Pump shotgun comparo

Everything shotgun discussed here.
ponycarman

Pump shotgun comparo

Post by ponycarman »

Im sorta looking into pump shotguns. The only shotgun Ive owned was saiga 12. I liked it but it was a little too much and I figured a good pump will be more reliable. Ive been looking mostly at the offerings from remington and mossberg. I would like to hear some opinions on both, or if there is another shotgun that is affordable and has advantages feel free to suggest it. Just looking for pros and cons, and personal experiences with either. I would like to keep in an affordable price range. Im sure there are much better shotguns that cost alot more. Just figured I would here some opinions and such from yall. I dont know when Im going to actually purchase one though. Could be soon and it could be a little while. Also I probably will end up with multiply shotguns. I have a few different uses in mind. Home defense, hunting and target. I understand that it will depend on what the shotgun will be used for as to which will work best. That why I will probably end up with many haha. And thats fine. But for now let me know which of the two you prefer and why. And any experiences you have had good or bad with them. Any failures and anything else that would be important. I know I needed to start a thread for these questions instead of asking them on other peoples thread so here it is :mrgreen:

Thanks guys
ponycarman
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
pacanis

Re: Pump shotgun comparo

Post by pacanis »

What you need is one good shotgun and several barrels for it. :thumbsup:
I've always liked pumps, even for hunting, but they do have one downside. The recoil is a lot more noticeable than a semi, especially when throwing slugs downrange. And semis are so dependable now that shouldn't even be a consideration. More expensive, too though. I have a Benelli Nova pump. I like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Ponycar my son just got one from Wal-Mart for $179 + tax, its the Mossberg mod. 88 Maverick . Shotgun came with the 28 in. barrel. I think it will accept other barrels
including the ones from the Mossberg 500.
We both have shot it and it performs very well. :thumbsup:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Cool. I've looked at those here at my local walmart. I've thought about getting one of them for a beat around hunter and then get another shorter remington or mossy for the home defense one. I had thought about getting other barrels for one shotty but when the barrel costs close to another shotgun it makes for a tough decision.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Mike

Post by Mike »

I like my Browning BPS 12 gauge. The action is smooth, it's accurate and reliable. The cost a little more than some other shotguns but when you use them side-by-side you can tell why, the Brownings are just better built.

I got mine from a pawn shop, still in it's original box, for a very reasonable price.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

How much to the brownings run on average?

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Mike

Pump shotgun comparo

Post by Mike »

Cabellas sell them for $500-$600, I've seen them go for $350-450 on the private market. I paid $475 for mine, it was still in its original box, had never been fired and came with a full set of chokes.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

redspoon wrote:Ponycar my son just got one from Wal-Mart for $179 + tax, its the Mossberg mod. 88 Maverick . Shotgun came with the 28 in. barrel. I think it will accept other barrels
including the ones from the Mossberg 500.
We both have shot it and it performs very well. :thumbsup:
A good choice. I picked up a lot of old Mossberg 500's over the past few years for less than $100 each. Less than the cost of a replacement barrel I got a whole gun. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Cool I didn't realize you could get them at that price used. I don't mind paying a little more for a better product but I didn't really want to spend $700 on a pump. I was thinking $400-500 max. Preferably lower though.

Would be awesome to find some used mossberg and remingtons around that price. I need to start searching the local shops :D

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I looked at the mossberg and the remington again at the store tonight. Man this descision doesnt get any easier. I like the feel of the remington better. It feels more solid. I like the steel reciever. The action may be a little easier to work but it doesnt really matter if you work it hard like you should. I dont mind the controls on either shotgun. The mossberg might have a little edge but niether bothered me. Im not crazy about the aluminum reciever on the mossberg. Im sure it probably would be fine and I know that the bolt locks to the barrel and not the reciever. The part about the aluminum I do like is no rusting is possible. But in reality that shouldnt be a problem if you take care of you shotgun. The internals still have to be lubbed so not really an issue. I didnt like the forend wiggle of the mossberg. But I can live with it. I understand that its part of the design to stop binding of the action bars or something. The biggest pro I find for the mossberg is the loading process. Where the remington has the spring loaded shell lifter that you have to depress to load shells I love how the mossberg's lifter is out of the way. Just drop in the shell and push it in the mag. That also eliminates a form of jam that I have heard can happen with the remington's. The mossberg's are some cheaper new and used. Grrrrr this descision keeps getting harder haha. :x

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ithaca Model 37 featherweight is another one, a bit more expensive but time proven design. Winchester Model 12, but a used 50 year old one will still run $400 or more, forget about the Model '97 . Around here I am forever dragging home used pump shotguns, it seems I collect them now, many pump guns are bought for hunting, used once, and stuck in the closet. I find them at flea markets , and tag sales, many of the old Sears JC Higgins guns are made by High Standard ( another good shotgun) or Winchester, and many sellers fail to realize this.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

If I had the money I would probably be the same. I like shotguns. They are probably one of the most versatile firearms created. They are powerfull and can be used for anything from war to hunting small fragile animals with different loads. Only little disadvantages I see is the limited range and lower mag capacity. Shotguns can do it all. There are so many good designs I feel like just throwing their names in a hat haha

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The extended magazine models can handle 8 rounds, the Mossberg 590 is one.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Yeah I believe the 500 has a model with it. And the 870's have done extended mag models a well. I like shotguns with removable mag extensions because if I use it for hunting some areas don't like you to have more than 5rd. I think my area is of these areas and I'm not sure if loading 5rds or less would be acceptable.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I found an individual that was walking into a gunshow and carrying a Winchester Defender. I asked his intentions and he sold it to me for 100.00 cash. It is a 18.5 in 12 ga synthetic that holds 8 rounds. These typically go for 300-400 bucks used however and come in wood or synthetic. Winchester shut down for several years and when they reopened they became more expensive. My vote for you would be a nice Mossberg or for a little more a Binelli Super Nova is a great bargain.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ponycarman wrote:Yeah I believe the 500 has a model with it. And the 870's have done extended mag models a well. I like shotguns with removable mag extensions because if I use it for hunting some areas don't like you to have more than 5rd. I think my area is of these areas and I'm not sure if loading 5rds or less would be acceptable.

The 590, they make it for the Military , I have one of these, parkerized with a bayonet lug.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

That's a good deal, Bunky. Right place at the right time.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sometimes fate favors you, and sometimes it kicks you in the :big shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I've looked at a few 590's they are very nice. I'm going to be going to a gun show this weekend. I've never been top this show so who knows what I will find:D. I think I'm going to tote some cash along so if I find a deal I can't pass up. I've also been very interested in getting a saiga rifle in 7.62x39 so we will see how it goes haha

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Remington over Mossberg hands down. Now if you can find an old Winchester Model 12 at the right price you can discover the joys of slamfires.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.