Recoil Pads

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Bkloes

Re: Recoil Pads

Post by Bkloes »

Billybob....I don't mind being called a whippersnapper, although at my fire station I am known as grampa (Not out of my 30's yet). I just wanted to post and say hi, and no reason to be embarrassed.....One of the guys thought his MN kicked too.....Maybe it is only the Russians as my Finnish is soft as a baby's butt. All jokes aside, to each their own...I hope you find a good buffer pad. :thumbsup:
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hi billybob, welcome to the forum!

You know, I am going to call your bluff and raise you one. I too am getting up there in years and don't always ask to get my butt kicked intentionally, but when it comes to these old rifles, I actually look forward to it. I used to shoot a LOT and I have the sore shoulder smile for a week afterwards. Now, I rarely shoot, but when I do, I make it count. Having this old rifle "speak" to me is part of the fun of dragging it out to the range. No, I don't shoot a hundred rounds through it during one outing, but I shoot it as she came to me. If I plan on making a day of it and intend on getting a lot of lead down range, I bring the .22s or maybe the AR. If I want to relive history, I shoot the military surplus. 20 rounds is enough to bring a smile to my face and to make my shoulder sore the next day.

You can get a slip on pad that won't alter the historical value of the rifle, but that's like watering down the whole experience. Hold it tight, feel the history and pull the trigger. Enjoy...
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
popgun

Post by popgun »

thank you mnfan! you said what i said but nice. i am out of this post as (some know) s--- like his sounds like something is wrong. OH i am 87. do not tell me about kick. hell he never been where i have!!!! popgun :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :pop: TRUTH IS WHERE IT LAY. popgun
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

popgun wrote:thank you mnfan! you said what i said but nice. i am out of this post as (some know) s--- like his sounds like something is wrong. OH i am 87. do not tell me about kick. hell he never been where i have!!!! popgun :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :pop: TRUTH IS WHERE IT LAY. popgun
Pop what are we gonna do with you? I guess we'll keep ya. I'll tell ya this. Where I live a lot of the old timers are in their 80's and when I go to thier farms to help out I have a hard time keeping up. My best buddy is a WW2 vet and he makes me feel like I'm 100 sometimes. I think it's the barley cokes he has in between fence posts. ;)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

desdem12 wrote:I'm pretty sure they have them at walmart. The slip on kind anyway. :D
Some stores do. Otherwise it should be available on the website. Choose site-to-store option, have it shipped to the store of your choice & you don't pay shipping.

Never had a need for a recoil pad on the Mosin... Just place that buttstock into the pocket, the meat of the shoulder between the shoulder blade & collarbone & your good to go. Had a buddy who utilized that military M16 high ride posture... I warned him to drop it into the pocket... He didn't listen & he had a hamburger shoulder for days after.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That or they fail to hold it tightly to the flesh leaving a nice air gap between steel buttplate and meat, hammer effect.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
popgun

Post by popgun »

need to say this! a butt is a butt. if this guy shoot all them guns, HE should know about bbbbbbuuut pads as i said i did put one on my 91/30 for my wife. did the best i could she wanted to try. hell just lost wifes uncle then wife fell hurt arm and leg bad. where is new york! need to blow of steam. popgun :popgun: :popgun: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Can't believe I missed this thread. Limbsaver slip on pad. Run you around $40 or so at walmart or Academy Sports. I think I got the medium sized one. I have one on my Mosin and my Mauser and I love them. The Limbsaver makes shooting the Mosin and the Mauser fun for me. I get beat up by them without it.

I will put it this way. The week before my 8mm Mauser came in, Weldonhunter and I went shooting. He let me shoot his Mauser. Had a pile of ammo, told me to shoot all I wanted. I shot it 5 times. Then went and shot probably 100 pain free rounds with my Mosin with the Limbsaver. I guess some people can take recoil, some not so much. The pad slips off easily, no damage to the gun.
Last edited by Fred_G on Fri May 11, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The limbsaver works just fine. They come in different sizes, make sure you get the one that fits. (I didn't the first time)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
popgun

Post by popgun »

guess iam the outhouse again! popgun no pop for me! :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :devil2: :devil2: