The rifle I learned to shoot with

Rim Fire Firearms
Mike

The rifle I learned to shoot with

Post by Mike »

Growing up in the UK firearms regulations were very restrictive, however, my father did buy one of these and taught me to shoot with it, a BSA Martini International .22 Match Rifle. I was shooting Match at age 12 and those lessons have stayed with me since.

One day I'll get myself another one of these. :biggrin:

What did you learn to shoot with?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: The rifle I learned to shoot with

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice rifle, mine was a Marlin model 50, no pics at the moment. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

i learned on daisey red rider bb gun. then the us navy had me with a 1903 springfield. then a winchester riot shot gun doing brig chaser duty and an M1911A1 when escoring in mess hall.then i used an M1 when doing shark watch in ocean while on post 21 of cuban blockade. then they gave me my favorite M14 then downhill from there M16A1 w/ 203 Grenade launcher then they took that back and gave me a M16A2 w/203 GL. i wanted a mini gun mounted on a hummvee roof with a trailer to haul more ammo for the mini gun. but alas,now it seems i have 2 Mosin Nagants and a riot-- get out of my house shotgun. not too bad for a Quaker huh? my wife is catholic tho'...
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Kermit, that's a good resume. You have had your hands on some nice equipment.
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

I learned to shoot with a Marlin Mod 60, very first rifle I ever shot, fun gun...

From then on it was a .38 special, and then my very own Mosin Nagant...Haven't had much access to many firearms in my life.
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Rev 19:11"
BlakeM44

Post by BlakeM44 »

Kilroy wrote:I learned to shoot with a Marlin Mod 60, very first rifle I ever shot, fun gun...
This was also my first. Great, accurate gun. My dad had bought it for 5 dollars at a yard sale during the 1980s. It was rusty, unfireable, tarnished. But he refinished it into what is now a beautiful gun. I watched him hit a box of broken clay pigeons from 300 yards with terrible wind. The wind was so loud that I couldn't hear the .30-30 next to me.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
~Thomas Jefferson
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nothing quite as nice as your BSA an old Ruger 10/22 my second rifle was the rifle really learned to shoot with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I had the normal BB guns and had shot a .22 or two but the rifle I first got real education was the Winchester 30-30 I got for Christmas in '58. Still have it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I hope to learn to shoot some day.

I am another one who learned with a bb gun. Mine was one of the old pumps. (single pump). My buddies and I shot the BBs so much we got where we could hit pigeons in flight, if they were withn range. I graduated to a single shot Winchester .22, that I still have.

The first pistol shooting I did to amount to anything, was in the Navy with a .45. (It grew on me) Since the Navy firearm instructor didn't have to "unteach" shooting errors, he made me a fair shot in one day with the old worn out WWII pistol. It may have helped my score that the dork shooting next to me was shooting my target. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Daisy Red Ryder BB gun was the first. Later my dad bought a used Winchesher lever action 25-20, but was a little too expensive to shoot. He enrolled me in NRA classes taught at the National Guard Armory in Sweetwater, Texas and started me out there with a J.C. Higgins semi-auto .22, but they didn't like the idea if someone usining a semi-auto with the other guys using single shot and bolt action 22's, so he traded that for a Remington Sportsmaster bolt-action 22 which I still have to this day. Later bought a Mossberg 16 gauge bolt-action shotgun. Boy, a lot of fond memories of shooting with my dad. Wish they still had NRA classes readily available to teach the young kids of today how to shoot and shooting safety. I know there are hunting classes available, but not the same thing. That was back in the day when guns were working tools for us country boys and everybody had one and didn't give it a second thought.
cgillette

Post by cgillette »

Started with the bb gun red rider. First rifle was a old mossburg22 . First center fire was a Winchester 43 in 218 Bee. Shot a ton of ground hogs with that. Have a Mosen and shoot that as much as I can. Just looking at the old girl and thinking about those that may have used her in the defence of the homeland. What can I say just enjoy the rifle.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I started with a Daisy 881, still have it but needs some parts. Then it was onto my dads .22, it looked like a Marlin 60 but was a different brand. Wanting to acquire it soon. And then the Stevens Mo 58 20ga. I still have that one too. Then it went to the M16a2 then I was a 60 gunner for 6 years. Made my day when the company made me the instructor for the 60 qualification. I used to know that gun inside and out, heavy but I loved the durability and punch it had.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Celt

Post by Celt »

Nice 22! Beautiful stock. My first rifle was a springfield 1903. Then it was a pump 12 gauge,a savage in 243. I have since worked my way up to a 22lr.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That would be a sporter built on a US M1903 action.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Yup. I didn't know any better. Its my first. That was the one that started this milsup obsession. :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Should make a pretty good deer slayer. :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

That is the one that had to be rebarreled. So it should be good to pass down to my son. Not worth much but a great rifle just the same.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

That's a beautiful .22 I also started on Daisy ,then went to Benjamin Pump .22 the Sears .22 at about 10 yrs. old Thanks for the great photos of your guns. JGC
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)