Canada V USA

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
AlanB

Canada V USA

Post by AlanB »

Could anyone explain why prices for SKS's are so cheap in Canada compared to the USA? In particular Marstar.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Canada V USA

Post by Jumperwire »

Probably the same reason you can buy an SVT40 for around $300 up there and they are $800-$1200 down here. :brolleyes: :brolleyes:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Maybe the same reason prescription meds are so much cheaper I'm canada? I haven't figured either out yet haha :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Higher importation fees here maybe, taxes?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

There is a semi auto or maybe a russian or both ban here in the US. Canada does not have that ban. Canada likes people. :thumbsup: The clintons do not. :cry: They do not have a african prime minister, :thumbsup: We do :cry: Canada is a nato all by themselves. :thumbsup: Somepeople here think we should be ruled by nato :cry:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

desdem12 wrote:There is a semi auto or maybe a russian or both ban here in the US. Canada does not have that ban. Canada likes people. :thumbsup: The clintons do not. :cry: They do not have a african prime minister, :thumbsup: We do :cry: Canada is a nato all by themselves. :thumbsup: Somepeople here think we should be ruled by nato :cry:

Correct for sure we have allowed our leaders to do this to us and have not complained . Some of us continue to put these reps back in business time after time I guess we deserve what we get
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Politics guy's, remember the rule. I do seem to recall a ban on some types of firearms from Russia, and des, Slick Willie ain't president anymore, Lord willing neither will that other one be for long.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Time to annex Canada!! :chuckles:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I was being careful to skirt the political line...? :thumbsup: I could say something about slick willies skirt being president, or at least thinking she is, but i did not say that. :bwink:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

has anyone tried to do a form for importing a curio and relic from Canada I read they just made that possible. I would think the SKS would fit that bill as well as the Other Russian semi autos But I am not sure on that.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

howiebearse wrote:has anyone tried to do a form for importing a curio and relic from Canada I read they just made that possible. I would think the SKS would fit that bill as well as the Other Russian semi autos But I am not sure on that.

Who is "they". Do you have a link to the information? I, among many others, would be in hog-heaven if I could buy across the border with a C&R. Somehow, I don't see it happening.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

As far as i know it is legal already..kind of. The kicker is when you try to get it shipped it costs big for that. They won't send it over for less then 2 arms and a leg. It isn't cost effective to have the sipping done. Not sure about carry over. You have to have a PAL license (personal arms license) to get one there. Not sure if an american can get one? :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

websterz wrote:Time to annex Canada!! :chuckles:
We tried that a couple of times, didn't work out well except for when we helped the British take it from the French :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
sjsevier

Post by sjsevier »

Well thats it Im movin to Canada.
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

I just couldn't handle the cultural differences...you know like how they....um...uh...OK so it's basically Northern Buffalo.
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Importing some firearms from other countries is legal, but expensive. It's cheaper just to find an SVT here in the States than it is to find one in Canada and import it.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You are assuming that all of us know the good part of southern buffalo GP...? :beek:
Groundpounder wrote:OK so it's basically Northern Buffalo.
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

I'm from Pittsburgh originally, the only place we can make fun of is Buffalo.
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
fenceline

Post by fenceline »

desdem12 wrote:As far as i know it is legal already..kind of. The kicker is when you try to get it shipped it costs big for that. They won't send it over for less then 2 arms and a leg. It isn't cost effective to have the sipping done. Not sure about carry over. You have to have a PAL license (personal arms license) to get one there. Not sure if an american can get one? :D
A "PAL" is actually a "Possession and Acquisition Licence". Test is about $60 for a PAL that will get you a non-restricted, which is the classification that the SKS falls into (semi auto with a barrel exceeding 18.5 inches). Test can be challenged, but can take several months for the licence to be sent to you after you submit it.

This link explains more on how to obtain a PAL as a non-Canadian citizen. http://www.huntingreport.com/temp_Gun_I ... Canada.cfm

Keep in mind that magazine restrictions exist in Canada and the SKS magazines will be modified to hold only 5 rounds. This gerenally means a rivet will be installed into the bottom of the mag to limit the range of motion of the follower. Some are pinned internally with minimal alterations to the mag, some have ugly pin jobs (ie Most Russian versions).

The long gun registry in Canada is no null and void. That means one can purchase a non-restricted firearms by showing a valid PAL and handing over the cash. No wait times, no further checks. Walk in, walk out.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

websterz wrote:Time to annex Canada!! :chuckles:
What do you mean Annex Canada, I thought they were just another Yankee state? I guess I ought to get out more.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum