Grabbed a new 1922 Hex

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
nmcqueen469

Grabbed a new 1922 Hex

Post by nmcqueen469 »

Hey guys, first-time Mosin owner here!

Picked up a 1922 Hex Izhevsk. Numbers matching, not force matched, brass furniture. It has a handful of pretty interesting markings on it also. Bought it from a local guy with a bad Mosin addiction. :twisted:

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but can't wait!

One question I do have is about the current scope on it. It has nowhere enough eye relief on it, I am essentially kissing the bolt right now to properly see through the scope. Anyone have any recommendations for an affordable long eye relief scope? Sorry if this is a new-guyish question, I'm new to the wonderful world of Mosins.
desdem12

Re: Grabbed a new 1922 Hex

Post by desdem12 »

I think there are some guys who can answer that. It is nice that it is a 22 ex dragoon Rifle, but it appears that they have done premanent damage to the rear sight. The 22s are fairly rare. I think you can get a Nstar? (maybe?) i think that works good but i am unsure of the eye relief number on them. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I'm hoping you didn't pay much for the gun. Unless I am seeing something that others aren't, it looks like that sight base has been milled to take that scope mount alone. If that is the case, there is little hope to restoring that rifle's rear sight base to M91/30 standard configuration. It may be good as a shooter, but only with a long eye relief scope, which you don't have. It has no value to a collector. I hate to say it, but I would never buy a gun like that.
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

I think the rear 91/30 sight base can be reinstalled and pinned into place. Former dragoon, so the 91/30 rear sight base is proper for it. Can't help with scope issues, though.

Welcome to the forum.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Looks like they just took off the rear sight to use the dove tail. Sucks they removed it :(. I would get a rear sight and put it back on. As for an affordable ler scope, I have a ncstar 2x7 pistolero scope I think I payed less than $50 for. Quality isn't perfect but it isn't bad and the eye relief is just about perfect for the mosin.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
nmcqueen469

Grabbed a new 1922 Hex

Post by nmcqueen469 »

Thanks for the input guys, scope hunting is starting to make my head spin!

As far as the rear mount, the previous owner assured me that it's in perfect working condition if I want to slide the rear sight back on. I do have it, along with the mounting pins, although I haven't attempted to re-mount it since I bought the gun.
sjsevier

Post by sjsevier »

Man I love those hexs
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

WEll in that case what a great piece. Show us some shank markings on it. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Awesome thats great news. Sounds like the previous owner used his head haha.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
BostonMike

Grabbed a new 1922 Hex

Post by BostonMike »

There is a 3/8 dovetail under the rear sight base. He can slide the base back on and pin it and good as new.

I had an NCstar 2-7x pistolero on one of my mosins. Worked well for $50.

I used the brass stacker mount with min, which is pricey at $50 or so. It does have a long rail though, so with a bent bolt you could slide the scope back a ways.

I since took it off. Mine was on a '26 ex dragoon and I felt it was too nice to not have in original form. So now the scope and mount sit on my shelf for future use.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us here. You should have fun with this one. I'd go with the NC Star if you want to keep the cost down. Otherwise any more expensive pistol scopes may run 200 bucks or better. Check on Ebay or Optics Planet.
nmcqueen469

Post by nmcqueen469 »

I'll snap some more pics soon for you guys.

Boston Mike, thanks for the info on the scope and mount.

A couple questions: I've heard a little about bent bolts. Are they readily available? Any reliability issues with them? Can you just bend your own?

Also, what makes this an ex-Dragoon? Heard that term used a lot, what's the significance?
BostonMike

Grabbed a new 1922 Hex

Post by BostonMike »

If your bolt handle is numbered to make the rifle, don't modify it. Remove it from the bolt and get another handle to modify.

You can buy another bolt handle on eBay or other vendor like Liberty Collector. Then you can modify that handle. A few vendors on eBay offer services to modifying the handle into a bent bolt.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

An ex-Dragoon is basically a M91 Dragoon rifle that was later modified to M91/30 configuration. You can read about it here under the discussion about the M91 Dragoon:

information/russia/index.html

I wouldn't modify the bolt by bending. You may want to glance at the Preservation Forum Rules.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Dragoons were the shorter version of the original M1891 long rifle. They are the same length as the later 91/30s so when these went through refurbishment they upgraded the old dragoons to 91/30 specs. They added new rear sight and new front sight. These older dragoons were then given the name ex dragoon or upgraded dragoon. The 20s era dragoons have great barrel shank markings, to me anyway. Real Dragoons are few now though because of the upgrade program.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I know you are new here, and new to Mosins. I think Bostonmike is new here too. So, having realized that, it is very likely that you got caught up in the excitement of having a new Mosin, found the forum( that's a good thing) and jumped right in and probably didn't read the forum rules. LET ME ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO THAT NOW. Because this is a preservation forum you won't find any support for bending ANY bolt handles. Your bolt handle is not supposed to be bent, so why would you try to change it into something it never was. To a preservationist, changing and modifying historical military firearms is a horrible thing to see, let alone try to tell someone how to do it. That is the reason in fact that some posts here about your scope mounting was practically answered so fast that little thought went into it. It's understandable because as preservasionists changing or modifying historical milita....... Wait I already said that.
Check out the rules for the forum, consider the whys behind them, get yourself a few more Mosins, and if you feel yourself saying "but it's my damn gun and I can do what I want" read all you can about the history of the Mosin Nagant before you make any decisions.
All the best, Russell
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fifty bucks? Not a bad deal, ditch the scope, put the rear sight back on, and forget about messing with the bolt handle. You have a fine weapon that is capable of a surprising level of accuracy with iron sights alone so long as there is a decent enough bore and crown. 1922, the year Lenin and his Bolsheviks got things nailed down in Russia creating the state we would come to know as the USSR. A dark, and terrible year that would lead to decades of human misery in that state, quite a piece of history, take good care of it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Fifty bucks? Not a bad deal, ditch the scope, put the rear sight back on, and forget about messing with the bolt handle. You have a fine weapon that is capable of a surprising level of accuracy with iron sights alone so long as there is a decent enough bore and crown. 1922, the year Lenin and his Bolsheviks got things nailed down in Russia creating the state we would come to know as the USSR. A dark, and terrible year that would lead to decades of human misery in that state, quite a piece of history, take good care of it.
I heartily concur with this. 1922 ex dragoons are not exactly jumping out of every retail store or distributer. Put this one back to refurb condition with a rear sight. If you absolutely have to scout scope one, get a more common year at least and use a non gunsmith system. That way when you reach our level of mosinitus, you can easily return it to original configuration! :thumbsup:

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

And you can avoid what some have done, only to regret it later. Imformation is power.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looks like you can put it back to the way it was. Call the guy you got it from & see if he still has all the rear sight parts. If he does... Get them. The scope is already on there, the bolt should clear the scope as it is & maybe shoot it for a while to see if you like it that way. What's done is done at this point. When you get bored with the scope setup (and I'll bet you will) put it back to as it was.

Enjoy the forum & welcome aboard. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"