1928 Izhevsk non-import non-updated dragoon, maybe SCW

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

1928 Izhevsk non-import non-updated dragoon, maybe SCW

Post by racerguy00 »

I picked up this well used and very well worn dragoon a while back, on the chance that it may be a Spanish Civil War rifle. I still think it may be one.

The particulars..Non import marked, no USSR stamp, total mismatch. The stock is a 36 Izhevsk 91/30 stock, and the butt plate serial number falls within the range of known SCW rifles if, and this is a big if, it is original to the stock. Heavy patina covers the metal, but no real pitting to speak of, except under where a bayonet would reside. The stock is sanded, but a lot left Spain that way. also, it came with a Panshin bayonet missing the hood. There is tape residue on the forearm where someone tried to keep the bands from sliding around. I just left it alone. The magazine floor plate looks like it was replaced, it's patina doesn't quite match.

It's my first and so far only dragoon. It's rough, a little ugly, but I like it.

Oh, this rifle came from a seller in New Orleans, so it survived it's military service, years of prowling Bubbas, Hurricane Katrina, and lastly a rough ride in a Fed Ex truck that crashed with about 2 dozen other vehicles in a big winter pileup on it's way here from the seller. :shock:
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
desdem12

Re: 1928 Izhevsk non-import non-updated dragoon, maybe SCW

Post by desdem12 »

Well what ever its past history its present sure is eventful. :big shock: :vcool: What is up with the stock splice? Or is that the tape residual? Nice one. :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Looks like a honest old vet. Nice!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

That's the tape residue. The part that's on the wood isn't sticky anymore, so I left it alone. I just cleaned off the part that was still adhered to the barrel bands.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
SDH1903

Post by SDH1903 »

JUST PLAIN SUPER! I love the Dragoons-Steve
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice Dragoon:) Not every issued Mosin is a SCW rifle, plenty enough fought in other wars. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Very nice patina, really rounds out the package. Certainly the case for "if not from SCW, then from where?"
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Teleoceras

Post by Teleoceras »

Very nice piece of history you have there! :thumbsup:
VKT 1944 M39
Tula 1935 M91/30
SAKO 1941 M39 Straight stock
Tula 1939 M91/30
Tikka 1942 M91
Tikka 1928 M27
Tula 1936 M91/30 Finnish rebuilt
Tikka 1944 M91/30
SAKO 1942 M39
Tula 1930 M91 Dragoon Finnish capture
SAKO SK.Y 1943 M39
SIG 1928 M28
Tula 1898 M91

-Teleoceras
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

martin08 wrote:Very nice patina, really rounds out the package. Certainly the case for "if not from SCW, then from where?"
Some Eastern European backwater maybe, import marks, or the lack of them should not be taken as gospel as to when something came into the country. With thousands of rifles coming in the importers have been known to miss one sometimes, and then there is Korea. North Korea received a great deal of Soviet aid in the form of small arms as did China, many of these rifles ended up coming home with American GI's as trophy's of war, many of these would be Soviet era rifles and have no import marks.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt