1934 Tula Hex 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MessEleven

1934 Tula Hex 91/30

Post by MessEleven »

This is my first Mosin, picked it up a couple of weeks ago and finally shot it yesterday. WOW! What a fun rifle to shoot! Very accurate at short range (50 yards) with 5" groupings after about 15 rounds of figuring it out. I will say I was amazed how straight the gun shoots with no front sight correction necessary. After shooting with the steel plate for a while, I put a Shooterspads gel-filled recoil pad on, and it made a world of difference.

This won't be my last! :biggrin:

I hope that when I die, people say about me, 'Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money.'
- Jack Handey
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1934 Tula Hex 91/30

Post by Rongo »

:alien:

Alright!!! Congratulations on your first Mosin... Glad you realized early on that they are in many ways just like a potato chip; You can't stop at just one. :biggrin:

Welcome to the forum & I hope to see you around. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

You get used to the recoil, its not bad compaired to some rifle out there, but I have two 45-70's with vintage stocks and metal butt plates, so I'm more used to it.
As you shoot more, and extend your range and you will quickly find those 5 inch groups will hold at 100!
I have found the iron sights to be fairly good. Its harder to tighten my groups up with older eyes but I'll bet there are pleanty out here who sooht some impressive tight groups....you may be the next one!!!!!!!
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Celt

Post by Celt »

:thumbsup: :welcome: dance5
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice, Now where are the pictures? :ugeek: :beek: :vcool: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MessEleven

Post by MessEleven »

Thanks for the welcome, guys!
TopperT wrote:You get used to the recoil, its not bad compaired to some rifle out there, but I have two 45-70's with vintage stocks and metal butt plates, so I'm more used to it.
As you shoot more, and extend your range and you will quickly find those 5 inch groups will hold at 100!
I have found the iron sights to be fairly good. Its harder to tighten my groups up with older eyes but I'll bet there are pleanty out here who sooht some impressive tight groups....you may be the next one!!!!!!!
I'm with you, Topper...these eyes are not getting any better with age!

I hope that when I die, people say about me, 'Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money.'
- Jack Handey
MessEleven

Post by MessEleven »

desdem12 wrote:Nice, Now where are the pictures? :ugeek: :beek: :vcool: :lol:
It's a nice day here, so maybe I'll pull out the old Brownie and take a few shots.

- Jack Handey
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:lol: :lol: While i am sure the brownie will work good i think those are tough to load on the computer. I suppose you can scan them though. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

desdem12 wrote::lol: :lol: While i am sure the brownie will work good i think those are tough to load on the computer. I suppose you can scan them though. :thumbsup:
Did someone say brownies :Drool1: yum. No nuts.
I wonder what brownies with bacon bits would be like.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Chocolate Bacon....OH YA :Drool1:
MessEleven

Post by MessEleven »

desdem12 wrote::lol: :lol: While i am sure the brownie will work good i think those are tough to load on the computer. I suppose you can scan them though. :thumbsup:
Nah...I have one of those newfangled computators that takes roll film right into the top.

- Jack Handey
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice lookin Russian red head there. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
MessEleven

Post by MessEleven »

desdem12 wrote:Nice lookin Russian red head there. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Thanks! Do you think that top forestock piece was replaced when they were refurbishing or earlier? I know it's tough to tell and there's no markings, but was this a common practice using a lighter wood?

- Jack Handey
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It is tough to tell from that picture but i would say it probably was replaced at some time. The reason could be any from a broken one from hitting germans on the head to losing one in the field or just needing a new one at refurb. I would not worry about it. You have to pay extra these days for 2 tone pistols so you are ahead of the game. :thumbsup: :D
dou44

Post by dou44 »

welcome and you got a nice one there. :thumbsup:
MessEleven

Post by MessEleven »

Just realized I forgot the sling in the photo. :roll:

- Jack Handey
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No worries, I am too lazy to put the sling on most of the time :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt