Type-63 Carbine, North Korean SKS

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

Type-63 Carbine, North Korean SKS

Post by martin08 »

One of the least common variants of the SKS Carbine is known as the Type-63, manufactured in North Korea. The platform for the North Korean is based on the Russian SKS-45 in design and operation, but it also shares a similar designation with the Chinese select fire variation, aslo called the Type-63 or Type-63/68. Aside from the similar model name and shared small parts design, the full-auto Chinese gun is in no way associated in function with the North Korean. So, for practical purposes in this presentation, the Type-63 designation will refer to the North Korean model only.

As the model number suggests, it was introduced in 1963, thus no North Korean SKS's were ever recovered from the Korean War where hostilities ceased in 1953. And instead, most all models found in the US would likely have come from the Vietnam War. Several Communist countries offered military aid to North Vietnam, and SKS's were provided in modest numbers by North Korea, Russia, East Germany, and Romania, and in large numbers by the Chinese.

The Type-63 is originally designed with a blade bayonet, though one bringback example has been retrofitted with a Russian Mosin Nagant M44 or Chinese T-53 spike bayonet. Most are found in laminated stocks, similar to the Russian birch, but a few are found in hardwood stocks. The laminate layers are cross-grained like the Russian stocks with the same number of layers, as opposed to the much thinner layered parallel-grained stocks of East Germany and China (rare).

Though surely incomplete, the most comprehensive list of serial numbers for the Type-63 can be found on SKS Boards, where member Prince50 is tracking known specimens. At this time, eleven units are recorded, though many more are likely to be present in the US.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=89913.0

My Type-63 Carbine, with early style Chinese khaki canvas sling and leather keepers is pictured below. The distinctive roll-stamped receiver cover logo is the most noticeable outward identifier for the firearm. The circled star North Korean military symbol is above the number 63 and three Korean letters/characters. A possible translation of the markings on the gun have been added at the end of the thread.

A clear image of the receiver cover logo may be viewed on a part that is not associated with the featured carbine. I picked up this cover from a bolt group that was recovered in Afghanistan in 2010.

One of the first things you may have noticed is the US M-15 styled grenade launcher disc mounted to the left side of the receiver. Eight of the eleven known and recorded examples are retrofitted with grenade launcher capabilities. To utilize the launching sight, the front gas block is drilled through and a pinned lever-styled valve is installed to block gas flow in the grenade launching mode. Unlike the Yugoslavian M59/66, which employs a gas shut-off cylinder, the retrofitted Type-63 shut-off is a simple flap that covers the 5/32" gas port which is drilled into the top of the barrel. Some gas port levers are serial numbered to the gun, mine is not.

Internal images of the gas valve open and closed.

The grenade launcher itself is a hybrid of two US designs. The spigot is M8 launcher model, made for the M1 .30cal carbine. The attachment clamp is taken from the M1 launcher model, designed for the M1903 (may also be the M2, for the M1917). The front sight slot was widened for application with the SKS. The two pieces are crudely welded together and ground down. Though this particular launcher is not perfectly aligned with the bore, the fit is absolutely snug to the gun. Other launchers have been documented, but this hybrid style is most common. The M15 launcher sight is utilized for this function.

As the Type-63 was introduced in 1963, it most closely resembles the Chinese Type-56 carbine that was in simultaneous production at the Jianshe Arsenal, Factory /26\. However both the North Korean and the Chinese were based on the Russian SKS-45, and the following pictures include a refurbished 1952 Tula SKS for comparison purposes.

The similarities and differences of the laminated stock are most interesting. Other design observations are also noted. In all photos, the North Korean is the lighter colored wood with clear shellac, and the Russian with amber shellac.

1. Both the North Korean and the Russian stocks appear to be constructed of cross-grained birch and have an identical number of layers, at 47. The milled trigger groups are similar, with serrated safety levers. Magazine housings are identical in shape. The North Korean does have a larger rivet head for retaining the follower spring.

2. The Type-63 stock has two front reinforcing pins, vs. only on on the SKS-45. The grasping groove is shorter on the Type-63. North Korean has a solid hardwood handguard, and the Russian has horizontal lamination. The Type-63 has the third generation Russian rear sight block and gas tube lever (two eared) design, vs. the second generation shown on the SKS-45.

3. The Type-63 wrist has two pins instead of the single Russian crossbolt. The trigger finger relief cut is also much longer and more shallow on the North Korean. (please disregard the B-square scope mount on the Russian! I came to me that way, and it holds zero, so I left it intact)

4. The underside of the forestock from the trigger guard to the bayonet groove is filled with a horizontal laminate plug on the Russian, and is left as vertical laminate on the North Korean.

5. The bayonet collars are nearly identical. Knurling is the same, but the attaching arm is slightly longer on the North Korean. The Type-63 bayonet itself is thinner than the Russian.

6. Stock markings (North Korean only). The rear side-mounted sling swivel is similar to 1956 to 1965 Chinese swivels. Note both the flat head and round head mounting screws. My stock has been lightly sanded, unfortunately, so the markings are not extremely crisp, but are quite legible.

