First Purchase Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BrewDaddy

First Purchase Question

Post by BrewDaddy »

I'm getting ready to make my first purchase in the next couple of weeks. I've checked out all of the local shops, and nobody has any Mosins in stock. I've read plenty of posts about all the possible online dealers to buy one from - AIM, J&G, Classic, etc. Has anyone had a bad experience, or gotten a gun that they were not happy with from one of these suppliers? I'm trying to narrow my choices down a bit and get focused.

Thanks!
BD
avenger

Re: First Purchase Question

Post by avenger »

I havnt bought one online..but from what ive heard..you cant go wrong with the 10$ hand pick option :thumbsup:
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
Kyle

First Purchase Question

Post by Kyle »

I have has good luck with the 3 Mosin's I got from BudsGunShop.com.
Formerly kyle514

History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris
Celt

Post by Celt »

Buds guns had good reviews and its $109 shipped, they get my vote.I got mine first hand so I can't say for sure.that was where I was going to order from before I found my old beater.love at first site!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Aim, J&G and Southern Ohio Guns have been good to me. (You may need to have a C&R for SOG) You can buy and have it shipped to someone local. The transfer fee ranges from around $20 to $30 dollars unless you live in California. You can get a list of transfer dealers on Gunbroker.
If they still have it available, I did a bore select through J&G because I wanted a really nice laminate round receiver. It was shiny.
I use online because there are very few Mosins for me to see here in Texas. If I find one at a gun show they starts at $140 plus tax. I pretty much have to depend on mail order.
I would start with a low priced good shooter. You can learn about the gun without a lot of upfront cost. And you can shoot it :popgun:
We have met the enemy and he is us.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have used J&G and SOG and was happy with both. I have heard good things about buds but haven't used them. I would be careful if using classic. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I've bought 14 from AIM and 1 from Widener's since Nov. of last year and am happy with every one of them. Widener's is real busy and getting through to them is a chore. You can make certain requests about year and/or type in the message area when purchasing but they may or may not fullfil them. I did get a nice M91/30 Round Izhevsk though and the bayonet serial number matches the rifle. It's actually the only one I have that does now. AIM might do better in the request department and as mentioned above the handpick option does make a difference. Most of the ones I got from AIM have shiney bores with strong rifling and I didn't use the handpick option on a lot of them but when I did the boxes came through with a sticker that said Handpick on it. Keep an eye on the list here and as new rifles come up I add them. http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=5

Here's another resource for finding a local FFL to do the transfer. http://gun-deals.com/fflfinder
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I did a lot of business with Aim and was satisfied every time, I did some business with Classic Arms, I can't say they sent me any bad rifles, but their packing left much to be desired, they are under new management now , and I hear complaints, but I have not had dealings with the new people. Empire Arms has great rifles and customer service is tops. J&G also treated me well but I only bought ammo from them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BrewDaddy

Post by BrewDaddy »

Thanks for all of the input. I feel pretty welcome here. I love a good forum where a new guy can post a basic question and not get a bunch of "I'm smarter than you" type answers. I hope to make my first purchase next week, as soon as I get my two Physics finals out of the way and off my back.

Cheers!
BD
popgun

Post by popgun »

this will get alot from others!! my first was from(i do not endorse anyone) big 5 next from big5 and the next from big5(son kidnapped my last) that is about all i can get out here. all 3 was ok andprice was also ok. do as the guys say check it out as you did and go for it! let us know what you buy. popgun :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :popgun: :pointleft: