bolt won't close with round. :(

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
desdem12

Re: bolt won't close with round. :(

Post by desdem12 »

I am betting you will get it to work with the cleaning. It is hard to tell from your pics but is the face of the extractor smooth or is there a "ridge" at the bottom? The face needs to be mostly smooth or it will catch on the rim of a bullet and cause the problem you are having. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

thanks for all the info.. I spend a couple of hours today cleaning the rifle again. Ran boling water down it and and scrubed everything I could. Still does the same thing. So I just droped it off at the local gun smith for him to look at. Well see what he says. might spend more in the repairs that I did for the rifle. lol.. still happy I got it tho.

jeremy
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

You got LOTS of great advice. Get a headspace gage (or set) from OKIE. They ship VERY fast and their gages are worth their weight in gold. Believe it!

Get some Q-Tips...try and find the really long ones (hard to get-call your dentist or Doctor and see if you can scoff up a few. SOAK the tips in a really really good degreaser/gunk cleaner. I have used most all of them and Break-Free is good, so too are many of the others. Use the long (or in a pnch)-shot ones) Q-Tips and with a flashlight scrub the tiny recesses of the chamber.

I had a ver similar issue to the one you have posted and it was the dried crud in the area of between the 1 and 5 o'clock positions of the inner chamber.
Blast in some GunScrubber too. It helps. The dried stuff adhears like superglue! Its hard to break free but once its out it make a hell of a difference.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Rainman1977

Post by Rainman1977 »

You Tube has several good videos on how to disassemble and clean your rifle. I bought a 4.0” dia PVC pipe and one end-cap. After complete disassembly I put the barrel down the pipe and poured in mineral spirits. All the smaller parts, including the disassembled bolt, you can use any shallow pan. Good luck. You will love the rifle.

RM
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It doesn't look obviously wrong, but I would take a sharpie marker and color the bevel on the extractor, and then try to chamber a round. The sharpie will be rubbed off where the rim meets the bevel. When you see how they meet up, it may be more obvious as to what the problem is. I would guess that a little careful polishing, increasing the angle of the bevel, should help it. see the crude green drawings on the pic. You just dont want to make the hook to short to grasp the rim well.

Good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Good luck gunsmith. Get out the wallet, remove a Benjamin, and prepare to hand it over!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

bunkysdad wrote: Good luck gunsmith. Get out the wallet, remove a Benjamin, and prepare to hand it over!
I am hoping this gunsmith is better then the last one. I cringed when i read that. :shock:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Well the gun smith called and said it was done.. When I got there he said he had to bend it out alittle and did some polishing. Handed over 75 bucks. When I got home I loaded it up and tried it. And it now works about every other time. :angry4: I think the extractor is hitting the round instead of going around it. Just dropped it off again. I think the same thing is going to happen. I think I'm going to have to buy the parts and do this my self. Found some videos on how to replace the extractor on youtube. I just wonder why I allways have proublems with this stuff.. I even paid more for a gun in excellent condition. :chuckles: I'll let you guys know how it works out..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Next time take a little time and let us try to help you some. If it is the extractor it is a simple fix and you yourself can do it. If you have a dremel you can polish the extractor face. There are gunsmiths out there that are not familiar with these and don't have any idea what they are doing. We have seen it at least 10 times before. They don't know or don't care to know how to fix these old weapons. :vconfused:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you want something done right you just have to do it yourself.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

bolt head with extractor is about $24 on ebay. liberty tree -a site sponser-has them also. or just buy a new extractor and remove old one and install new one. new extractor is about $12.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

kermit wrote:bolt head with extractor is about $24 on ebay. liberty tree -a site sponser-has them also. or just buy a new extractor and remove old one and install new one. new extractor is about $12.
yes, I saw that.. Wasn't sure that was the proublem or I would have got that. Now that I'm pretty sure it is I'll try that if the gun smith doesn't fix the it. At least I'm learning alot about all this, and I'll know what to do next time. :thumbsup:

jb
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

There is nothing wrong or taboo about fixing a broken part. Have at it. The very last place i would go is to a gunsmith. If you don't feel comfortable changing the extractor then change the bolt head that already has one in it. :thumbsup:
Celt

Post by Celt »

Yup! Just like that. :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

FIX IT and go shoot it. (also buy a Elby sight tool) :thumbsup:
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

Man your story sounds EXACTLY like mine...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2020
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2792
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5460&p=81432#p81432

In the end I spent more on Gunsmithing than I paid for the gun.

A quick tip...... find a gunsmith that works with MilSurp and antique guns. I ran all over the city to multiple gunsmith and got screwed each time. Now adays any idiot who can take apart your Keltec or Hipoint is considered a gunsmith. I finally found a guy that did excelent work on my co workers .303's and he ended up fixing mine.

Following the steps From my Threads. #1 GET A HEADSPACE KIT. HAD I OF DONE THAT I WOULD HAVE SAVED ALL MY PROBLEMS and $$$$$. a member on here was kind enough to send me a no go guage, and a spare bolt. to test mine. (unfortunatly it was the GO guage that I needed as I didn't have enough headspace... didn't know that until after all the work).
#2 Just buy the extractor. Mine was less than $5 and was a finnish surplus NOS. So its still semi correct if your worried about that.
#3 If the headspace checks out, then you will more than likely have a peace of old shell stuck in the chaimber requireing a reamer.

In my case, the No go guage checked out fine, but the 2 extra bolts I had and the 1 OEM bolt I had all caused the same issue, this allowed me to rule out the extractor itself, as well as anything "wrong" with the bolts themselves, as they worked fine on there individual rifles. Once I got it to a good gunsmith, he checked the "go" headspace and realized that depending on which guage he used he got different readings (I assume OKIE style vs. the full sized ones). That told him that something was off. He inspected the chaimber and found a small peace of shell that was fused to the chamber, he reamed the gun, then adjusted the headspace as needed. and now she works like a sewing machiene. :popgun:
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

P.S.

Don't waste your $ on the Snap caps, because they are slightly smaller than the OEM ammo, and if the headspace is off or something is wrong they will work just fine and make you think WTF.

Also I went through a lot of headake with this rifle but now that its fixed I love it even more then when I got it. I've taken almost every part of it apart and I now know how to fix almost anything that can go wrong with it.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Z knows what he is talking about. I would listen to him. I am glad you stuck with it Z and all is good now. :D :thumbsup:
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Thanks Z. And everyone else. I ordered a bolt head that comes with the extractor last night. As soon as I get the gun back from the gun smith. If it doesn't work I'll see about polishing the extractor on the oem one first. Then I'll swap out the bolt head. I need to order those head space Gage's. I shoul have done all the reading on this forum before I took it to the gun smith. I just figured they were the experts and it would be quick and easy. Lol
Celt

Post by Celt »

Now you're on the right track! These rifles are real easy to work on. If you have any questions just ask. We will do what ever we can to solve the problem. Keep us poste :D d.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!