[SA] New England Westinghouse M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

[SA] New England Westinghouse M91

Post by Rongo »

Got this along with my 1894 [SA] Tula M91 as a package deal last month. The seller was good enough to hold onto it for me until I could mail him my FFL. He mailed the 1894 immediately since it was Antique.

FedEx Man dropped it of on Thursday but I've been too busy these past few days to do anything with it. Did some projects around the house this morning & spent a little time watching Football... But the Vikings were playing more like ViQueens. So off to the mancave to clean my new NEW instead.

Stock is a one-piece that looks to be Walnut, Deep blue on all the metal, Nice Finn trigger, Sling & hangers and in the white cleaning rod. Stamped #'s on the bolt & scrubbed Butt & floorplate. passed No/Go with my trusty Okie gauge, the bore cleaned up good after a good scrub & Boiling water down the tube & action. Can't wait to take this out to the range. I'm working early shift this upcoming week so I should get home well before dark. Plenty of time to get a few hours of range time in. 8-)

Here's some pics I took for my Gun book.

A little sliver missing when I got it... Dabbed a little Old English dark scratch remover to make it less noticeable. Added the extra escutcheon screw as it was missing upon arrival.

Interesting repair

The 1894 Tula [SA] that I got along with the NEW
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Re: [SA] New England Westinghouse M91

Post by SA1911a1 »

Congrats. That is outstaning!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Damn, I gots to get me one of those.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
martin08

Post by martin08 »

:shock:

Excellent! The stock is a pre-1908 Russian with a wooden crossbolt, and the slingslots cut by the Finns!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Take the buttplate off, there might be a date in the wood underneath it.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

oh so that's where the black powder money went. I think you scored two home runs.congrats
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I'll pull the buttplate off tonight.

Still have 3 more Mosins on the way... Another Finn m91, the Romanian M44 from Williams & another 43 Izhevsk M44 that I couldn't pass up. I'll be heading to the range tomorrow for some shooting. I may have to bring this one along.

Wife is already on me for the new guns arriving every week. :shock:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

martin08 wrote::shock:

Excellent! The stock is a pre-1908 Russian with a wooden crossbolt, and the slingslots cut by the Finns!
I thought that had to be a wooden dowel originally but never thought much beyond that. The history on pre WWI stocks are a bit sketchy but it does look like wooden dowels were used as crossbolts for a short period of time before they switched to steel. Looks like this has a rather rare stock on it. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice one Ron.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
martin08

Post by martin08 »

If you also inspect the rear sling swivel placement, it is at least a full inch forward of the usual placement of the Russian slot that would have been upgraded in 1908. In other words, the stock had no sling slots until the Finns installed them.

That's an old piece of wood, Ron! Very nice. :wink:
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Beautiful :toast: :toast:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
smacneighill

Post by smacneighill »

Nice find there Ron! 8-) 8-) 8-)

I have been looking high and low around where I live for a Westinghouse and a Remington . . no luck yet!
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah Ron that's very nice

Sent from my Garminfone using Tapatalk