Drew a Deer Tag This Year

etprescottazusa91

Drew a Deer Tag This Year

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

IMG_0209.JPG
It can be difficult to draw a deer tag in Arizona. Since moving into the state 12 years ago I finally did, and now I can finally post something in this topic thread. Hopefully this is only one post on this thread with some updates later. I'm counting that this November I may actually get a clean shot at one. Was out last weekend with a friend at a range he joined in the Phoenix area. I need some practice from my target posted, my rifle is not sighted in where I want it, or its me one way or the other I need to tighten up my groups. Remington model 700 BDL, old Redfield 4X scope, rifle has a 20" barrel the Blue Book said 1960 only year manufactured with that barrel length. After some deliberation with some members and additional research date looks good, we know the rifle is an older example.
There were a number of people shooting a number of different rifles on the firing line. When I fired the Rem 700 in 30-06 I set off three car alarms in the parking lot. No kidding, this rifle is louder and recoils worse than any milsurp I own.

I'll also get to carry my dads old Randall for the first time in many years, he purchased brand new at Marshal Field and Company in Chicago for $50.00 in 1959 told me my mom was real unhappy spending that kind of money on a knife, try buying a Randall today, same model is still in production. First wore that knife tagging along when I was five on hunting trips, I carried the knife and scared off the deer. Only been wore on deer hunts during my life, and looks like it will get carried again.

While shooting at the range I'll admit the bench and rest were nice but on the subject of handgun shooting I like shooting cans, I just want to see something knocked over, fly away, paper just does not do it for me. One plus was that the range officer came over to check out the Swedish model 96 and the Arisaka model 38 as did several members. As nice as the model 96 is it was the Arisaka model 38 that had a few admirers saying they had not seen a Jap rifle before with a couple beautiful comments. Lots of black plastic guns out that day, some day I'll buy one. The nice thing, at this range no comments like is that safe to shoot? Or you can't shoot that old thing here. No I was advised that in the fall there are competitive milsurp shoots and that if I were to join that would be an activity the range master thought I would enjoy, gave me the paper work. He threw in most shoot Schmidt Rubin's no wonder everyone is practically a match rifle, lots of Mausers they never see an Arisaka on the range and have never had a competitive Arisaka shoot. I may have to get some dyes and start reloading this caliber because some milsurp shoots sounds like fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
desdem12

Re: Drew a Deer Tag This Year

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Lucky dog you. Do you have an area? Like the north strip or did you get the apaches? There are stories of the size of muleys from the north :beek: :big shock: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

What a difference a state or two can make, huh? We have counties here where you can buy as many anterless deer tags as you want, here in the central eastern and southern counties we can only buy one "Any deer" and hope to get a buck, because then you can buy an anterless deer tag as well. Although you could get two for each type of season, such as centerfire and blackpowder for a total of four deer, if you're lucky enough to get one. My buddy went out last year on the centerfire portion and never saw a deer at all, went back out on the blackpowder portion and six minutes later was dragging a deer out!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

That's really cool. I like the rifle. This makes me appreciate where I am even more. Very relaxed regs. here. $15 for basic resident hunting license and $14 for big game stamp. $300 for lifetime and that includes all stamps. We can get 3 antlered and 3 antlerless no matter what sex except in a few areas. You can get two per day. Good luck, looking forward to the update.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Good luck this season.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Best of luck to you :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Good hunting! Hoping to go out this year myself.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Good luck with the hunt! I'm hoping this season will be my first :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

I like that vintage gear! :thumbsup: However I think your date should be 1970, not 1960. The Model 700 replaced the earlier Models 721, 722, and 725 in 1962. Your stock style is the nice early BDL type used to about 1972 IIRC.

Good Luck!

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Good luck hope you get one with your dads rifle. Not like my dad did with his truck in Wisconsin and again in Kentucky . He got more with the front end of his truck than some do with their gun. Luckily he only got scratches. Donated the deer to the local food banks. They are a real problem at sometimes of the year in those places.The Wisconsin deer were Mules and very large with many points,too bad.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The deer make me thousands of dollars every year when folks wreck their cars and either junk them or buy parts to fix them. Mr. Bambie and his mom are real cool that way :devil2:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Here, we are limited to two antlered deer, per day, during the regular season. My wife has taken three with a Izuzu Rodeo. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

In Arizona even harder to draw an Elk tag and the only thing worse than hitting a deer, hitting an Elk. Of course if you hit a cow, range cattle, not cow elk (happens all the time) well your liable for the damaged livestock, cattle don't have to carry insurance.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Congratulations on your tag! Makes me appreciate that I can buy deer license for $30.00, Archery, Rifle or Black Powder. We have big muleys and white tail. License was only $15 when I first started buying them around 1978.

Good hunting! :toast:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I almost took a buck this morning with a car I very likely have sold, I have that money already mentally spent so I would be seriously pissed off to lose it. Better the customer ruins the car after paying for it and then I can sell him replacement parts :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

ET, that is such a beautiful Remington. I had a mint early 700 ADL in 30/06 25 years ago, but it was stolen. It was extemely loud and kicked like a mule too! I can only imagine that carbine length barrel. Good luck on the hunt. That sounds like a great opportunity.
etprescottazusa91

SA1911a1 wrote:Here, we are limited to two antlered deer, per day, during the regular season. My wife has taken three with a Izuzu Rodeo. :D

Thanks everyone, you too Bunkysdad for the encouragement I'm looking forward to November. All off you that live in states with an abundance of easily huntable deer and game are very fortunate. We have a lot of game in Arizona and the front end of of our vehicles is how much of it is taken. It's getting permission to hunt the game where we know it's at that is the challenge. Then the real challenge, the geography, this is one rugged state with canyons and mountains and all sort of thick vegetation in between with few roads and some rough jeep trails, this is one part of the country where a person can stand on a bluff or canyon wall and see almost a hundred miles, the deer can see that far too and move a lot faster.

Adolph Hitler – 1933
etprescottazusa91

IMG_0521.JPG
Okay got the Remington to the range today. We did not have access to the 100 yard range due to an event and had to finish sighting in on the 75 yard. The 700 had not been sighted in for over twenty years perhaps, figured out the old Weaver scope adjustments and was making a 3 shot 1" group in a short time, I may take out the rifle for one more shoot if time permits, still I'm feeling ready for November.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt