M1871-88 Beaumont-Vitali

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

M1871-88 Beaumont-Vitali

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

M1871-88 Beaumont-Vitali (Geweer Klein Kaliber) rifle is the same M1871 Beaumont 11.35X52R (11mm Beaumont) rifle the Dutch adopted in 1871, however starting in 1888 they began converting the single shot 1871 using the Italian Vitali four round magazine to a magazine fed repeating rifle in an effort to keep up with the Mauser, and Lebel rifles. The new rifle was called the M1871-88, in 1876 the safety that was mounted on the right side rear of the receiver was eliminated, as this rifle was produced in 1878 it never had this in the first place. The Beaumont was issued with the metal polished and in the white, note the large bolt handle, this houses the mainspring, a flat V spring rather than the more common coil spring found on most bolt rifles. The bolt also acts as the actions single locking lug.
This rifle comes out of a very old collection were it has been for over 80 years, it's metal is developing an even patina, the wood is free of splits, and appears to have never been refinished. The serial numbers match on the parts, the receiver is unmarked as to maker and is dated 1878 as is the stock. The bore is as spotless now as the day it was new, lands and grooves show no perceptible wear. These rifles remained in service until 1900, but saw little action except in the Dutch colony's. It's a long rifle, as most black powder cartridge rifles tend to be, I left a 1858 Remington revolver in one pic to give an idea how long these rifles are. Reloading dies and bullet molds have been located, but they are going to cost over $200 {_K so it will be awhile before there is a range report.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: M1871-88 Beaumont-Vitali

Post by desdem12 »

Nice stock on that one. 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ovenpaa

Post by Ovenpaa »

Lovely looking rifle and very nice condition as well, have you got any closer to shooting it yet?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not yet, I have been busy with work, and I have to get the dies, brass, and bullet mold first. Black powder I have on hand, and it looks like this will be another winter progect, last year I got the French Lebels shooting again, this year I hope to get the 1874 Gras, and this rifle up and running.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not yet, I have been busy with work, and I have to get the dies, brass, and bullet mold first.
11.35mm?

You're going to need one more tool.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Ahh, The joy of playing with obsolete calibers. That one looks worth the effort though. 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I know Martin :lol: I have been playing with Black Powder era cartridge rifles for some time, the US 45/70, and 50/70 Springfield's, British Snider's and Martini's, they eat up large amounts of lead with each shot. I have a few more big bores on the list the Swiss Vetterli's, and the 1871/84 Mauser. I am almost done cleaning up the Mauser, it has a mint bore and will make an excellent shooter.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

There is just something about a pre 1900 bolt rifle.

That rear sight markings kill me. I love the idea they took so much time with the markings! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Making the ammo is half the fun!

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:)
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

:shock: that's a BIG rifle! Very nice. Class is in session.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is a 19th century black powder cartridge rifle, the last the French fielded before inventing smokeless powder and the Lebel rifle. The idea was to have a barrel long enough to allow the powder charge to burn up totally before the bullet exited the muzzle and therefore gain the highest velocity possible. Long barrel also meant longer reach with the sword like bayonet attached.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Neat rifle. What is the first one? Looks like a trapdoor got slipped in there. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, i am adding the pics back into these posts, that's the 1873 Springfield, it's in their by mistake.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great Beaumont-Vitali! I still need to find one of these for the collection. :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This one was a gunbroker find, I see them on there from time to time, no FFL needed and under $600 for a real nice one. This is the rifle that I was sent by accident by a dealer I had bought a 69/71 Vetterli from. His packer shipped the wrong rifle and just by dumb luck it wasn't something like an AR, or other FFL weapon. The rifle was on my list , and the moment I pulled it out of the box I knew it wasn't going back. I called the dealer, after he got done with all the apologizing ( I hadn't left feedback yet) he gave me a real good price and shipped the Vetterli for free.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I imagine that the very first words he uttered after putting down the phone were "YOUR FIRED" to the idiot who almost cost him his FFL
Theodore Roosevelt