 1943 Tula. Be proud of what you found and when you hit the range and someone ask you about it you get to brag a little. If you change it....what is done is done and the guys looking for one probably wouldn't offer $50 if you wanted to sell it. It is yours and can do what you like to it. And no offense, we just don't like to see or hear about altering them here. Just read through some of the post here, and you will get an idea of what these old rifles really mean.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:It would cost you way more to do what you are talking about than to go get a commercial gun and scope. You have a really neat piece of history there. There are some on here that haven't found wht you have and are looking all the time. Not that they are a totally rare bird, but they are not as common as a normal 1943 Tula. Be proud of what you found and when you hit the range and someone ask you about it you get to brag a little. If you change it....what is done is done and the guys looking for one probably wouldn't offer $50 if you wanted to sell it. It is yours and can do what you like to it. And no offense, we just don't like to see or hear about altering them here. Just read through some of the post here, and you will get an idea of what these old rifles really mean.
Right on. I just saw a few threads talking about adding scopes to the rilfes so I though it was accepted to discuss as such on here.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

There are some options of adding scout style scopes that do not run afoul of the rules of the forum. These are totally reversible. When one starts into the realm of drilling and retapping, we draw the line. Do a search for an S&K Mount, or a Darryl's Mount. These should get you where you want to go.

C. S. Lewis
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

millman wrote:There are some options of adding scout style scopes that do not run afoul of the rules of the forum. These are totally reversible. When one starts into the realm of drilling and retapping, we draw the line. Do a search for an S&K Mount, or a Darryl's Mount. These should get you where you want to go.
Cool. Thanks for the tip. And again I didn't fully read the rules ( I know thats not an acceptable reason for breaking them, but I have now.), but I apologise if I was misunderstood. I in no way intened to destroy or mangle this rifle. I just didn't know if there was a way to reconvert it properly. I now know there isn't. 8-)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BIGChris454 wrote:
millman wrote:There are some options of adding scout style scopes that do not run afoul of the rules of the forum. These are totally reversible. When one starts into the realm of drilling and retapping, we draw the line. Do a search for an S&K Mount, or a Darryl's Mount. These should get you where you want to go.
Cool. Thanks for the tip. And again I didn't fully read the rules ( I know thats not an acceptable reason for breaking them, but I have now.), but I apologise if I was misunderstood. I in no way intened to destroy or mangle this rifle. I just didn't know if there was a way to reconvert it properly. I now know there isn't. 8-)
Not a problem. Welcome to the forum. If we can be of any assistance, we will be.

C. S. Lewis