Egyptian Contract SKS

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

Egyptian Contract SKS

Post by martin08 »

I was browsing through the vault the other day, and decided to pull out a little known SKS variant out of the racks, and take some new pics.

The gun is what is referred to as the "Egyptian Contract" by collectors here in the US, though there is no specific documentation available that defines the actual contract. Many SKS's can be found in the Middle East with Arabic markings from nearly every country of manufacture. But this thread will focus on the Chinese guns. A few years ago, I collected data from both Gunboards and Survivor's SKS Boards and documented twenty-six known examples owned by members. All are originally manufactured at the Jianshe factory /26\, and most all from the years of 1965 and 1968. The serial numbers range from 9,029,424 to 9,052,339 in 1965, suggesting a possible approximate 23,000 units. Serials from 1968 range from 12,221,0XX to 12,244,990 or about 24,000 possible units.

Mine is a 1968 model, and the factory/serial is pictured below. Exported by Norinco, and imported by CAI ST ALB VT.

Two very prominent usual features of the Egyptian Contract are the deep blued (not painted) bolt carrier, and the laminated stock, which was made in Russia, with inletting to fit both a blade or a spike bayonet. Mine has the spike, but I've inserted a spare blade in one pic to show the inletting feature.

A typical painted Arabic marking on the buttstock. (Photo, courtesy of Tex of Gunboards)

The stock on mine is most definitely a Russian arctic birch laminate, with 45 to 47 cross-grained laminate layers, wrist crossbolt, "diver's down" refurb stamp on right buttstock, and BBQ paint on the Russian buttstock plate.

Layers, next to Russian stock (on right)

Cross-grained arctic birch lamination, and rear crossbolt.

Russian refurb stamp on right buttstock (sanded and refinished, but still visible)

Buttplate comparison to Russian Refurb (left), Egyptian Contract (center), Russian non-refurb (right)

More pics of the matching metal numbers (bolt itself matches, but not shown), Cyrillic lettered rear sight leaf, non-lightening cut bolt carrier.

Notes:

a). Both the deeply blued bolt, and the double inletted Russian laminated stock are NOT always present in these serial ranges. Bolts in the white, and single inletted hardwood stocks do appear on these guns, but they can show other features that connect them to the Middle East. The two most common related features are 1). The painted Arabic markings on the buttstock, and 2). A stock refinish that employs a VERY gritty and dark colored shellac. This refinish is commonly thought to have been performed at the Maadi Arsenal in Egypt (again, I can find no definitive documentation in relation to the rearsenal process of the SKS). Along with the gritty finish, other action parts have also shown replacement/scrubbing/refinishing to match, further suggesting that a rearsenal process has taken place outside of China, and most likely at Maadi.

b). Mine is CAI import marked from Norinco (established in 1980), suggesting that the gun was never delivered to the Middle East from China, and was subsequently exported to the U.S. in the 1980's or early 1990's. A very few others also show the Norinco stamp. Most show just the CAI stamp, and may have been imported from Kuwait, as confirmed through correspondence between Prince50 of Survivor's SKS and Century Arms.

c). A few Chinese guns have been found outside of the above common serial number ranges, and years of manufacture. They don't necessarily exhibit the Russian laminate stock or blued bolt, but have either the gritty shellac and/or Arabic markings. No specific "batch" of these odd appearing Chinese guns can be determined by serial number ranges or specific years. These are not usually import marked, suggesting that they are possible bringbacks from the Middle East, and from various possible countries (Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Israel). Again, Russian and other country's guns are also found from the region with the gritty shellac and/or painted marks.

d). A few (not many) common Chinese imports have also surfaced in the above serial ranges, with no Egyptian Contract features at all. These have all been arsenal refinished with scrubbed numbers on metal parts other than the receiver, and are fitted with chu wood replacement stocks.

Disclaimer: The above post contains information gathered from the internet, and may be subject to my own interpretation and/or erroneous information. Accept this post's conclusions at your own risk! Any further commentary/documentation is always welcome. Thanks for looking and reading.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Simo

Re: Egyptian Contract SKS

Post by Simo »

I had one of those some years back and thought it was just some guys nice mixing of parts. I sold it on the SKS boards and after that I found out what it was. yours is a lot nicer than mine was though :thumbsup:
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Excellent presentation, and explains the odd Chinese SKS in a laminated stock a friend of mine owned some time back. I don't recall and markings on the stock. but the stock did stand out among the normal run of Chinese SKS stocks. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Excellent presentation, and explains the odd Chinese SKS in a laminated stock a friend of mine owned some time back. I don't recall and markings on the stock. but the stock did stand out among the normal run of Chinese SKS stocks. :)

There are also known examples of actual Chinese laminated stocks, and are not connected with the Egyptian Contract series in any known way. These Chinese laminates are all parallel grained, soft wood, and extremely thin layered. Very pretty guns, too.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

His SKS looked like yours, I had yet to see a Soviet laminated stock at that time, but years later I recognized it, at the time I just assumed it was Chinese. By then he had moved and the SKS was sold along with the rest of his guns, just as well as when he moved back and started accumulating again he turned Bubba. I do know that he got that SKS from a local gun shop sometime before 1993, the rotten remains of the box it came in was in my shed when the roof went, I used to use it to store my bringhome SKS before I got it a nice proper case. I didn't know about the Chinese made laminated stocks either until now, learned two things today :) and now my name and date of birth have been deleted from the mental database to make room :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice, interestin and great write up :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Very interesting rifle and read. :thumbsup: Would these have been used along side Hakims and Rasheeds, or used for fill in/reserve type weapons before Egypt started production of the AK 47?
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Greasemonkey wrote:Very interesting rifle and read. :thumbsup: Would these have been used along side Hakims and Rasheeds, or used for fill in/reserve type weapons before Egypt started production of the AK 47?
Unsure of all of the above, except that anything and everything that still shoots is still being used in the region.
Woodbeef

Post by Woodbeef »

Greasemonkey wrote:Very interesting rifle and read. :thumbsup: Would these have been used along side Hakims and Rasheeds, or used for fill in/reserve type weapons before Egypt started production of the AK 47?
The Rasheeds were made from 1966-68. Never thought about these interesting SKSs and Rasheeds being used at the same time.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Woodbeef wrote:
The Rasheeds were made from 1966-68. Never thought about these interesting SKSs and Rasheeds being used at the same time.
Hakim production ran from '56 to '69, just a curious to where or how they would have fit in Egypt's military.

