C&R License

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Oramaac4572

C&R License

Post by Oramaac4572 »

OK, I am looking into getting a C&R license to assist in increasing my Mosin inventory as well as other war time relics... is this a good idea? Thoughts??
Я люблю запах cosmoline утром
Мой Мосина-Нагана арсенал
1932 Tula Hex 91/30
1933 Izhevsk Hex 91/30
BuckeyeSgt

Re: C&R License

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Everyone on here that has one swears by them. I've held off, and I know I should but the whole Govt deal......
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
dou44

Post by dou44 »

got my first one back in the 90's and never had a problem.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

waiting to receive mine.. :no evil:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Oramaac4572

Post by Oramaac4572 »

Thanks all... :thumbsup:
Я люблю запах cosmoline утром
Мой Мосина-Нагана арсенал
1932 Tula Hex 91/30
1933 Izhevsk Hex 91/30
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

If you're a serious collector, it is probably the only way to go short of a FFL. Having said that, I don't have one and don't plan on getting one. I guess it is because I work for the U.S. government every day, I really don't feel like dealing with them in my personal life more than I have to. Guess that makes me a "casual collector"; I buy my stuff through a FFL dealer.
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

C&R licenses are extremely dangerous to your savings account ;)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They can burn hole in your wallet faster then gasoline. They are big savers though at the same time. If you buy from dealers on the net or GB you save the 20-75 bucks everytime you buy and ship. The problem in the not so grand state of washington is that if you have it shipped to your gunstore FFL then you get tagged for shipping, tax on the overall price and to top it off the transfer fee. So it is a no brainer here. It helps in the gunstore too as there is less paper work. Some places give dealer discounts to 03 holders. You will pay for it with one deal if you so choose. :2cents: :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BostonMike

C&R License

Post by BostonMike »

You do get discounts from websites as well. I've prob saved hundreds building ARs with it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I have a question about c&r's. I live in a apartment. Its a basement apartment. But not technically setup as a rental property I guess. We know the older man upstairs and he is letting us rent for a killer price. We have our mail address at a different address because we didn't want to clutter up the guys mail box. Would this be a problem if I tried to get my c&r? Or would it be best to wait till we get our own house? I don't want this to be invasive or change how the older gentleman goes on with his life. Do y'all know kinda what I mean? Just curious if it would be possibly for me to get a c&r in or present living arrangements.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It has to be a physical address and not a PO box. I believe it has to be where you live or do business, but not sure. I lived in an apartment building and i got one no problem. They will send you catologues and stuff but after the first onslaught it is by request i believe. The boxes o guns have to go to where you live or can pick them up. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Ok because my making adress is my parents house. Im there almost every day because I work with my father. I didn't know if it would pose a problem to get it being my residence is different from my mailing adress. And I didn't want stuff about this to start showing up in the man we rent froms mail. Or for this to affect him.

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
hk91666

Post by hk91666 »

ponycarman wrote:Ok because my making adress is my parents house. Im there almost every day because I work with my father. I didn't know if it would pose a problem to get it being my residence is different from my mailing adress. And I didn't want stuff about this to start showing up in the man we rent froms mail. Or for this to affect him.

The premise address needs to be your residence, your mailing address can be somewheres else. I have used a usps post box and Currently a commercial po box for my mailing address.
Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
"Si Vis Pacem Parabellum"

NRA Life Member since '78

VZ.24 E4-lion 1937 & G.24(t) DOU 41;
CZ-52 & 82 Chinese Type 53 1953.12
91/30 TULA 1939; SKS-45 TULA 1953,
Savage 1899 circa 1957 "300 Savage"
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

And with it set up that way I can have the firearms shipped to the mailing adress correct? Sounds like I might actually be able to go ahead and get it yay!

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think it would be ok it being your parents house. I stil don't know about the other. I know the distributors all say they will only mail it to the address on the license. I would look it up on the Batfe sight and see. hk sounds like he knows more about it then me. I moved not to long ago and i changed my license to the new address and it was the same number but had the new address so i could get stuff mailed here. That only took like a week to change.
BostonMike

C&R License

Post by BostonMike »

Might be an issue of you get audited. You'd have to do the audit at the address on the license I believe

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thats what I was thinking as well. How often do audits happen?

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

There are those here in California that have two C&R license with the blessing of the BATF. They do this because we are not allowed to have a C&R handgun sent to us here in Calif. Only long guns. If you have a C&R license and go out of state and buy a C&R handgun, you may carry it back into the state and fill out a form and that is legal. I know, stupid, but that is the rules. So they went to the BATF and the BATF said they would issue them another license to them out of state if they had a address where they could receive firearms. Some of them have relatives in Nevada or Arizona and the BATF issued them a second license. They have the C&R hand gun sent there and when they go visit, they bring it back with them. All legal.

So you don't have to be "living" at the address you use to ship to.

Stupid laws isn't it.

Dolk
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Very stupid. I would like to get it but the fellow we rent from already has his quirks. We try to refrain from stuff that he may not like lol. I know its not an ideal setup but its what wer have been able to afford just starting out. W have been looking into houses. I'm hoping to find something with some property or to buy some property and move on a manufactured type home. But I'm not sure yet when we are going to make a purchase. We would love to as soon as possible but you know how that goes haha. Kinda just go with the flow until you find something that works out.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

OK you heard all the good about C8R's now a little about the bad. Want volume and "collect" Refurbs excellent idea your drop ship everything where ever you claim as a residence. You can have more debt and volume then you will ever be able to support. You can have your privacy invaded by audit as many times as they see fit. You have book work they can complain about not being done right. If you divorce all your ex has to do is demand a copy of you hard bound book and she has it all down in writing to claim as your property. Signed sealed and delivered for the court. The judge will ask about why you have so many guns, he may give your wife a protection writ even if she hasn't asked for it and that makes kid visits really tough. The reason I mention this is it happened to a buddy of mine and he almost lost his state job as a result too.

I had a C & R at one time many years ago and it was of no help to me and half the dealers I dealt with didn't recognize them (whether they were supposed to or not, it is there choice) and most dealers resent you having one because you aren't really in business but you get most of their advantages for nothing compared to them. I get myself a sweet heart relationship with a dealer and I haven't paid anything for transfers in years. Plus most dealers in WV don't charge but the local excepted amount of $9 for a transfer anyway. Big deal discount, If I can't get one under the price they are asking I don't buy the gun. I was quoted a price for a rifle last week of $375 and I told him I would go $125 out the door or he was keeping the rifle, he countered with $200 and I said not a penny over $150 and out the door I went with the rifle. So you get 10 % off giving him a copy of your license that's about $37.50 off without haggling big deal!

How many rifles do you legally have without paperwork being done anywhere on them and your name appearing in it? I would say about 90% of mine are just that and face to face deals where I can look over the rifle in person and make a decent assessment of what I am getting and how much I should spend. Mail order guns can be a big dissapointment at times and I don't need return fee's and all the crap that goes with it. Spend the time learning where you can get things of quality and spend the money and people begin to know you and respect you as a source of income for them. Do you kind of catch an anti-refurb drift to me also? Yupper a good place to start and learn a bit but nothing but anonymous historied shooters of different natures. You can argue with me till your blue in the face they are not collector rifles and never will be! Elitist collector= me? Bull-pucky I put my pants on the same way you do only over the many years I have been messing around Milsurp rifles I have seen what brings money and holds value. A Refurb is basically a parts rifle and they don't usually bring money 10 years from now. True when they dry up they will be more expensive to people who want to buy one but so is gas does that mean I need to get a bigger gas tank?

Wandering far and wide from a C&R license but I feel the Refurb market junkies are a main part of the C&R crowd so I am trying to point out who they are the most use to. The C&R is a very personal choice and I don't need the restrictions or hassle that can go along with it. Auditing is like a crap shoot for any level of license you might care to get and I don't need any more suspense in life. It is your choice feed your ego and say hey I can get that sent to my house or buy it and bring it home to your friendly FFL and keep him in business. I don't need the thought of calls from a local ATF agent to make my day! Bill :wink: