sight adjustment

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
timlin33

sight adjustment

Post by timlin33 »

I recently took my 1937 Mosin to the range and hit the target 10 shots out of 20 at 50 yards. Most of the shots that hit were in the lower right of the target. Is there a way to adjust the sights so that they shoot where you aim it?
pacanis

Re: sight adjustment

Post by pacanis »

Yes, hold it high left :mrgreen:
(sorry) :bwink:

You can drift the front sight with a brass punch or buy a sight tool from out sponsor (if he's still making them).
And you are hitting LOW at 50??? Good for you! My guess is you are "burying" the front post like many of us were taught to shoot. Most of us shoot these old milsurps high. Just move your rear sight up a click or two. Hitting low is easy to fix.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
timlin33

Post by timlin33 »

LOL yes I figured out the "hold it high left" but hate to shoot like that. I will give the rear sight adjustment a try - Thanks.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I read recently that Bruce had stopped production of the tools for a while and I don't know if he's back making them or selling them but if you need one quickly his tools are for sale here, https://www.buymilsurp.com/mosin-nagant ... 10266.html
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Still making them, just not as fast as I was...wife is mostly recovered from her surgery now, took a little longer as she seems to have developed a slight allergy to the Betadine solution they VERY LIBERALLY swabbed her down with. Imagine an 8" cut basically from your carotid artery to your windpipe. Now imagine it as the center of a mass of hives from the middle of her chest, up across both shoulders to the middle of her back, and up to her jawline.

I'm finishing up 14 Range Buddy tools in the AM, 10 go to buymilsurp, the rest to fill orders, then I'm on to 10 44/53 tools also for Mark, but any orders will be taking precedence as he still has a few of those in stock.
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

Glad to hear your wife's recovering. I picked up one of your tools from buymilsurp since I wanted to get started and it was very quick and easy to adjust the windage. It definitely just takes a little motion to make a big difference in the target - if I were using a punch I'd probably still be cursing it.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

That's exactly why I started making them. Trying to adjust my 91/30 was next to impossible to get that "last little bit", I went back and forth past where it needed to be three or four times before I said to heck with it, I'm going home and making a tool to do this.