noob here with first 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
joekinsc

noob here with first 91/30

Post by joekinsc »

Hi!

Just got my first M91/30. I searched for but didn't find any initial safety checks that should be done. I've read about checking the head space. What other safety checks should be done prior to shooting the first time?

I've broken it down and cleaned it. The instructions on the main site of this domain were great, btw!
BuckeyeSgt

Re: noob here with first 91/30

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Get ya a go/no go gauge from Okie, check the firing pin protrusion and a good looking over. If it all passes and it is clean you should be good to go. Welcome to the forum. But without pics it didn't really happen. :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:welcome: Double and then tripple check the chamber for dried up old cosmo.......get a flashlight and look into all the tiny recesses. Q-Tips work great to get in there.

:worthless:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:pop: :pop: :pointup: :pointup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

After cleaning the gunk and junk out of the chamber and checking the head-space the next check is seeing how good it shoots. Just remember all of your other safety rules, expecially eye and ear protection and have a ball!!

Welcome to the club.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Other than the headspace check the rest of the checking requires your eyes, look it over, check for loose screws, look for cracks, anything that doesn't look right.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Oh,and dont forget the ammo,and a quick good cleaning(after shooting)..and bring a good strong shoulder(or two)
"Panic: :welcome2:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ever notice how new Mosin owners laugh like mad the first time they shoot one? Watch the videos on Youtube and you'll see.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
joekinsc

Post by joekinsc »

Thanks for the tips! Guess I owe you some pics...
joekinsc

Post by joekinsc »

Looks like a forced match set of serial #s, right? Iveshk arsenal. Does the YY in front of the serial number designate it as a training rifle?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet rifle. I believe it does make it a trainer. Nice find :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Damn nice find! Tell us more about "Trainers". Where is the YY? That is the correct stock and you can see the old USSR cartouch right under the arsenal mark. Nice rifle. How does it shoot?
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Here is a discussion about the trainers. It seems there is a difference of opinion on this.
http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?ac ... ic=11789.0
joekinsc

Post by joekinsc »

The YY looks like two 9s in the SN. After using the crayon, I thought they looked more like a Y than a 9. I'm a complete noob, but I read that the YY designated training rifles, so I thought I'd ask.

I just got it so I haven't had a chance to shoot it. Bought 880 rounds (2 440 round cans) of russian surplus ammo to shoot over Memorial Day W/E! Anyone from WV and wanna shoot?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Have fun :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Welcome! You'll find the shooting much better here in central Nebraska...bring it on over.beautiful rifle you have there!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
popgun

Post by popgun »

DO NOT SHOOT!!! until you do what it is said here. these guys know what it is all about. be d=== safe and then have fun.popgun :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointdown: :popgun: :popgun: :pop:
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

That is interesting about the "yy" , I had thought it only applied to M44 Mosins. But what I find curious here is the lack of the serial number prefix letters in the bolt and butt plate stamps. So I think it may have been "re lettered"? with just the "yy" applied to the barrel shank serial number. Does it appear that any original letter prefixes may have been ground off on the barrel shank stamp?

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

You have a really nice arsenal refurb Izhevsk. Good luck and welcome to the forum.