What have we here?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Ben Bowyang

What have we here?

Post by Ben Bowyang »

http://usedguns.com.au/used_military_rifles.html

Seller's Description
Make: Tikkakoski Oy
Hexagonal receiver, barrel dated 1941. Bright bore with very good rifling. Finish Army property marks and chamber marked, 'Afghanistan'. Mismatched serial numbers. No rod however sling is included.

What do you make of the 'Afghanistan' marking on the receiver?
SA1911a1

Re: What have we here?

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is pretty neat. I haven't a clue about Afganistan.

Does this one have a tang date?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Ben Bowyang

Post by Ben Bowyang »

SA1911a1 wrote:Does this one have a tang date?
It's not mentioned in the ad and at this point I haven't enquired further.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Kinda spendy if you ask me. I just picked up a Finn M91 for $150. Finn or Finned M91's are all over the place way South of $400 right now. For that money, you could contact Dennis at Empire & he could set you up with a beauty. That one looks to be a bit much.Afghanistan stampings??? Never heard of them... I always thought they were marked upon arrival with Donkey Dung, not stampings. But who knows??? I'm surely not an expert. :roll: :P

Anyone??
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Psssst, hey Ron, that is an Austrailian auction site. That might be just the right price there.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Longcolt44 wrote:Psssst, hey Ron, that is an Austrailian auction site. That might be just the right price there.
:shock: :shock: :shock: OH SH!TE!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

A Thousand apologies....

My wife calls me Buttnugget for a reason..
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The simple explanation is that the weapon was brought home by a member of the ADF participating in Operation Slipper in Afghanistan. It could have been a rifle captured by the SOviets during WW2 and later sent as aid to the Afgan commies during the Soviets war in that country back in the 1980's. Does Australia require the country of origin to be stamped on imported rifles? Or maybe it was done by the soldier so people would know were he captured the rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

I think JYD is right, or at least on the right track. Anyone familiar with Austrailian import/bringback regulations?
Ben Bowyang

Post by Ben Bowyang »

Here's some info regarding the importation of firearms:
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resou ... rearms.pdf

These rules would also apply in bring-back circumstances.

There is no requirement for country of origin stamping in Australia.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very interesting. Some rumors of black market afgan guns way back. Kind of like the cowboys selling to the indians to fight the cowboys, not sure about markings though :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)