Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B (Range Trip Vids & Pics)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rollndice83

Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B (Range Trip Vids & Pics)

Post by rollndice83 »

Just picked up this M39., I purchased it from a local gun store. It is my second Finnish rifle and they are completely new to me so I'm hoping you guys can help me.It was from an importer in Knoxville,TN and still has cosmoline on it. I took a few real quick pictures of it then had to put it in the safe and tend to the family. I'll have more time after work to really look it over. I bit the bullet and snatched it up quick, the store I got it from is attending a gun show in Gettysburg,Pa this weekend and it was going to go with them .I can't wait to get up to the range and fire this baby. I have four Russians and this and the Tikka M91 I picked up last weekend are my first two Finns so I'm excited to see how they both shoot.. I have a 3 day weekend coming up so ill have the time to give both the attention they deserve and take more pictures and make a couple range trip YouTube videos.

OK PICS NOT SO GOOD NEED DAYLIGHT. TOMORROW I'LL POST A FULL SET
Last edited by rollndice83 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 9 times in total.
desdem12

Re: My New 1942 Finnish M39 B Barrel and Pictures

Post by desdem12 »

:pop: :pop: :pop:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Looks good so far, the unscrubbed receiver is nice too, B-barrels were dated 1942. :)

Sorry about the typo's!
Last edited by bb91 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks great!! the eagle on the reciever is cool, Make sure and get a pic of the lined munber too. Very nice B :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The crossed out number on the receiver is the Finn civil guard district where the rifle that donated your receiver served. You can look up the location on this link.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/Finn ... umbers.asp

Remember that the Finns never made their own receiver. They used rifles and parts inherited when they gained independence from Russia, purchased captured rifles from a third country, or captured them directly from the USSR.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:Looks great!! the eagle on the reciever is cool, Make sure and get a pic of the lined munber too. Very nice B :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
You were right man this is already my favorite. I love them all but this one is really neat. I just need a few more hours in the day. As soon as I get home with it had time to take a few pics then lock it up until tomorrow. I did notice the lined out number on the side of the receiver and was curious about it. That's really neat it was at one time in the hands of the Finnish civil guard. I think the whole history of the B barrel is very cool too. Doesn't sound like a ton of them were made and some went on M91s and some the M39. Do you think this rifle saw combat?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The B barrel M39s were cut from the B barrel M91s. Also i believe the Tikka M39s were cut from the M91s too. The Bs were made after the war and saw no battles of WWII anyway. I'm not sure how many were made but the finn guys do. It is listed somewhere either on mosin.net or 7.62.net. Tis this old mans bed time. :vcool: :thumbsup:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

racerguy00 wrote:The crossed out number on the receiver is the Finn civil guard district where the rifle that donated your receiver served. You can look up the location on this link.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/Finn ... umbers.asp

Remember that the Finns never made their own receiver. They used rifles and parts inherited when they gained independence from Russia, purchased captured rifles from a third country, or captured them directly from the USSR.
Thanks for the link! The crossed out number caught my eye but had no clue what it was for. I'm going to look it up.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Local Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The M39 is the highest form of Mosin Nagant infantry rifle, I would rather have one of these than some piece of shit PU, or SVT40. It's got real battle sights that even a half blind ol' f*** like me can acquire a sight picture with quickly. It has a Finn tuned trigger, a pistol grip stock that fully protects the barrel and floats it, it's magazine is slightly modified for better feeding, it has an excellent barrel with a recessed crown that gives it some protection from dings and dents. You can adjust the front sights windage with a simple screwdriver, and when you take it apart be very careful with any shims you may find under the action. Keep them in their proper order, and put them back in the exact places you found them, the Finns tuned these rifles for accuracy and the shims are one of the ways they did so. Not every M39 has shims, not every one needed them. Great rifle :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The M39 is the highest form of Mosin Nagant infantry rifle, I would rather have one of these than some piece of shit PU, or SVT40. It's got real battle sights that even a half blind ol' f*** like me can acquire a sight picture with quickly. It has a Finn tuned trigger, a pistol grip stock that fully protects the barrel and floats it, it's magazine is slightly modified for better feeding, it has an excellent barrel with a recessed crown that gives it some protection from dings and dents. You can adjust the front sights windage with a simple screwdriver, and when you take it apart be very careful with any shims you may find under the action. Keep them in their proper order, and put them back in the exact places you found them, the Finns tuned these rifles for accuracy and the shims are one of the ways they did so. Not every M39 has shims, not every one needed them. Great rifle :)
Thank you junkyard. When I hold it in my hands you can feel the quality. I really do love my Russian 91/30s and really appreciate them but these M39s are the bees knees. Thanks for heads up on disassembly, to be honest I kinda scratched my head last night like maybe I should do research how it breaks down and any special precautions. What is the tuned trigger? And are the shims just sitting in place in the stock? Anything else I should watch out for later when I take her apart?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They smoothed the triggers out and reduced the pounds of force needed to snap them, less creep most of the time also. The shims are just stuck in there, maybe grease has stick them to the receiver or the wood, when you lift the action out do it very slowly and look as you do it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Shims can be just setting there and they can be tacked into place and sometimes the dried oils and such make them appear to be glued but they will indeed fall out. The Civil Guard number on the receiver could also be from a previous life that receiver had with another rifle and more than likely is with that being an M39. The B barrels will at times exhibit a pinkish purple tinge to the barrel blue. From the pictures I don't see that in yours.

A tuned trigger on a Finn gun can exhibit no apparent modifications and just work awful smooth and nice. I am guessing this is a result of mix and matching parts to get a better break or lighter pull. It can show grinding on the sear making the contact patch less, smoothing the sear with polishing, edges burnished making the break cleaner, heated and bent sears which look markedly different from normal sears, and any number of different things the Finn's tried to do. They put time into tuning these rifles whenever possible and the efforts usually showed in the way they shoot. All M39's shoot well for being battle rifles and most respond very well to ammo type changes. Take you time and find out what the rifle likes and you will show results.

Enjoy and shoot your two first Finn's and be patient with them and you will find they respond well. Bill :wink:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

zeebill wrote:Shims can be just setting there and they can be tacked into place and sometimes the dried oils and such make them appear to be glued but they will indeed fall out. The Civil Guard number on the receiver could also be from a previous life that receiver had with another rifle and more than likely is with that being an M39. The B barrels will at times exhibit a pinkish purple tinge to the barrel blue. From the pictures I don't see that in yours.

A tuned trigger on a Finn gun can exhibit no apparent modifications and just work awful smooth and nice. I am guessing this is a result of mix and matching parts to get a better break or lighter pull. It can show grinding on the sear making the contact patch less, smoothing the sear with polishing, edges burnished making the break cleaner, heated and bent sears which look markedly different from normal sears, and any number of different things the Finn's tried to do. They put time into tuning these rifles whenever possible and the efforts usually showed in the way they shoot. All M39's shoot well for being battle rifles and most respond very well to ammo type changes. Take you time and find out what the rifle likes and you will show results.

Enjoy and shoot your two first Finn's and be patient with them and you will find they respond well. Bill :wink:
Great sounds good I most definitely will. Can you tell me more about the difference in barrel color and what it means? To be honest that picture was under florescent lights but when I looked at it.inside the barrel was not very.black (blued). Is one of the colors better than they other? Thanks
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Thanks for sharing, I like it alot, what a beauty! :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Many B barrels exhibit what is called a Plumb color to the blue, this is a lighter shade than the basic dark found on the receiver, This is caused by the nickle content of the Belgian steel used in the barrels construction if memory serves. It can also be caused by screwups in the bluing process itself, but as every B I see has some degree of plumb blue coloring I suspect the steel.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The sako in the middle has the plum color on the sight slider and a slight plum color to the shank. This what they are talking about. I forgot to mention the shims glad those guys got to you. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I only have 1 M39, but it does have shims. They are held in place on mine by tiny tacks.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

You Sir have one very nice rifle. Great going. I LOVE M39's and collect them when I can. 'zeebill' and JYD are correct as too is desdem12. These rifles are the "best of the best" and you will NEVER go wrong with a B bbl. I am glad you got one, they are going quick, and for a damn good reson. If you see another and want to help a new best buddy........let me know :chuckles: :chuckles: I always have room for another (if my wife isn;t home that is) :thumbsup:

Hey guys, been in FL babysitting a 44 foot sailboat and just got back o SE Massachusetts from a bit of a drive up from the Ft Myers area early this AM. Will be back on when I can get some sleep.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Many B barrels exhibit what is called a Plumb color to the blue, this is a lighter shade than the basic dark found on the receiver, This is caused by the nickle content of the Belgian steel used in the barrels construction if memory serves. It can also be caused by screwups in the bluing process itself, but as every B I see has some degree of plumb blue coloring I suspect the steel.
Hmm another interesting bit of info. My sight slide definitely has the plum color and the barrel shade is different too. I will post some pictures this evening and maybe you can confirm because I'm partial color blind or well red green deficient
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

TopperT wrote:You Sir have one very nice rifle. Great going. I LOVE M39's and collect them when I can. 'zeebill' and JYD are correct as too is desdem12. These rifles are the "best of the best" and you will NEVER go wrong with a B bbl. I am glad you got one, they are going quick, and for a damn good reson. If you see another and want to help a new best buddy........let me now :chuckles: :chuckles: I always have room for another (if my wife isn;t home that is) :thumbsup:

Hey guys, been in FL babysitting a 44 foot sailboat and just got back o SE Massachusetts from a bit of a drive up from the Ft Myers area early this AM. Will be back on when I can get some sleep.
Hey thanks and sounds like your having a good time I'm originally from Mass. Just so you know I already have another B barrel found for you if you want one. The store I bought mine from had 3 M39s. Mine, then a VKT and another B barrel. So if you want it my friend I can talk to store owner they do ship guns to other FFLs. It's $329 I believe. Or if anyone else wants to claim either let me know.