What do I have here?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
cy10

What do I have here?

Post by cy10 »

I've owned this Mosin Nagant probably about 20 years. Finally getting around to seeing what it actually is.

A few things from my limited research that stand out... 1) the stock is much shorter, without the fore grips. 2) the front sight looks like no other Mosin Nagant I've seen. 3) the length is odd based on the ID pages that i've see online, its 42 1/2" overall. Barrel does not appear to have been cut. 4) the bolt handle is not straight, there are no provisions for a scope mount anywhere on the reciever.

Here are some pics, hopefully the experts can weigh in and tell me what this is.

I'm not sure if it's been modified or what. But looking to see what the experts have to say about it. Appreciate the help.
martin08

Re: What do I have here?

Post by martin08 »

Is this import marked? If so, by whom and where is it stamped?

It is most definitely a cut-down M91/30. And if it's been that way since at least 1990, then there is probably little hope to find out where or why it was done.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You have what started off life as a Soviet M1891/30 rifle manufactured at Izhevsk arsenal in 1939. By the look of things someone cut down the barrel, and the stock, bent the bolt handle down, and added some sort of aftermarket front sight. IN short tried to turn it into a commercial sporting rifle, unfortunatly by doing this they destroyed any value the original rifle had as a historical collectable. Now it's a shooter, or if you hunt you could use it for that, 7,62x54r has no trouble taking deer, they trade in the $50-$75 range at gun shows and flea markets, sometimes less as there is no fancy sporter stock on yours.

Once it would have looked like this 1942 Izhevsk M1891/30

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looks like an old Bannermans conversion.

Bannermans Mosin Nagant
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's a 1939 Izhevsk Ron, Bannerman built sporters out of M1891's, by the 1960's they were not building much of anything, and the Soviets were not selling their rifles as surplus to give them a supply to sporterize. Only SCW M91/30's were available as surplus, and 1939 is a somewhat late date for one of them as they tend to be 1936-7 dated rifles or older and stamped with the Made in USSR . This looks more like a home workshop project of more recent years, note the lack of sling rings, and no attempt to fancy up the stock.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I think most of the Bannerman conversions were 30-06 (a dangerous thing). You can tell by the barrel shank is cut down on one. His rifle is not cut down in the shank part so it is still 7.62 x 54r.

Also like JYD said, I think most of the Bannermanns were made out of Remingtons M91's.

It's a sad piece. And it should be in the Sporters forum.

Dolk
cy10

Post by cy10 »

Well this sucks something bad. :sad: That really took the wind out of my sail, so what's it worth? Pretty much junk? Or piece it out?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Buy another one to compare it to :twisted: and then make the call
I don't think any are junk, but the front sight is a killer to me
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Just keep it and start with another, its always a shooter.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Well if you think it is worthless, just step in front of it! :bwink: It will change your mind.

No gun is worthless. In fact, I'll bet it is a panic to fire. It would make a great trunk gun.

What is done to it is done to it. It can't be reversed, so it should be re-tasked with a new job. That would be the best thing you could do for it. Parting it out is an option but, there are so many parts out there right now that would be a terrible thing to do to it. If it were a very rare type of rifle type that did not have parts available and they were needed badly, that would be the way to go. But that is not the case here. Let it be as it is. If I owned it, it would probably end up as my best shooting rifle I own! :oops:

Take your time with it before deciding.

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Fellow forum member entropy has one very similar to that...

I had heard Bannerman's did 7.62x54r conversions Post WWII.

Didn't Sears also offer similar conversions back in the 60's???
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They did but there was no supply of Soviet made Mosins until the fall of the USSR except for the small number of rifles out of Spain. Sears sold mainly Mauser sporters.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:They did but there was no supply of Soviet made Mosins until the fall of the USSR except for the small number of rifles out of Spain. Sears sold mainly Mauser sporters.
I think I have a Spanish Mauser sporter from Sears. :wink:

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I suspect my sported K98k was one of theirs also.
Theodore Roosevelt
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

While it doesnt have much collector value now, it certainly still has some value as a shooter.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
martin08

Post by martin08 »

cy10 wrote:Well this sucks something bad. :sad: That really took the wind out of my sail, so what's it worth? Pretty much junk? Or piece it out?
When we are seeing plentiful amounts of M91/30's on the market today for around $90, none of them without special markings or history are worth a great deal.

So, this one is worth its weight in the shooting category. We've all seen the credit card ads, "Blasting humongous fireballs with thunderous sound.... priceless."

:wink:
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

There is no reason why you can't have a great time shooting it. The front sight is similar to the type Ruger uses on the 10-22's. The Russian ammo is powerful and cheap and easy to find. No deer or hog is safe in front of it. With iron sights it's a great 75 yard hunting rifle for someone with eyesight like me. I'd keep and enjoy it. Oh and march right out and buy another while they are so reasonably priced.