First Rifle Purchase and am Hooked

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Kilroy

First Rifle Purchase and am Hooked

Post by Kilroy »

When I was a kid, I never got along with my dad much, but I still remember when we would go shooting, it was some of the highlights of my child hood, one of the few times me and my dad could get together without getting in a fight or bickering, a time where we could actually have fun together.

I am 20 now and have wanted to buy a rifle for a long time, because it has always been a passion of mine, I didn't have much money so I wanted to stay with something affordable.

Then I saw a video from one of my favorite Youtuber's nutnfancy, the video was called "Mosin Nagant, the $100 .30-06"
After seeing that video, I started doing the research, watched videos on what to look for when purchasing, and what to expect, and spent a LOT of time on 7.62x54r.net looking at different models and markings.

After a long wait, my local Big 5 finally had its sale, and I went and purchased my first Mosin Nagant 91/30

I chose the Mosin because it is affordable, reliable, and a bolt action, I have always had a passion for a bolt action, not sure why, but it probably has something to do with the fact that it is more involved.

Anyways, my first ever rifle purchase...

It's a 1939 Tula, The bolt is very smooth on it, and it has all the parts with matching numbers.
It has been Counterbored, but that didn't bother me much as the bore itself looked pretty spotless and flawless...

I can officially say I am hooked on Mosins and I will definitely be adding more to my collection in the future.

Thanks for letting me join this site, it is very cool and everyone here has already been extremely helpful on my first day.

Have some photos =P

I also had some questions too, does anyone know what all the extra tiny markings mean?
Like the the fancy "No" and the box with a triangle and the weird circular one above it?

"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Rev 19:11"
desdem12

Re: First Rifle Purchase and am Hooked

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice russian red head there. In a correct pre war stock too. Sweet. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

Congrats on a nice looking rifle! These things will tend to multiply, which is a good thing. The squares are generally refurbishment marks and the symbol inside is the specific arsenal, I'm sure some of the old hands will be able to identify the actual arsenal. The circle is a firing proof.
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Welcome to the forum Kilroy, you definitely made a cool purchase. That is a very fine rifle and I see you got all the accessories too. Nice.
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Thanks for all the comments guys, yeah the stock is what made me fall love with it, one of the most beautiful reds I have ever seen and when I found it was solid and not laminate, I was ecstatic.
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

:D :D :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Early stock, very nice 91/30 . The first of many I hope :) :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
secrethowitzercorps

Post by secrethowitzercorps »

Very nice Mosin Nagant you have there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

My first didn;t look as nice as this one! You did very well young Mosin-walker!!!!!!. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :chuckles:

Love it. A '39 Tula on the correct stock! A#1. Nice beginning indeed.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Welcome to the forum. You have a great looking rifle. I'm sure it won't be the only one you purchase. :thumbsup:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Welcome and nice rifle. :thumbsup: Mosin collecting is very addicting, soon you will find yourself searching Gun Broker looking for different Mosin's.
Formerly kyle514

History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Nice looking rifle! I also enjoy watching nutnfancy on youtube. Just don't do stuff to your rifle like he had done to his ;). Welcome to the sickness :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

buy your dad a mosin nagant and take him out shooting. you got an owners manual with your rifle,he did not get one with you at birth.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

ponycarman wrote:Nice looking rifle! I also enjoy watching nutnfancy on youtube. Just don't do stuff to your rifle like he had done to his ;). Welcome to the sickness :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

There is not a thing about my Mosin that I would change. I love it the way it is.
ttnc

Post by ttnc »

kermit wrote:buy your dad a mosin nagant and take him out shooting. you got an owners manual with your rifle,he did not get one with you at birth.
Kermit is right! Get your dad one and get close to him cause even if it was rough when you were younger you will definately miss him when he is gone.
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

my father and i never got along. he was a BAR rifleman in 75th inf division in world war 2. ever hear of battle of the bulge?. anyways once i had joined the army and was with 40 th ID i got some insight into things i never gave any thought to. may oldest daughter was 49 june 5th. she and i fought all the time-too much alike i guess. being low income,i will donate $10 towards his mosin nagant M91-30.. when my father died no one told me was even sick. you need to form at least a small bond while he is around.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Since I already plan on adding more to my collection, I see no problem with getting him one too.

For fathers day I am taking his Marlin .22 (He inherited from his grandfather) to a local Gunsmith to have it looked at..
The cocking lever on it gets stuck half way when you release it, I have tried oiling it and cannot find the problem.

TopperT

Post by TopperT »

From long and sad expearience I can tell you Dad's screw up from time to time.......kids of course are perfect! Ok, humopr aside, get close. Its hell when they go.....I know this. I tried like hell to not make the same mistakes with my son my dad made with me. I succeeded........thing is I made other ones.....

This is a gun forum but we all have a sense offamily here and a sense of history.....welcome.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

:welcome2:

Nice looking rifle.
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

I lost my Dad this winter. He was a hard man when I was young and it was never a question of being close, he spoke and we obeyed. My sister sent me this picture after he died and I realized I had never seen him look at me with pride, but that doesn't mean that he didn't. It's just that he only did it when I wasn't looking. Give your Dad this gun for Father's Day and save up for another one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck