Hand Picked Mosin-Nagants

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jolly Green Chopper

Hand Picked Mosin-Nagants

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

So far the $10.00 extra for each of the 5 Mosin-Nagants I've received has been excellent. That's the only way I've ordered them so I don't really know for sure about MN"s not hand picked.. I sent back a GLOCK 22 to SOG not hand picked. The GLOCK 22 they sent to replace it was hand picked like new in a box for $10.00 extra . Two other hand picked pistols from SOG were also very nice. Can anyone else add their experience with on line dealers supply quality. I'm gonna buy a better camera to post some picture to show soon .The phone camera I tried was worthless to this thread,sorry for not including some decent pictures. JGC
SA1911a1

Re: Hand Picked Mosin-Nagants

Post by SA1911a1 »

The only time I used the "hand pick" option was when I ordered two Hex Mosins about three years ago. I got the option on one of the rifles, I couldn't figure out which was the hand-selected one, so I never did it again.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Jolly Green Chopper

Thanks General,good luck if you do try to fight the fungus in your garden.The tomato's black rot was the worst last year .I may have to give up if the cost of the Daconil anti-fungus chemicals cost more than.. the darn toms. are worth.They say north Fla. is a hard place to beat the problem. JGC
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I used it every time i ordered something so i would be no help. I am not sure if it makes a difference or not but i do it anyway :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i used the hand pick from sog when i bought my m39 and it was a very nice rifle they sent me.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My suspicious mind imagines that the only hand picking going on it the hand that reaches into the pile and drags back the first rifle it touches. Most of the rifles I bought were from small dealers and individuals as I was buying them by date , the Soviet Mosins anyway, so it was never a real issue.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I asked for hand picked for the last 2 Laminates I bought from AIM but that was because I requested pre 1940's dates. I got a '39 and a '39.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well technically they are pre 40s :vconfused: At least they could a given you a different year for one. :roll:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Jolly Green Chopper

The GLOCK22 SOG 1st sent me was so bad my FFL dealer called them himself to get me another one,It came in a new box from Georgia with a new main spring saying it had bee re-conditioned and except for minor holster wear the left front it looked new.I have since fired many 100's of all types of .40 cal ammo. with no problems at all. Just $10.00 for hand pick made a real difference this time. :D
Jolly Green Chopper

The GLOCK22 SOG 1st sent me was so bad my FFL dealer called them himself to get me another one,It came in a new box from Georgia with a new main spring saying it had bee re-conditioned and except for minor holster wear the left front it looked new.I have since fired many 100's of all types of .40 cal ammo. with no problems at all. Just $10.00 for hand pick made a real difference this time. :D
newguy

Post by newguy »

Hello All,

I've always admired the Mosin's since I first saw one fired at a range. It has finally come time to get one... or a few.

Years ago, it seemed you could peruse the SOG website and order what you wanted to your local FFL. Apparently that is no longer the case. How would you guys recommend sourcing a top condition 91/30? I see you guys seem to have been purchasing from SOG recently, and that the extra $10 might be worth it. Is that the source of choice?

Thanks.
The New Guy.
Siam

Post by Siam »

If you are planning on purchasing more than 1 or 2 you should consider getting a C&R FFL. Not everyone agrees but it does save a bunch of money in transfer fees and record keeping is minimal. Aim Surplus, SOG, J&G and a few other online dealers are good places to look. If you have a Big 5 or Big R in your area they have nice common year 91/30's, and you can pick the one you want for no extra charge.
Ed
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I paid the hand select fee when I bought my first Mosin twenty years ago a Finn model 91 at the time I thought it a waste of money when I received the rifle. They sent me a 1905 dated Sestroretsk that shoots good, my first Mosin and one I still have.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome Newguy. Siam has it right. Check your local stores as they may have some. I buy from every where i can :lol: I have ordered them and have bought from local gun stores, big 5 and also from pawn shops. You can try gun broker too if you are adventureous. :D
Jolly Green Chopper

So far I have Two Mosin-Nagants, from AIM. One from R Guns, Two from SOG with a glock22 ,2 AK47's, A 9MM PHP Military pistol, all hand picked and in excellent condition. I will say I have tried 6 times to buy a CETME Rifle which is in every SOG catalog over the last year and a half and they never have one even though they continue to carry it. It's in their new catalog I just got yesterday and the do not have one again. My FFL dealer thinks if you don't order from them often, they just won't give you the good stuff unless they have extra. When i got my 9mm PHP they only sent one magazine. Took two phone calls to get them to send me the promised 2nd one.I tried to buy extra magazines for it and they wouldn't sell me one. The sales girl said they had a warehouse full of PHP pistols,just no parts.THe PHP they sent me was Perfect That was $10.00 hand picked but not needed.Thanks JGC
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

desdem12 wrote:Well technically they are pre 40s :vconfused: At least they could a given you a different year for one. :roll:
OPPS. My fingers scribbled, they are a '36 and a '37. Sorry about that.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Both would be lower production years, not bad, a lot of these years were sent to Spain to aid the fight against the Fascists during the Spanish Civil war.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt