Better Hurry While They're Still Cheap!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MessEleven

Better Hurry While They're Still Cheap!

Post by MessEleven »

You guys may have already read this, but it's unfortunate news from Shotgun News Magazine. 4 million guns will be destroyed, including Mosins.

http://www.shotgunnews.com/2012/04/26/r ... lion-guns/

I hope that when I die, people say about me, 'Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money.'
- Jack Handey
tjtM38

Re: Better Hurry While They're Still Cheap!

Post by tjtM38 »

I guess this was inevitable. These Russian guys have been hoarding guns for year; selling some off to export and just hanging on to many for a rainy day or some future Balkan or Chechen conflict. At least the article said many of these guns are unserviceable. I, for one am greatful to have recently acquired some really nice M91/30 examples with good fit and finish and great shootability. Let's go buy some more! :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There are restrictions in place governing what we can import from Russia going back to the Clinton era so you would not see most of this. It's not a coincidence that our Soviet hardware comes in from Ukraine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
angelsfanbp

Post by angelsfanbp »

This is unfortunate whether or not they are still serviceable. Thats a lot of spare parts and the history behind those weapons.....
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” Thomas Jefferson
http://www.RifleGuru.com How To Videos
1937 Izhevsk M91/30 Round
1939 Tula M91/30 Ex Sniper
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I saw this the other day. Heck you would think they could of at least sold parts. What a shame.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
popgun

Post by popgun »

just a sideline!! we all needed to fight for our right to keep and bear arms. popgun :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :pop: fight
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

We would have never seen them anyway... But it's still a shame.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
The Feral Machinist

Post by The Feral Machinist »

This makes me wanna :vomit3: :vomit4: :grumpy:

I was just thinking the other night at work how amazing it would be to have billions of dollars and go to Russia and buy their remaining stock of Mosins. Then spend the next five years going through them and finding the rare ones and then sell what was left. :D :thumbsup: The movie, Lord of War comes to mind. :chuckles:
I love JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You all understand that our own government destroyed countless thousands of M1 Garand rifles right? They didn't do this because the rifles were worn past being of service, they did it to keep them out of our hands during the Clinton era. If you don't believe me remind me tomorrow and I will shoot some pics of the Garand receiver I acquired from that program that is sawed in three pieces.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
angelsfanbp

Post by angelsfanbp »

Heaven forbid that we acquire M1 Garands and have an all out turf war in L.A.....because we all know the weapon of choice for criminals is the M1 HAHAHA......I hate ignorance
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” Thomas Jefferson
http://www.RifleGuru.com How To Videos
1937 Izhevsk M91/30 Round
1939 Tula M91/30 Ex Sniper
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I wonder how the worker in an American arms factory feels about the competition from millions of cheap Soviet guns.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Now there is a great question Rick. I wonder that too. I think that most collectors have at least one modern gun but there are modern gun collectors too. I think it would help in the long run. Not sure if it is helping now though. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think I might be able to find a modern gun or 2. Perhaps a couple of Rugers. :-) I am not really concerned half as much over the Russian stockpiles being scrapped as I am about our own guns coming under attack. All this stuff about American guns ending up in the hands of the Mexican cartels just to fuel the anti-gun fire. Just how many full auto ak47's and m4 carbines are coming from Texas and California borders? I'm sure they aren't coming from Central America. Let me up.
Jolly Green Chopper

Of the more than 30 guns I have,less than Half are true American made, the rest are mostly Soviet Union. I like the old ones because I have A C&R and they are inexpensive and good guns.Trying to buy just American made would not work for me, even though it is a great idea. Just not practical. I wish I could see a good picture of the Soviet guns being destroyed. I saw a picture of thousands of them during Viet Nam.just rusting away in piles. I saw so many myself It made me really sick to see the waste at a Navy Recycling center in Bele Chase ,La during the mid 50's. Barge fulls of American made guns they said they wanted to keep off the open market to stop unfair competition with our own workers.That was during the republican admin. not just Clinton did it. We started doing it after WWII and still have not stopped the waste. Damn shame :2cents: JGC
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

At the Anniston Arsenal, across the GA border in AL, they have destroyed and most likely are still destroying thousands of WW2 era weapons. In addition, the Border Patrol regularly destroys thousands of weapons, many brand new. I saw some video of just one of their warehouses, packed with guns. Here in GA we just passed a law that says all confiscated weapons are to be resold or auctioned off to licensed dealers. Previously they were destroyed. A least one step in the right direction.
Jolly Green Chopper

The GA. law is a good one I had heard about. It's'like you you say" a step in the right direction" I have been composing my monthly letter to the NRA I will ask about what's up. I used to write a newspaper column on Gov't waste and this has always been a big one on my list of needed legislation. Thanks JGC
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

This would seem like a no brainer to me. It cost money to dispose of stuff maybe even alot. It may cost a little to auction off the weapons but in the end i think you make money and make some people happy too. A win win as it were. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You all understand that our own government destroyed countless thousands of M1 Garand rifles right? They didn't do this because the rifles were worn past being of service, they did it to keep them out of our hands during the Clinton era. If you don't believe me remind me tomorrow and I will shoot some pics of the Garand receiver I acquired from that program that is sawed in three pieces.
Well, our supreme leader also nixed the importation of thousands of M-1 Garand rifles from Korea. We gave South Korea thousands of them - and M-1 carbines - and now they are obsolete and there is an importer that wants to bring them back to sell. But the Maximum Leader killed the deal. Your govt at work - against you....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

We have them hundreds of thousands of rifles during and after the war.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Mountain Man wrote:At the Anniston Arsenal, across the GA border in AL, they have destroyed and most likely are still destroying thousands of WW2 era weapons. In addition, the Border Patrol regularly destroys thousands of weapons, many brand new. I saw some video of just one of their warehouses, packed with guns. Here in GA we just passed a law that says all confiscated weapons are to be resold or auctioned off to licensed dealers. Previously they were destroyed. A least one step in the right direction.

That's good news. 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"