stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jeremyb

stock

Post by jeremyb »

Which are better Laminated stocks or the hard wood.. I see both were made.. I just ordered my first mosin, and I got a laminated stock.. Realized later there were both.

thanks for the info..

JEREMY
desdem12

Re: stock

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome Jeremyb. The correct answer is both. :thumbsup: :lol: You need at least one of each. But seriously they are both good. The lammys were made late cause they were short on wood. They also resist warping like the hardwood ones. It is nice to have a lammy in the fold but there are a few different styles of hardwood that most people like. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

desdem12 wrote:Welcome Jeremyb. The correct answer is both. :thumbsup: :lol: You need at least one of each. But seriously they are both good. The lammys were made late cause they were short on wood. They also resist warping like the hardwood ones. It is nice to have a lammy in the fold but there are a few different styles of hardwood that most people like. :D
I thought that would be the ans.. Should have looked before I bought.. I think I would perfer the hard wood.. Whats under the lammy? Cheap wood? Sorry for the questions this is new to me..

THANKS

JEREMY
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The lamminate stocks are made out of plywood glued together. They usually fetch more money. I have a lammy as well as alot of guys here. There is nothing wrong with the laminate stocks just some preferences. The hardwood is good and the laminate is good. If you like the hardwood you are allowed to have 2 rifles here at this forum. :thumbsup: :lol: (I swear i only have 2 :thumbsup: )
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

desdem12 wrote:The lamminate stocks are made out of plywood glued together. They usually fetch more money. I have a lammy as well as alot of guys here. There is nothing wrong with the laminate stocks just some preferences. The hardwood is good and the laminate is good. If you like the hardwood you are allowed to have 2 rifles here at this forum. :thumbsup: :lol: (I swear i only have 2 :thumbsup: )
Thanks for the info.. I haven't even got my 1st one yet, but I'm allready looking for more.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The laminated stocks are made from the same tree, the arctic birch. They are more dense because of the glue resin and thus slightly heavier, helping in controlling recoil, but hindering in holding sight patterns for extended aiming times.

Laminates make for better clubs, too.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't have any laminated stocks yet but they do make a gun look nice. I always intend to order one but something else keeps coming up. If you got a lammy for your first you did fine. There are so many variations that you can collect them and have a pile of rifles that have their own personality. Just have fun with it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Laminated stocks can be found on German Mauser's as well, at least the ones made during or shortly before the war. The US had more than enough wood for good stock blanks so you will not see lammy's on our stuff, The Japanese experimented with the idea but it went no place, they had the worst wood stocks of the war, Japan has little to no hardwood. I prefer a good solid piece of American Black Walnut, but Birch will do, the Lammys are more of a late war/post war thing.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

thanks guys..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No problem, by the way, American black walnut was used by Remington and Winchester when they produced the M1891 for Russia during the Great War, they turn up on a lot of Finn Mosins , but can be found on any M1891 thanks to rebuilds swapping parts, and on rifles that never left the states of course.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

JYD, gonna have to see pics of that nice American black walnut stock on the Winchester Mosin Nagant M1891..... or it didn't happen!

:P :P :P

:wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Heats rotting my brain, that should say Westinghouse :lol: :lol: :lol: I do have Walnut on a Winchester but that one's an M1 Garand.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Heats rotting my brain, that should say Westinghouse :lol: :lol: :lol: I do have Walnut on a Winchester but that one's an M1 Garand.

Sweet... 8-)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Jeremy, one thing that you may be confused about is that the laminated stock isn't wood covered in a laminate like a cheap WalMart bookshelf. In this case it means several flat pieces of birch, I'm guessing an 1/8th inch think in the case of mine, glued together in many layers to make up the entire thickness of the stock. Very sttong. I was never a 'laminate' guy until I got a laminate stock ex-dragoon Mosin. It changed my way of thinking. Enjoy!
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

I dont like the lammys because I fired my lammys too much and it warped the stock and cracked it
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

OK TMK to be fair to the new guys here, When you tell that story you have to include how many shots and how much time you did it in. :thumbsup: :D
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Themosinkid95 wrote:I dont like the lammys because I fired my lammys too much and it warped the stock and cracked it

This has got to be a first. We need pictures to back this up.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

When you think laminate just think of plywood.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I like the look. I just ordered 2 more. I got a '36 and a '37 from AIM earlier this year and wanted two more to fill up a gun rack given to me. I have another laminate but it is a'43 Mosin M38.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i love my plywood stock :chuckles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.