any way to track the history of a specific Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
archie72490

any way to track the history of a specific Mosin Nagant

Post by archie72490 »

I know that you can see when and where most were manufactured (mine is from 1938 but I cant tell where it was made because there is no large arsenal stamp, but I suspect its from tula based on what I have read about 2 cyrillic letters before the serial no.) Is there any form of record based on the serial number of who they were issued to or anything like that? (I know that as a pre war gun mine may or may not have been used in WWII) I am extremely interested in the history of the rifle, and I would like to learn as much as I can about it.
BuckeyeSgt

Re: any way to track the history of a specific Mosin Nagant

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Have you looked to see if there is a mark on the tang?
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
archie72490

Post by archie72490 »

Thanks for the help, I haven't had a chance to break it down and do the first full cleaning yet but I actually just found what looks like a small and worn down Izhevsk stamp on the barrel
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

archie72490 wrote:I know that you can see when and where most were manufactured (mine is from 1938 but I cant tell where it was made because there is no large arsenal stamp, but I suspect its from tula based on what I have read about 2 cyrillic letters before the serial no.) Is there any form of record based on the serial number of who they were issued to or anything like that? (I know that as a pre war gun mine may or may not have been used in WWII) I am extremely interested in the history of the rifle, and I would like to learn as much as I can about it.
No, there are no records available that shows who it was issued to nor which group or battalion or anything like that.

The serial numbers were done in batches by the prefix letters. When a certain were made, they changed the letters and started again. There were no set number in a certain prefix, it could be 10,000 in a prefix or 60,000. I'm sure they kept track of how many were made in each group, but they will not release that even today.

So in theory you could have many #300 all with different prefix letters. So just because you get a low number does not mean it was done early in that year. In fact it could have been done late in the year. All this was done so the other side could not get a handle on how many you they were turning out.

Keep in mind, they reused parts over and over. Not as bad as the Finn's did, but it happens. The only way to know if the barrel is with it's original receiver is to remove it and look under the tang of the receiver.

Dolk
archie72490

Post by archie72490 »

Thanks, I hope you will excuse my ignorance on this, I'm really interested in the history, but the only other military surplus rifles I have held were the 2 other mosins in the shop today and a "parade gun" M1 garand that had the firing pin removed and the barrel filled with cement when I got sent to military camp as a kid.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

It's one of those fun things that you can learn something new everyday.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

We love to see people (especially new owners) learning about these rifles. They are pieces of history you can hold in your hand and this is why we choose to try to preserve these rifles.

Many people today see the Mosin as a "cheap" disposable rifles that is so cheap they justify destroying them on a work bench. What we say here is, that is the same attitude that was prevalent with the k98k Mausers in the 1950 and 60's. Now some of those rifles are worth $1500 and more.

Respect the history and the rifle.

Dolk
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Sorry archie, we all wish they could talk. I have even gone so far as to put them in a dark room and leave them with a big bottle of good vodka hoping they would get drunk and break their silence, no luck.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If you could post a pic of the top of the barrel, we can probably tell you where your rifle was made.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Archie, it always starts with "one gun".
We have met the enemy and he is us.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I would bet pretty heavy on a '38 Izhevsk being used in ww2, they used all they had old and new. Pics would help and then we could see what marks and condition it is in and know more about it. Beware as the guys have said on can not quench your thurst for knowledge and only will buying more for "research" will help :biggrin: :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

It was made at the Izhevsk arsenal.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
archie72490

Post by archie72490 »

Thanks, I thought I noticed the Izhevsk stamp but I wasn't completely sure. I see what yall mean about this just being the first. This and another recent gun purchase have already gotten me back on track to go to gunsmithing school (a dream I gave up a year or so ago to focus on a boring behind a desk job). Now to start looking for local places selling the other models of Mosins.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Good luck with that (finding other models) they are getting scarce. And good luck with the gunsmithing :D You might beable to find an m44, but m38s are real hard to get. I have 3 m38s but all 3 are in m44 stocks and i have been looking for a while for one in the correct stock :brolleyes:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Is it a shop or a person selling it? Some people tell great fibs about their guns and inflate the price. I very highly double doubt that it is unissued though, maybe refurbished and a new barrel but...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Hello Archie. Welcome from the Tallahassee area.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
archie72490

Post by archie72490 »

I know this is probably the wrong place to post this but since i had a thread started I figured I'd go ahead. I had a pretty severe shoulder injury and intensive surgery about 3 years ago, and my shoulder is semi prone to dislocating so I am wondering what the recoil is like so that I can decide whether or not to buy a limbsaver slip on recoil pad? The rifle gets back from the gunsmith that is safety checking it in a week or so, and I plan on shooting it for the first time as soon as I get it back. I don't want to waste a days range fee on firing a single round or just a couple of rounds, but at the same time I don't really want to spend the 30-40 bucks on a recoil pad that I don't really need.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Recoil is similar to a 12 ga. shotgun. If I had a shoulder injury, I might invest in the limbsaver pad.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I'd agree will Millman, it's not terrible but the slip on pad would be a good investment especially if you already had surgery. Small price to pay compared to possible DR's bills. Not trying to scare you away, it's just like insurance. You pay hoping you won't need it. :lol:
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F