Between these two...

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
pacanis

Between these two...

Post by pacanis »

I was just looking at two Yugo SKS's. One has the grenade launcher, one doesn't. The one without has what appears to be matching numbers on the receiver, slide and stock and in addition, numbers on the right side of the slide and the back of the receiver. Something like 0.0.003, something like that. The mag also has those numbers. Assembly numbers? The one with the launcher does not have those numbers, but is also matching. The stocks on both appear natural and no [/] marks anywhere. Both barrels are in great condition. Asking price is 300 for the one with the launcher and 400 on the other one, which is kinda the one I'm leaning towards, but may not be a better buy on account of it being a Yugo. Actually, I have no idea how you even tell it's a Yugo, it isn't stamped anywhere with an arsenal or Zastava name that I can see.
Additional info I just thought of; The one with the launcher has a silvery looking bayo and the other one more of a steel, worn pewter look. And the one without the launcher also has some numbers or symbols, like a bunch of squares (?) on the side of the handguard. And a 1 TR by the buttcap. The front of the gas tube also appears pretty straight looking, not beveled as much as on my AK.

What say thee? Any SKS folks here who can help me with an impulse buy? Or say if I'm going to spend 400 get a Russian? Or say to snap the one up for 300?
And no I can't get both, I just bought another Garand :bwink:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
desdem12

Re: Between these two...

Post by desdem12 »

The TRZ1 mark is a refurb mark by one of those countries down there. I used to know which one but have old head today. The M59 is a better buy then the M59/66A1 (likely). Numbers should all match on these. I haven't looked lately at yugos but they do NOT have chromed barrels. If it truly is a M59 that is the good buy. M59/66 and 661As are running around $350+. Not sure of the M59s but $50 more sounds good to me. Try the bundle price for both as you need both examples to test. $500 bundle price sounds good to me. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Found it. It is
The 1.TRZ stands for Tehnicki Remontni Zavod. That would be Technical overhauling institute #1. It was(is?) located in Cacak Serbia :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Figures the $400 one is the better buy. That's the one on consignment :roll:
Thanks for the info, Des.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

desdem12 wrote:Found it. It is
The 1.TRZ stands for Tehnicki Remontni Zavod. That would be Technical overhauling institute #1. It was(is?) located in Cacak Serbia :D
So that would still make this one the better buy?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That i am not sure but i personaly like the M59. It means it has ties to those wars there is how i would take it. So yea i think it would still make it better. That you would have to ask someone with more SKS experience but to me.. :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Are they refurbs? I love shooting the grenade launcher model, but the 59 without likely is more collectible. Can't wait to see what the real knowledgeable guys say and also WHAT? A NEW GARAND? OH BABY
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Some how i just knew that Garand was gonna show up. :roll: So it was better or just a good deal? See that guy does know what he was a doing by emailing you... :lol: :lol:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

bunkysdad wrote:Are they refurbs?
According to Des the 59 is. The other one, 59/66, I did not see any TRZ stampings or any other stampings.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

And I was thinking 400 is too high for a Yugo. Seems like Russian SKS's were around 350-400 when I was looking a few months ago. Non-matching ones anyway.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The number i was going by was local but you may find one cheaper but you would have shipping and that would make it close. The cheapest i have seen was SOG at $275 but they were cracked stocks i think and they are out anyway. :D
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I got the M59. The LGS called the owner and he came down on it.
I found some SKS people chatting about 59 v 59/66 on another forum and they kind of summed it up by saying the 59 was more collectible, also, just like Bunky said :thumbsup: Plus I could not find an import mark on it. The 59/66 was import stamped.
Thanks for the feedback, Des, Bunky.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That was a good call Pac. I would a got the 59 at least with a ratio of 10-1. You can always get a 59/66 but not always a 59. The TRZ mark just means it visited that repair facility in Serbia. It could a been repaired or refurbed but it also adds to the history of the gun by clinching it has been in those wars there. So it has added history plus it is a greater gun to begin with. A no brainer. Is this the first SKS for you? I know you have a AK already. And just where are the pics already............... and the range report?????????????? What ...are you slipping in your old age? To many bumps on the head? :bwink:
Celt

Post by Celt »

:pointup: :pop: :pop: :pop:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

You know, I probably should put a mag through it tonight before I have another beer :shifty:
But I'm just so damn comfortable right now... and the neighborhood is all peaceful like... :D
You may have to settle for camera shots later.

I walked back in to the LGS. I had told him I'd be back, but he sent me another email which definitely got me back...
Anyway, I walked in, grabbed both off the rack, sat down and waited for one to speak to me. The 59 won hands down. Even moseso when he got the price down on it for me from the owner.

It's been a good day. Now if you'll excuse me I have to read the instructions on the back of my Ramen noodles :biggrin:
Celt

Post by Celt »

Congrats on the find! Way to get some feedback first. I love to see someone make an educated buy.
p.s. ramen noodles rate fine dry. Take pictures. :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

celt1314 wrote:Congrats on the find! Way to get some feedback first. I love to see someone make an educated buy.
p.s. ramen noodles rate fine dry. Take pictures. :D
Yeah, I knew I was going to get one or the other, I just needed a virtual arm twisting to help me decide :lol:
Actually I better go fire up the grill. Jerk wings tonight! :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It was bound to be a good day given those choices! It was just a matter of deciding, then kicking back and enjoying your celebratory cold beer. Ahhhh a new SKS. Man what a fine day! :vcool:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I appreciate you and Des being online, Bunky :thumbsup:
Tomorrow I'll shoot her!
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

And I'm worried about disturbing the hood :brolleyes:
My one neighbor is still out plinking right now and it's darn near dark. Gotta love the country. I just wish he'd build a backstop.
I oughta run ten rounds through the SKS into the creek bank to show him what's up :lol: