range report type 56 plus a short video

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Celt

range report type 56 plus a short video

Post by Celt »

I just got back from shooting my type 56 for the first time! What a blast! Excuse the pun.I don't have a sight tool yet and its shooting high even when holding six oclock and alittle left.when I get my sight tool in I'll fine tune it.looks like my worries about gas operated carbines, at least this one are put torest,it functioned flawlessly!I love it any advice on shooting better groups long distance is welc :popgun: :popgun: ome thanks for looking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SvRhfc ... ata_player
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Celt on Mon May 07, 2012 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
OLD OUTLAW

Re: range report type 56

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

When you get the tool. Fine tune at 25 yds. Here is the REAL (translated to English) Russian Military SKS sight in target.

Shoot carefully from a rest. DO NOT adjust to the high side here. Get in the little man if possible. But, if in the low side of the man, you will be in the kill zone out to 300 meters. OH, this is strictly calibrated for 7.62X39. It was also used for the AK47 Series.
I try to fine tune mine at or just a fraction of an inch below that center white dot. With practice and adjustments, you should get nearly all rounds in the little man at 25 yards. Shoot 3 shot groups, then let it cool a bit.Then three more. This target will force you to get consistent with each round. If you are not shooting the same way every round, you cannot get consistent three round groups into that little man. It forced me to
be a better shooter. This target will copy to exact dimensions on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
Good Luck!
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Celt! Forgot the most important part. Correct sight picture for the SKS and AK is sit the very bottom of the little man squarely on top of your front sight blade!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Thanks.I'll have my wife pull it up on her computer.can't wait to go again.next time I'll bench rest.I was shooting off hand with no sling. I also wasn't really letting it cool down much. I kind of wanted to put it through its paces to see if there was a problem.no problem except the shooter :D Thanks for the info!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

That little man is a tough target, like OO, it helped me alot using it :thumbsup: , after alot of paper :oops: :thumbsup:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Well, if you want to shoot an SKS or AK, you gotta use the same target as the Russians and their allies did.
Yes, it will try your patience. But, once you can shoot well enough to master it, you will have mastered any SKS or AK. 7.62X39 that is.
Now, at 100 you will not hit the center of a bull. You will be high. But, in a kill zone. One target does not zero for every distance.
This one is based on ballistics and combat out to 300 meters. If you want to fine tune for a certain distance, then do so.
I just want all my SKS to hit the kill zone out to the 300 meters it is designed for and will do. I shoot Russians, Yugo, Chinese, and Romanians.
ALL when tuned to this target shoot the same after that.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Excellent!
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

OLD OUTLAW wrote: I shoot Russians, Yugo, Chinese, and Romanians.
And Swedes :thumbsup: :chuckles:

Like the old guy told me from Czechoslovakia, "aim for the belt buckle"
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Greasemonkey wrote:
OLD OUTLAW wrote: I shoot Russians, Yugo, Chinese, and Romanians.
And Swedes :thumbsup: :chuckles:

Like the old guy told me from Czechoslovakia, "aim for the belt buckle"
Carl, be very careful. The next Swede you want may be mine to take! :D :D :chuckles:
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

the sks carbine is allot of fun to shoot and great to teach kids and wives on . You will really enjoy it the more you shoot it
Celt

Re: range report type 56 plus a short video

Post by Celt »

Well don't I feel stupid.I didn't notice there was a setting before one hundred meters.its a three.what does this mean?I know it means I was shooting high because of it.what is that setting for? Also, look,I made an elevation tool.couldn't wait. :D is it for three hundred meters?
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

If you mean like this III, it is a sight symbol of some type. Not used for ranges at all. Ignore it. The line under the 1 is the 100yd setting.
Celt

Post by Celt »

No, not like III like this 3 when I put it on the three before the 100 meter mark it raises the sight quite a bit.sorry forgot to post the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Whether a III which is quite common, your 3 means the same I think. I forgot about the fact if you move your sight completely to the rear where it lifts up, that is a 300 meter battle sight position. That would make you shoot high at less than 300 meters.

Where you have it in this pic is the 100 setting. That is the only one I really use. When I am done at 25, I go to the 50, then the 100. I make sight tweaks
as I go. Just always remember, these are not a precision target gun to put one bullet in another. Have fun. I'm going out Wednesday for a couple of hours.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Thanks for the info!I have it on 100 in the picture but at the range I didn't notice it was on the three.to excited to shoot it for the first time.have fun! :D
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Hey outlaw, that target is now my wallpaper on my phone! Can't wait to shoot it :D
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

celt1314 wrote:Hey outlaw, that target is now my wallpaper on my phone! Can't wait to shoot it :D
It is difficult to master. Don't expect too much at first.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Normally I use my old lunch box as a bench rest but they have sandbags I can use at the range.I think I'll try them instead.more stable platform.i'm not expecting instant victory.tart ta :big shock: rget is tiny.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

I should say shoot AT it. :D
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!