7. The final comparison photos show the second generation (45deg) gas block on the Russian, and the third generation (modified 45deg) gas block on the North Korean. Rear sights are identical in construction, but the North Korean utilizes a possible Chinese numbered (font) leaf. Though it doesn't show well, the North Korean leaf is stamped with the word "Height" for the battle field zero setting, and the Russian has the Cyrillic letter "P" for BZO. Notice the oblong shape of the stripper clip guide on the Type-63. This feature is one that I have only noticed on the North Korean. All other SKS model stripper clip guides are straight rectangular, or stepped rectangular. Also, note the final character stamped in the serial number on the bolt carrier. It is not a zero, and instead is the North Korean letter "M".

I could as easily have chosen an early Chinese Type-56 carbine for comparison pics, but the front gas block, rear sight bloc, bayonet collar, and late stamped rear sight would have been identical. And the laminate stock variations were quite interesting in comparison to the Russian. As with all Communist Bloc nations, records for military arms are not released to the U.S., so it is difficult to draw conclusions on total production numbers and markings. So, the Type-63 is still shrouded in mystery to an extent. But this comparison should shed some light on its design and influence by both Russia and China. Someday, we may learn more. But outward observations of the few specimens that we have in the States, and the comparisons to other models, are the best conclusions that can be drawn today.

The final set of pictures show the cleaning kit and the complete set of matching numbers on a very clean and lightly used Type-63 North Korean SKS Carbine. I hope you enjoyed the post. And as always, thanks for looking.

Edit to add.

A possible translation of the markings on the gun are as follows:

The markings on the receiver cover are:

식 -which translates to expression or form (Type, Type-63)

The markings on the sight are:

고 -literal translation is "and", but has an alternate translation of high or height, which makes sense on a sight leaf

The markings on the receiver are:

ᄅᄎ or ᄅᄌ -which is likely just a two letter prefix (R/L, J/G or R/L, Ch), as there is no literal translation of two successive consonents.

Last edited by martin08 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Type-63 Carbine, North Korean SKS

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Wow, great presentation ! Until now I was not sure North Korean SKS's even existed, very cool. I wonder how many I have walked past thinking they were Soviet SKS's.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Dragunov sniper 777

Post by Dragunov sniper 777 »

interesting :thumbsup:
i am so poor i can only afford mustard and biscuits three times a week ..
Drago

Post by Drago »

Most excellent presentation, Martin! Now I know even more about a SKS carbine I'll never be able to afford, even if I could find one!
Bareassmeagain

Post by Bareassmeagain »

Did I just read in the Godfathers monthly SkS newsletter that in this world lives a factory issue full auto select fire SkS ? Shake me Shorthorn :o
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Bareassmeagain wrote:Did I just read in the Godfathers monthly SkS newsletter that in this world lives a factory issue full auto select fire SkS ? Shake me Shorthorn :o
Yes, Google "Type 63/68 SKS" and you should get some results. The technical name for these was the Type-63, but most references will call them the Type 63/68, for some odd reason. These were more or less a prototype that never were implemented in conflict regions, thus no bringbacks. And as they were select fire, they were never imported. Basically, they were an SKS platform that were modified to operate with a rotating vs. tilting bolt. A few were attempted to be imported in the late 1980's, with the BATF catching on rather quickly and turning them away at the port in San Diego. I don't know of any in the US today. At least none that anyone will claim, as they cannot easily be converted to semi-auto like the AK. They used a 20 round mag instead of the 30 round.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/ch/type-63-e.html

Then, of course, there is the SKS-63. It can be identified by the number "63" stamped on the receiver preceding the import markings. They are an extremely uncommon predecessor of the SKS-M and SKS-D. These guns were fitted with specially designed AK-style mags, and won't accept regular AK-mags. Occasionally you will see one of the mags on an online auction, and if the seller knows what he has, it will sell for well over $100.

But here is a "Type-63", just a regular old SKS platform that was retrofitted for the grenade launcher by North Korea, using captured US grenade launching parts. Nothing special about its bolt or mag. But very rare in its own right, for sure. Just about a dozen recorded in US SKS collections, and the centerpiece of mine.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

With some help from Phantom63 of SKS Boards, I was able to translate some of the markings on the gun. The translations are added to the end of the original post.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Sheesh, I think I am in love :Drool1:

Very impressive Martin...and excellent presentation. At first glance, I thought it was identical to my '53 Tula.

I learn something new here everyday...
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

MN Fan wrote:Sheesh, I think I am in love :Drool1:

Very impressive Martin...and excellent presentation. At first glance, I thought it was identical to my '53 Tula.

I learn something new here everyday...
You better Wolfy! You're the Wiki Man.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

here is some photos of my North Korea It is the third one I have owned. All three did not have conversions to rifle grenade. This one came back from Vietnam. I have no idea as to who may have done the stock. The previous owner had the papers but would not part with them or allow the dealer to give out his name. I got my East German, NVA, and this gun from his collection. He was in a position to pick from captured guns and shipped these all home. The other two North Koreans I owned were reddish maroon colored laminated stocks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Thanks for the pics, Howie. I have seen the serial number before, but not the gun!

When I posted this up on Gunboards, Bob H. gave me a call, and forwarded a few more serial examples to translate. It looks like the total number of recorded specimens will just about double, once a newer and more complete list gets compiled. Still, fewer than thirty have been recorded...

... and you've had three! :o

:wink:
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Great find!
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

8-)8-)
Celt

Post by Celt »

Wow! Lots of info, that was great, thanks :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!