Still a very nice looking SKS, the dark blued bolt really sets it off :Drool1:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Rasheed I have, and let me tell you hands down I will take the SKS over it any day, absolute piece of shit that has not worked correctly since day one and has managed to break it's parts twice. The Hakim is fine so long as you adjust it's picky gas system, something that was carried over to the Rasheed.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I suspect that any weapon used alongside the Hakim or Rashid would have been dropped in the sand together due to the Israelis.
Chumlee Bumsnag

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

Interesting piece. I have a few Chinese factory 625 and 306 sks's and thought it would be cool to drop a Chinese sks into a russian laminate stock I had laying around. The russian stock was about an 1/8 of an inch too short to fit into the stock retainer(holder) under the barrel of the chinese gun. Yours looks to fit correctly so it is definitely something unique.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Chumlee Bumsnag wrote:Interesting piece. I have a few Chinese factory 625 and 306 sks's and thought it would be cool to drop a Chinese sks into a russian laminate stock I had laying around. The russian stock was about an 1/8 of an inch too short to fit into the stock retainer(holder) under the barrel of the chinese gun. Yours looks to fit correctly so it is definitely something unique.

The threaded barrel/receiver SKS will drop right in to a Russian stock. The pinned barrel SKS has a different receiver length.

In fact, the early years of Chinese manufacture used all Russian parts anyway, so the use of the Russian Laminate for the Egyptian Contract was a good fit all around.
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Rasheed I have, and let me tell you hands down I will take the SKS over it any day, absolute piece of shit that has not worked correctly since day one and has managed to break it's parts twice. The Hakim is fine so long as you adjust it's picky gas system, something that was carried over to the Rasheed.
I had the same problem with the one I had. It would not cycle. Maybe my fault by not understanding the gas system. Also had a Haikem and sold it. Sure wish I had it now. :oops:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There turned out to be a piece missing from the bolt carrier rail, just a tiny piece but it wouldn't travel smoothly, and the transfer bar, ( could be called disconnect bar, I just don't remember) was busted off. Both pieces have been replaced and the rifle stored way in the back of the vaults were I don't have to look at it. I was buying a large number of items from a collector having a divorce sale, I didn't want the Rasheed as he was asking $300, and that was over twice the going SKS rate at the time. A friend of mine begged me to buy it for him, he would buy it from me later, and so on, so I bought it. near 20 years later I still have it, never could get it to shoot right even with knowing how to use the gas system. The Hakim, no problem, the Rasheed nothing but, why the hell they couldn't just copy the dam SKS I don't know, they had to get creative.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Derived from the Ljunjgman designed by Erik Eklund ,the Rasheed was a scaled down attempt to improve Hakim minus the muzzle brake and chambered with the Soviet 43. It was a stop gap measure to equip reserves and police between 1959 and 1960 until full production of the AK was attained and to fire Soviet 43 ammo . Must not have been very good because only 8,000 were produced.Appearance was close to the Hakim and the SKS with a folding bayonet.No wonder because the LjungmanHakim action could not take the desert sand and was bigger than the SAFN Model 49 with a muzzle brake that thew up a cloud of dust when fired in the prone position. Not a good idea in the desert. I guess that's why they left the muzzle brake off the Rasheed. Still didn't help. WE won again. :chuckles: JGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Thanks for the reminder but I am familiar with what the Rasheed looks like, I see it every time I go into the vault, sitting there waiting to bust again and cost me more money.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Adding to the topic above, I recently acquired another Chinese Type-56 Carbine with some interesting features. The Jianshe Arsenal /26\ SKS, with original matching serial number 9048960, fits nicely within the general serial number range of the 1965 production guns. Yet, it does not exhibit the features of the Russian laminated stock, nor the typical blued bolt carrier.

However, this example bears the painted Arabic numeral rack numbers that are sometimes found on the Egyptian Contract specimens. A yellow painted number "1" appears on the left buttstock, and white painted "1 | 2" marks appear on the right buttstock.

The gun, itself, is in non-refurbished condition, and exhibits much field wear and appropriate patina. It has the Chinese chu wood stock that is inletted only for the blade bayonet. As a big bonus, it also came with a well worn, soiled and sweat stained Romanian leather sling.

It is CAI marked on the barrel, and was likely imported in roughly the same time frame (mid to late 1980's) as my Soviet-made example that is posted here;

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=120740.0

Another peculiar feature is found in the buttstock trap, which has a decayed and broken return spring for the cleaning kit door. A small piece of blue colored wax-type paper or tape is caught under the buttplate itself. I will likely not remove the buttplate to investigate, as it is quite deteriorated across the top, and I don't want to damage it any further.

This is an example of a gun that should be kept in the same condition as it is found. Not many of these former Egyptian-owned SKS's show up on the market. I feel very privileged to place this very uncommon specimen with all my other SKS's that were issued and carried in conflict regions.

Some more pics, and thanks for looking.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt