Spring cleaning

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Spring cleaning

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Spring cleaning is under way and it's time to clean up in the workshed, I had several rifles still in the boxes they came in all cosmolined up waiting for me to get to them. I love bargains and a $60 Mosin is a bargain, so when then forum sponsor Trinity offered then so cheap I jumped on it buying a small pile of them, "just because" These were rifles that Chris couldn't seem to sell on his website at full price, in the case of this 1933 Tula it was the electropenciled numbers. Why some collectors care about stamped or EP'd numbers escapes me, US rifles have one serial number so I am used to ignoring the others. It's a good, solid refurb, old style stock, decent shellac, nice red color, and it passes headspace. No special markings like DDR, or MO, but a nice, clean bore, only mild wear on the crown, a little blood pitting, that's about all that makes this one stand out from a thousand just like it. One problem it does have, more of a minor irritation is a slightly bent front sight hood, however the availability of a new type of elevation adjustable front sight has been brought to my attention, and I think this rifle would be a good one to test it on. I noticed the bent hood when I pulled it out of the box earlier this evening, I had been wondering what rifle to try that sight on, I hate messing with the front sights on these, but since this one needs to come off anyway......I remember telling Chris that if he had a hex receiver in the lot I would take that rifle no questions asked, he had one. The others were a 1940 Izhevsk, 1944 Tula, 1942 Tula, and I forget the other two just now. Here is a pic of the '33 all set to go, it's bayonet is one of the rare special models that will fit any 91/30 without trouble, slips right on, the rifle it was fitted for must have a huge barrel diameter. I think it was a good deal for $60 plus a few for shipping.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: Spring cleaning

Post by desdem12 »

Nice 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That cut out for the rear bandspring looks different from any of mine. At least it looks that way in the pic.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

millman wrote:That cut out for the rear bandspring looks different from any of mine. At least it looks that way in the pic.

Your right M. i just looked at my 91/30's and the cut out on all mine are more elongated, this one looks just round.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

millman wrote:That cut out for the rear bandspring looks different from any of mine. At least it looks that way in the pic.
That one has the improvised cut out. It would've originally been solid behind the band, the cut out was added later, instead of when the stock was made.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, this one has an older stock on it, the cutouts are just carved into the wood behind the band.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt