I Think I Got Bubba'ed Again..

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
shoto2758

I Think I Got Bubba'ed Again..

Post by shoto2758 »

I Picked this 91/59 up today..The guy had it double sealed in foodsaver air tight bags,from the 90's.He said he put linseed oil on the wood,and hoops on the medal(he had the bolt sealed seperate) When i get it home and do a quick rubdown,it looks like the hand guard where it butts up to the sights is coated with a hard coat,maybe varnish :angry4: .the rifle looks awful shiny.Shouldn't linseed oil wipe off ?Although it has been sealed for about 14 years.I'm just thinking it couted with something else.. :oops: :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
BuckeyeSgt

Re: I Think I Got Bubba'ed Again..

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Brass caps? In the Army I hated all the brass stuff...it would turn green if you didn't polish it.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

thats not brass,its a clear coat over it,and the lighting,making it look that way..
Do Not Think Of Winning.

Gichin Funakoshi
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

If linseed oil, heavily applied, ever gets over the sticky stage, I think it does get hard.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think you are ok. It looks good still. Not sure why they think they need to do these kinds of things to guns :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

First get some alcohol, no, not for drinking, take a Q tip, dip it in the alcohol, even whiskey will do, rub a tiny area on the stock someplace out of the way . If the Q tip starts to discolor then it's shellac on the stock, if not then it's poly. I don't recall seeing 91/59's for sale in 1998, I believe they came in around the same time as all the refurbs started showing up in 2000-2002 sometime. If it's poly you will have to strip the stock to get it off, a real shame, or just leave it as it is.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

no discolor on the q tip with alcohol..
Do Not Think Of Winning.

Gichin Funakoshi
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think it is salvageable if you take your time on it. Try a few different things in out of the sight places and it may come off easy. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's poly, only stripping will remove it, at this point I would leave it alone, you will never recover the color of the original finish if you strip it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

ok..:( thanks jyd..
Do Not Think Of Winning.

Gichin Funakoshi
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

SWEARGASM - (SUH-where-gazum) - the explosive rush of profanity that comes as a result of repeated, intense stimulation of the "i'm getting pissed off" nerve. Known to cause light-headedness, a feeling of euphoria, and a need to have some whiskey.
Do Not Think Of Winning.

Gichin Funakoshi
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's still a 91/59, and the poly will not stop it from shooting like a 91/59.
Theodore Roosevelt
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

shoto2758 wrote:SWEARGASM - (SUH-where-gazum) - the explosive rush of profanity that comes as a result of repeated, intense stimulation of the "i'm getting pissed off" nerve. Known to cause light-headedness, a feeling of euphoria, and a need to have some whiskey.

Like this?

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Indeed a prime example of never buying or maybe I should say listening to the story but buying the rifle for what it is. That is I am afraid grossly over shiny and think coating and I am betting some kind of Poly which as Dog said only removed by stripping and indeed you will be hard pressed to ever get the proper color back. That coating is so thick I really wonder whether you will be able to get the rifle apart without making a real mess of what is there. Real shame people have to do that to rifles but some people insist on being buttheads I guess. Good Luck! Bill
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

SA1911a1 wrote:If linseed oil, heavily applied, ever gets over the sticky stage, I think it does get hard.
Usually people use "boiled" linseed oil which has some drying agents added. It's pretty much set in a day - similar to tung oil. Both are suitable for US military rifles - either could have been used on a 1903 or a Garand depending on the year.

It sure looks modern to me though - I'm guessing he either forgot or he got some kind of finish that maybe had a little lindseed oil but was mostly modern. I know they do that with tung oil (minwax tung oil finish is handy to have around the house but it contains very little tung oil and shouldn't be put on a military gun stock).
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

well,it is what it is at this point..the rifle comes apart easy,and the parts and barrel are in excellent shape,it actually looks like its never been fired,its in that good of shape.So anyway,i'll see if i can get it to the range this weekend..i got a feeling this rifle is going to give them scope boys all they can handle.It feels real good in the hands.I'll give a range report.
Do Not Think Of Winning.

Gichin Funakoshi
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

websterz wrote:
shoto2758 wrote:SWEARGASM - (SUH-where-gazum) - the explosive rush of profanity that comes as a result of repeated, intense stimulation of the "i'm getting pissed off" nerve. Known to cause light-headedness, a feeling of euphoria, and a need to have some whiskey.

Like this?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

It's a thick coat of furniture polyurethane. Stripping would be a nightmare. Just enjoy shooting it.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
angryatbreakfast

Post by angryatbreakfast »

Despite the previous owner's bubba finish job, it's still a very nice gun. If you want to take some of the shine out of it, some #0000 steel wool will do a great job, but you might just want to leave it as is and like others have said, just enjoy shooting it.