bolt won't close with round. :(

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jeremyb

Re: bolt won't close with round. :(

Post by jeremyb »

well I got the rifle back from the gun smith who said it was now working... Got it home and still doesn't.. at least he didn't charge me this time. I took the bolt out of the my other rifle the M44 and it works fine. I ordered a new bolt head the other day. I'll swap it out when I get it, and It should work.

jb
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well i am glad he didn't charge you. We have heard this tale before. They are not familiar with these old guns and don't care to learn. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remember to check the headspace when you sweap a bolt or bolt head. Swapping bolt heads is how Mosin headspace can be corrected, the Okie gauge will check it in seconds.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Remember to check the headspace when you sweap a bolt or bolt head. Swapping bolt heads is how Mosin headspace can be corrected, the Okie gauge will check it in seconds.
Thanks I have a set of those okie gauges on the way already. I got all 3.

Jb
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Good, they will be useful in testing your next few hundred Mosins :D
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

bolt won't close with round. :(

Post by mrb7 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote::vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Good, they will be useful in testing your next few hundred Mosins :D
I knew these things breed at night.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I'm seeing a burr on the top of the extractor. That would prevent closing with a round in it. I would use a Swiss file or some very fine sandpaper and clean it up and remove the burr. Check the chamber also to see if you can feel a burr in there. If you are hesitant to do any of this, see a gunsmith. If I were closer i would help you out.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Longcolt44 wrote:I'm seeing a burr on the top of the extractor. That would prevent closing with a round in it. I would use a Swiss file or some very fine sandpaper and clean it up and remove the burr. Check the chamber also to see if you can feel a burr in there. If you are hesitant to do any of this, see a gunsmith. If I were closer i would help you out.
A clean, dry q-tip is handy for checking the chamber for burrs. Swirl it around in the chamber and the tiniest of burrs will snag the cotton.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Longcolt44 wrote:I'm seeing a burr on the top of the extractor. That would prevent closing with a round in it. I would use a Swiss file or some very fine sandpaper and clean it up and remove the burr. Check the chamber also to see if you can feel a burr in there. If you are hesitant to do any of this, see a gunsmith. If I were closer i would help you out.
I ordered a new bolt head with an extractor earlier in the week. It showed up today. I'll try it when I get home. I took the bolt out of the M44 and tried it in this rifle and it worked fine. so I'm thinking the new bolt head will work. I'll post an update tonight.

Thanks

jb
Celt

Post by Celt »

You got this one no prob :thumbsup: lem!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

z31jaime wrote:P.S.

Don't waste your $ on the Snap caps, because they are slightly smaller than the OEM ammo, and if the headspace is off or something is wrong they will work just fine and make you think WTF.

Also I went through a lot of headake with this rifle but now that its fixed I love it even more then when I got it. I've taken almost every part of it apart and I now know how to fix almost anything that can go wrong with it.

$20 bucks says he is using snap caps, as Most gunsmiths wont use live ammo and don't have a range to test fire the rifle, (at least in my area). If you look in the links I posted you can see a clear size difference. The first gunsmith I took it to refused to run live ammo, and when I showed him the difference he blamed the ammo as being "out of spec". when I purchased a BNIB pack of wolf ammo from him and opened it it was the same size as my surplus ammo and larger than the snap caps. He then handed me my rifle and said he did all he could do with it, as he was not going to run live ammo to figure out whats wrong.
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Well Great news.. I swaped out the bolt head and the Mosin now loads perfectly. The Okie Headspace guages should be here any day, and I'll check that before I shoot it... I was so happy to have it work.. Should have never took this to the gun smith.. That as you guys already know was a wast of time.

thanks everyone for the help.

JEREMY
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

great. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Excellant. :thumbsup: :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Well I got my head space gauges today.. Thanks OKIE... Both my mosins pass.. I'm trying to find some where to shoot tomorrow.

By bonnoughj at 2012-07-17
Celt

Post by Celt »

:toast: :clap: dance5 :wave: :dance: :dance: :bow: :bravo: :Gjob:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

p.s. Now you owe us a range report or better yet a video report. :thumbsup:
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Celt wrote:p.s. Now you owe us a range report or better yet a video report. :thumbsup:
I can do that.. :popgun:
Celt

Post by Celt »

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!