Izhevsk Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jream

Izhevsk Mosin

Post by Jream »

Hi, new guy here - with a newly "adopted" Mosin. Gotta a question to throw out. My Mosin is an Izhevsk, from all markings, with matching numbers, no forced numbers, and a decent bore, running from .300 bore to .312 groove. (Still swabbing dark stuff out with Sweet's and JB) The curious thing is the front dog collar sling slot has the pressed in insert, but the buttstock slot has no insert - and it doesn't look like it ever did - just clean wood. Any hints on what this configuration is?
BuckeyeSgt

Re: Izhevsk Mosin

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Is it a full one or one like this?
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sounds to me like you have a nice wartime Izhevsk. They did not take the time or material to put those in during hurried production. Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

the stock on my 1942 Izhevsk has those partial escutchions in/on all 4. not talking post war. just like picture of war time in photo.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I just checked and I have a '38 Tula and a '42 Izhevsk that are exactly the same way. Both on referb'd stocks. Both have the half front and no rear.....in fact the '42 is one beautiful 91/30.....one of the better looking ones I have. Go figure?
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
BostonMike

Izhevsk Mosin

Post by BostonMike »

When they refurbed the rifles, they just grabbed parts from a bin basically. So you can end up with a wartime stock on a prewar rifle pretty easy.

When it comes to most typical $100 mosins fresh out of a crate, you can assume they are rebuilt from multiple rifles and or parts tgat were surplus stored inventory that have never seen battle at all. You don't really know

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

i do not know how to shrink my pictures to be able to post them is there an email address /person i can send them to? this stock is off my 1942 Izhevsk and it has the partial thingies like buckeysgt posted,but are in front like most,but also the partials are in slots in butt of stock.i took it off and used a perfect postwar stock . my 1938 Tula has the plates held on with 2 screws. this stock is made from 4 pieces of wood.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Kermit, open up a photo bucket account. It is free. Upload your photos, and then copy and paste the img code on here. Doesn't take long at all.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Celt

Post by Celt »

welcome aboard! :thumbsup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

One of the variations of wartime stock, nice rifle :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
popgun

Post by popgun »

these old guns can be hard to clean. had to ask the forum how they clean them. all is diff. have fun cleaning. nice looking mosin. popgun :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :pointup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cleaning them is almost as much fun as shooting them :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jream

Post by Jream »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:Is it a full one or one like this?
Thanks for the response. Yeh I've got the half insert on the front end and only the slotted wood on the buttstock. Clean job though. I've been picking up the books from North Cape Publications (good reference books) and so far hadn't seen or read anything about this style. Makes sense from a refurb point though. But when they did it they did a good job - touch up paint on the end of the muzzle, recrowned to the white, even touch up painted the sling buckles. Overall a good refurb and and no forced serial numbers. Thanks for the input - good info

Jerry
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have a couple of wartime guns that the rear, unlined sling slots are heavily worn and rounded. Kinda tells you it was well used.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum