World War Era Smith and Wesson's

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
etprescottazusa91

World War Era Smith and Wesson's

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

IMG_0531.JPG
Here are two Smith and Wesson service revolvers, the first is a Model 1917 currently the only .45 I own. When purchased it was rough, the previous owner had allowed corrosion to set in some of which pitted a few spots (the butt in the pic for example) though overall still in good shape with no import marks. The revolver was on consignment and was suppose to come with the original GI holster, the holster had not been dropped off at the shop yet. I placed a low ball offer of $275.00 on it and the owner accepted. When I went in a week later the holster had not been dropped off, the shop called the seller only to be told that they had accepted half of what is was worth, and I could forget about the holster, cant win them all.
Next is a Smith and Wesson Victory Model, basically a cruder war time production M@P, this one turned up in a box of police trade ins I was digging thru ten years ago, currently the Victory Model is being restored, I have found the original grips correct for the revolver, when I find the lanyard it will be complete. This is a great shooter, almost as tight as when it was made and very accurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: World War Era Smith and Wesson's

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Two nice looking revolvers 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

No doubt about it. Two beautiful American classics.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I love those old Smith's... 8-) 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
etprescottazusa91

One rare Smith and Wesson issued during WWII that went to all members of the Alaska Territorial Guards were Smith and Wesson 22/32 kit guns, Every soldier had one in order to obtain small game for survival, now talk about a rare substitute standard firearm issued to the soldiers who trained to defend Alaska from the Japanese. I really wonder how many survive and are out there still, some probable have been passed down in native families that had family members serve. The 22/32 Kit Gun a .22 caliber military handgun many do not know ever served, finding an authentic issue example is one unusual military pistol model I would like to obtain someday.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Classics..... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

They really hold their style, even today in this world of autos.

Dolk
etprescottazusa91

IMG_0535.JPG
I'll Bump this one up also and post up some better pics. The victory model is all matching (except grips, correct for gun though added later) several additional pics of the numbered components. Also additional pic of the Model 1917
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Very nice, thanks for sharing them. 8-)
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
etprescottazusa91

I was able to complete the restoration of the S@W Victory Model, found an original Smith and Wesson lanyard for sale (Liberty Tree) I had to fashion an installation pin until I can find one not a critical part and now with a lanyard ring installed the old revolver is complete. Not a great accomplishment in the world of restoration though a handgun I have wanted to make original for a long time. This one is a regular shooter, works great.

( I almost have as much into the original Victory grips and lanyard as I spent on the revolver itself)

Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt