Bulk ammo storage

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Bkloes

Bulk ammo storage

Post by Bkloes »

Once you open the spam can, how do you store your bulk ammo? I am getting a collection with my SKS ammo and now the Mosin. Is it important to keep it sealed as best as possible if you are not going through it fast?
desdem12

Re: Bulk ammo storage

Post by desdem12 »

I have a few u.s. ammo cans that i use for ammo. They are cheap and have a good seal and easy to open and carry too. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i keep mine in the ammo cans also unless i am shooting alot of it then i just put it in a box so i can take out what i need.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Ammo cans are the best cheap way, offer some fire protection and moisture protection as well.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A smart man uses a .50 USGI ammo can, it will hold the 440 rounds from the spam can and seal up airtight when not in use. You can also split it up into two .30 UDGI ammo cans and make it easier to lug around. If you are not smart you can pack 20mm ammo cans with 2700 rounds of ammo each and then need a forklift to move it after blowing out your back trying to move them yourself. Just trust me on that last one .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
swoop85

Post by swoop85 »

++++ on the ammo cans both .30 and .50 caliber. hahaha JYD I did that (20 mm ammo can) and filled with 8mm.... then discovered I could hardly move it ... had to empty into .50 cal ammo cans.... :)
Bkloes

Post by Bkloes »

I will need to pick up some of those cans....I bought 1260 rounds for my SKS....Currently they're left in the boxes in the wood crate, not really moisture proof. I will open a spam can of 7.62x54 once those show up. I can believe you on the 2700 rounds......my crate of SKS ammo weighed something like 80 lbs, thought it was only 40 lbs at first. I was packing it around the house, thinking I had become a whimp :lol: The Mosin ammo being bigger and more than 2x as many....would equal 200lbs or so :chuckles:
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

In the wood isn't so bad - it lifts the can off of any concrete floor which is the thing that will really kill you. Then just open the spam cans as you need them, and I've got mine in a pair of 30 cal USGI cans which is really plenty to be lugging around.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Start saving the silica desiccant packets you get in retail packaging like shoes, clothes & such. Put them in the ammo can to help absorb moisture.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
dou44

Post by dou44 »

most of my 8mm ammo the rest is in the closets
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: You and weldon hunter have the market cornered. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I buy the .50 cal. at gun shows sometimes for $8.00 in good shape they were going for $10.00 at the last one and the seller told me the suppliers are going from metal to plastic but I did not see any. I have 10 .50's for loose ammo and leave the rest in the crates. Seal a Meal plastic food bags are useful for a lot of reasons also.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

20mm cans are plentiful right now... They are very large & quite heavy when full; But they go for around $20 here & provide a lot of storage space for little money.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lets hope they are plentiful at the flea markets around here this summer, I need a few more. It was the Turk 8mm that I long term stashed in the 20mm cans, thought I had a plan until I went to move them :) I had to unload the cans, move them to were I wanted to stash them, and reload them all up again.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BostonMike

Bulk ammo storage

Post by BostonMike »

30 cal ammo cans here at local surplus stores, although my supply of 7.62x54r is getting so big I should get a 50cal can now

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: More ammo is a good thing :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Lets hope they are plentiful at the flea markets around here this summer, I need a few more. It was the Turk 8mm that I long term stashed in the 20mm cans, thought I had a plan until I went to move them :) I had to unload the cans, move them to were I wanted to stash them, and reload them all up again.
The downside of 20mm cans. Put them where you want them, fill them & leave them.

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A pointer if you start getting a lot of ammo in lot's of cans... Label the cans contents.

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Always, otherwise I would go crazy with 50+ unmarked .50 cans and another 20 or so .30 ones, plus all the oddball ones like the fat fifties, Navy rocket boxes and so on.
Theodore Roosevelt
swoop85

Post by swoop85 »

Dou44... what was the big box that you are storing ammo in originally for? What era is it? Thanks