Trigger Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sbkittrell

Trigger Question

Post by sbkittrell »

After I cycle the bolt on my M91/30 (1939) the trigger is tight with no play at all, but on the M44 (1944) and M38 (1943) they are extremely loose to the point of rattling around back and forth. Is this a characteristic of all of the carbines, or the ones built during the war or do I have a problem that I need to fix? I haven't fired the M44 or M38 yet, and I haven't dry fired them, but I do "decock" them by holding the rear of the bolt with my thumb. The trigger pull seems normal once I take the slack up. If I'm using the wrong terminology here let me know. I am a Mosin novice.
Some days it's not even worth gnawing through the restraints.
Izhevsk762

Re: Trigger Question

Post by Izhevsk762 »

The trigger on an M/N ranges from really nice to atrocious. Most mosins are somewhere in between, and some play is normal. Have you taken the stock off either carbine yet? If you do that and the trigger pin doesn't fall out it sounds normal to me.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

I haven't taken the stocks off yet. Thanks I'll do that and see what happens.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

sbkittrell wrote:After I cycle the bolt on my M91/30 (1939) the trigger is tight with no play at all, but on the M44 (1944) and M38 (1943) they are extremely loose to the point of rattling around back and forth. Is this a characteristic of all of the carbines, or the ones built during the war or do I have a problem that I need to fix? I haven't fired the M44 or M38 yet, and I haven't dry fired them, but I do "decock" them by holding the rear of the bolt with my thumb. The trigger pull seems normal once I take the slack up. If I'm using the wrong terminology here let me know. I am a Mosin novice.
That trigger "slop" can be eliminated with one of those add on trigger springs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosin-Nagant-Tr ... 1c17024418

I'm not sure it really changes much, other than some people hate the "slop". Every Mosin is different. Finns have the best handle on triggers. In fact, you could replace the triggers with a Finn (two stage) trigger.

Dolk
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

dolk wrote:
sbkittrell wrote:After I cycle the bolt on my M91/30 (1939) the trigger is tight with no play at all, but on the M44 (1944) and M38 (1943) they are extremely loose to the point of rattling around back and forth. Is this a characteristic of all of the carbines, or the ones built during the war or do I have a problem that I need to fix? I haven't fired the M44 or M38 yet, and I haven't dry fired them, but I do "decock" them by holding the rear of the bolt with my thumb. The trigger pull seems normal once I take the slack up. If I'm using the wrong terminology here let me know. I am a Mosin novice.
That trigger "slop" can be eliminated with one of those add on trigger springs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosin-Nagant-Tr ... 1c17024418

I'm not sure it really changes much, other than some people hate the "slop". Every Mosin is different. Finns have the best handle on triggers. In fact, you could replace the triggers with a Finn (two stage) trigger.

Dolk
Thanks. If it is the way it was built I'll leave them that way, as long as it doesn't effect the operation of the rifle. That's they way they were built, carried and used, so I'll just let it be. I was just curious because the trigger on the the Tula was so tight. It really doesn't bother me at all, as long as the rifle functions like it was supposed to function.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Like he said, I think I would pull the stock and make sure the pin that goes through the trigger has not fallen out. It is a very rare thing, but happens from time to time. If the pin is in there, then, that is the way it is. Just be careful that you don't loose the pin when taking everything apart (like he said). There is so much variation in these rifles, it's hard to decide what is "normal" sometimes.

Dolk