Is Prvi 182 grain OK?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Grello

Is Prvi 182 grain OK?

Post by Grello »

Just noticed that my Prvi stuff is 182 grain FMJ. Is that going to be OK in my 1926 and 1945 babies? :?

Cheers
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Is Prvi 182 grain OK?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yours are refurbished Mosin 91/30's, they will handle it fine as they would any ammo made for the Mosin rifles, how well they will shoot would require range testing. Mosins are well known to be picky eaters, results can vary.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Grello

Post by Grello »

Thanks JYD. Yup, one's an ex-Dragoon, the other's an M44. Got a 100m range day on Thursday (unless it rains) and I'll be able to see how they group with the Prvi and with the 1977 Milsurp stuff. Cool.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Grello if you can get some pictures of your rifles at the range, and your targets, those are the kind of thing we love to share around here.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have had excellant results from winchester white box in the 180 gr. They were really acccurate and i was out shooting the plastic rifle crowd. I was using it in a 40 M91 VKT though. I have used the 203 bear i think it is in a M44 and it liked it. Tried it in a couple of 91/30s too. I think prvi is making the winchester anyway so it should be the same. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Grello

Post by Grello »

Thanks guys. Yup, bunkysdad, with this range (unlike the knock down man targets on the sniper range) we collect our paper after each detail, so I'll be able to show a few pix of it (unless I shoot real bad!). I'd like to get some pix of the flamethrower in action, :biggrin: :biggrin: so I'll see what I can muster.

I didn't know Prvi made the Winchester stuff, interesting. I guess I can expect a bit more recoil with the heavier Prvi bullet?

Cheers!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The 203 gr was noticeable in the M44 but not the M91/30. The 180 in the M91 i could not tell any difference at all. The M91 is about 2 or 3 inches longer so maybe 3-5cm longer then the 91/30. I doubt if you will notice any difference. The difference you may notice is in the accuracy. I believe it is more accurate then surplus, at least the winchester was. I have a few boxes of prvi but i have not shot any yet. I think one maker is making all the brass 54R stuff (at least that is what i heard). There is sellier&bellot, prvi and winchester available here. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Grello

Post by Grello »

I doubt I'll shoot well enough to notice any improved accuracy with the Prvi! But I have heard the same said about it. I think we only have those same brands of commercial over here. I've not seen any other brands yet. The Sellier stuff was about the equivalent of $3.14US per round :big shock: last time I looked, so I won't be buying any of that. The Prvi is about half that price and the surplus we can find for the equivalent of $39US per 100. I wish it was as cheap over here as it is for you guys! :b sad: :b sad:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That is high for sure. I have to pay about $20 a box here, but if i go to a cabellas i can get it for $15. Surplus is high for you too i see. :beek:
cgillette

Post by cgillette »

I am not sure but I think that brass is reloadable. If so and you are not a reloader then sell the brass. Better yet send me a message and I will buy the brass from you. If not sure look into a empty brass one hole is good two not good. Have a good one cgillette :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Those 3 i listed are reloadable in the us. Not sure about the UK. Hey Grello you guys reload there i know but what primers do you guys use? I am assuming you use boxer primers though as you have the same brass as us. Just curious. :D
Oh and as far as getting my brass??? good luck, bring an army. :lol:
Grello

Post by Grello »

Yeah, the Prvi is certainly reloadable and I'll be hanging onto the brass for when I'm ready to start reloading myself. :wink: I will definitely get into that soon and I'm really looking forward to it. Planning to keep the fireformed Prvi cases separate for each rifle and then I'll only need to neck resize them, if I can get hold of the correct collett die, as Lee only do them to special order for the 7.62 x 54R over here. :geek:

Yup, desdem12, same Boxer primers here, single flash hole, about $62US equivalent per 1000. I have heard of a few folks reloading Berdan but I've never seen any Berdan primers available over here. I saw a You Tube vid of a guy using hydraulic pressure with water to decap Berdan primers but it looks like a lot of effort to me!

Call me a cheapskate but I always pick up my .22 brass and my milsurp brass (for the .308) and go sneaking about for any other stuff that's been dropped (there's always a load of .556 empties lying around at the ranges :o ) as I've got a local scrap dealer who will buy it. Currently getting about $16US equivalent per 10 kg of cartridge brass. What's the scrap price in the US of A? The dealer is getting quite a bit of .50cal bmg scrap as well from another range - not many of those to the kilo!

Cheers
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's got it's own classification as cartridge brass, because of the steel in the primers it's not clean brass, for awhile there it was going for over two dollars a pound, that is lower now. I get the brass from a couple of police ranges, mostly pistol and .5.56mm, I sell it on the internet at a little above whatever we are getting for scrap price.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Grello

Post by Grello »

About the same scrap price as here then...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, when prices were higher I shipped a 55 gallon drum full of my own brass, all berdan primed stuff, the boxer primed I keep, not that there is much of it from the surplus ammo .
Theodore Roosevelt
franklin

Post by franklin »

cgillette wrote:I am not sure but I think that brass is reloadable. If so and you are not a reloader then sell the brass. Better yet send me a message and I will buy the brass from you. If not sure look into a empty brass one hole is good two not good. Have a good one cgillette :D
Don't throw any Berdan primed brass away. Every once in a while there are reloadable Berdan primers available. I think Graf was the last to have some.