Bulgarian silvertip.........

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Sgt. Rob

Bulgarian silvertip.........

Post by Sgt. Rob »

I was not aware this stuff existed until this can showed up at my door from SGAmmo. Anybody here shoot this yet? And if so, what did you think of it?

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
MarkB

Re: Bulgarian silvertip.........

Post by MarkB »

The can I got is bulgarian but it is not silver tipped and it shoots good for me nothing to complain about here. Cheers!
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

So far I have been shooting alot of regular Bulgarian as well with no complaints. I am curious though as I have not seen anything that I can recall on Bulgarian silver tip ammo. I have had or have Czech, Polish and Russian silver tip over the years, but this can was a surprise. I may have to open it now even though this was supposed to be a stock pile order.

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I picked up a can of that a week or two ago. But I haven't opened it yet. Still got 600 rounds in ammo cans.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I bought some Bulgarian 1980 manufacture (headstamp 10 over 80). It shot well but slightly lower in my M91/30. No misfires. Almost as good as the light ball Russian. I would buy it again.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Czech, and Hungarian silver tip I have fired, first I am hearing of Bulgarian. Last Bulgarian I saw was several years back in tin spam cans all green, and with cracked necks. This stuff looks much improved.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

I am shooting through a can of the normal Bulgarian 10 over 80 ammo now. You guys are tempting me to open this can and see just what is inside. I can not find any info on this even looking through a couple other forums. Curiousity just may get the better of me. :lol:

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's a can of special exploding tip anti Zombie ammo :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

How do you know it is silver tipped?
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

The silver bar on the spam can indicates that this ammo will have a "silver tip." It is not really anything but painted silver; the Russians did the same thing to their 1970s vintage ammo. The Bulgarian stuff I have (headstamp 10 over 80) does not have a silver tip, but it is still light ball steel core ammo (basically a bimetal bullet with lead and steel). The bullet just looks like a copper jacketed FMJ bullet.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I still have a 50 cal ammo can full of the Hungarian heavy ball. They have a yellow paint tip.
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Why would the Soviets and the Warsaw Pact go to the trouble to I.D. some ammo with a silver tip and some with out if it is supposed to be the same thing? I've got some thoughts on this, but would like to hear what ya'll think.

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I think they gave up the silver marking in the late 70s early 80s. Ball ammo then became unmarked; everything else (tracer, heavy ball, armor piercing) was marked.

Look at the bullet types in the Russian section:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoIDII.htm#Russia
brickman7

Post by brickman7 »

Anyone shot 10 over 71 Bulgarian Silvertip? I've been buying this from Ammunition To Go located in east Texas....
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Sgt. Rob wrote:Why would the Soviets and the Warsaw Pact go to the trouble to I.D. some ammo with a silver tip and some with out if it is supposed to be the same thing? I've got some thoughts on this, but would like to hear what ya'll think.

Semper Fi, Rob
Here is my take on it:

The light steel core bullet was adopted in 1953 and the tip was painted silver to distinguish it from the light lead core bullet which was still in the supply chain.

The light lead bullets although last produced in 1953 remained in the supply chain until "the middle 1970s”.

So the silver tip was needed from 1953 through the mid 1970s but was no longer necessary after that.

Reference
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

One of the cases of ammo I got a few months ago was Bulgarian Silver tip and when I tried a few they seemed to be about the same as most of the surplus I have. I will try some again and make a comparison with a few other and post the results soon, You got my curiosity going.I have eight different MN's that I shoot so my memory won't help much. I'm 67 with PTSD so I can't rely on my memory more than a month or so but I still have good eyes. I don't ever use any optics but I'm thinking about it for low light situations. My boy scouts like to shoot the carbines so I'll get them to try it. Although that may affect the results, it will be interesting to see the outcome.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I like the Bulgarian. It is very consistent and I have had no misfires. Next spam can I am opening is Russian mid-70's light ball. I also have some early 1947 Russian heavy ball I want to try in my '43 Izhevsk "shooter."
Mike

Post by Mike »

The majority of the milsurp I've bought recently has been the silver tip bulgarian, I've had a few split necks but it seems very accurate.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I just received my spam can of Bulgarian 147 LB with the silver tip from AIM. It looks like good clean ammo. Mine is markede 10 over 71. I am looking forward to shooting my MNs. Naturally we are having some nasty rainy weather all this week (central Alabama)
Freebooter
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Thanks Rob. That reminded me to open the box of Bulgarian 148 Gr. I got from Copes. I have shot this before and had good results. It's not as good as the Czech silver tip I got from you 3 years ago though, still have most of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!