In the process of ordering my new 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rivmage

In the process of ordering my new 91/30

Post by Rivmage »

Hi all,

Like the title says, I'm in the process of ordering my first Mosin Nagant, which will also be my first gun :D , just waiting for the dealer and my local FFL to play nicely together. I took my basic pistol class in February of last year, and I haven't shot a gun since and I have NEVER fired a rifle before. I hope I'll be able to handle her. Any advise to someone new to guns/shooting/rifles, etc?

Thank you,
Scott
SA1911a1

Re: In the process of ordering my new 91/30

Post by SA1911a1 »

Hello Scott,

You would be well served to go out with an experienced shooter the first time out. These are high-powered rifles and can cause some discomfort that can easily be avoided. Also, plow through some of the post here on cleaning and disassembly of the rifle. It will have to be "deep cleaned" before you take it to the range; it is not difficult, but it is necessary. Also after shooting you will need to clean it properly to prevent bore damage. Everyone here will suggest that you have the headspace checked, either by a gun smith or by ordering your own gauges.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your rifle.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Celt

Post by Celt »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a fine choice.there is plenty of how to videos on the Web and really good instructions on this sight.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Listen to the advice that has been given, find someone who can properly instruct you in the use of the rifle, either someone who has shot them before, or check your local gunshop, or the NRA website to see if they offer a training and safety course near you.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Welcome Scott,as long as you know what to expect and what to do you should be fine.I to would advise going with someone who has experence with a rifle,at the very least,talk to the range Master when you arrive to shoot,and let him know you have not shot before,and dont be afraid to ask him questions,and by all means,listen to his instructions while shooting.These rifles do have a kick,so the old shoulder will know you had some fun the next day,and read up on cleaning these rifles after shooting.Good luck,and enjoy.
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Also, the regular cleaning is no big deal with corrosive ammo, don't beleive any horror stories. Just take something to clean the barrel and bolt face after you shoot it. I find cleaning after shooting often takes out a lot of crud. I just use a .30 cal mop with windex, followed by some dry patches followed by Hopes.I have also just used a squirt bottle of water followed by patch/Hopes
We have met the enemy and he is us.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I will throw in my :2cents: . You will be getting a fine rifle with the 91/30. But I would recommend that you go get a cheap .22 to learn the fundamentals of shooting a rifle. Like other said, the recoil is strong but manageable. I think you might pick up some bad habits if this is your first one. You can get a good Marlin model 60 pretty cheap and ammo is dirt cheap. It is accurate, and will help you learn how to shoot way better in the long run. But by all means do not give up a good Mosin. Welcome to the Forum.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Celt

Post by Celt »

:pointup: that's good advice.I started with a springfield 30\06, 12 gauge, then moved down to a 243 Winchester, then I bought a 22lr! :D
completely bass ackwards. :brolleyes: just be safe and you will have a blast! Excuse the pun.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

Just to illustrate the point - I started with handguns (competed, etc) and went to rifles. I started with .22s but before receiving any formal training or even much in the way of advice shot a 1903 which is roughly the same period and the rounds are in the same ballpark, power-wise. And the sucker left off my shoulder, jumped up, and hit me in the face, banging against my glasses which thankfully were impact-resistant.

Since then, after receiving some training and so forth I've taken out first timers, started them on a .22, moved them up to a AR, and then I move them to a Garand. The Garand is softer shooting than the 1903 partially because it's heavier but again, same kind of power ballpark. And even the little 5 foot tall 95 pound gal had no problem with it at all. But I made darn sure it was planted properly before she pulled the trigger.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I started with the .22, instructed by men who had fought in the Great War, then moved on to Black powder muzzle loaders, then to commercial sporters and shotguns, then milsurps.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt