Interest in new production Mosin receivers?

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
jtkrpm

Interest in new production Mosin receivers?

Post by jtkrpm »

A company that builds rem 700 actions said it would cost 10,000 or more just to produce a prototype, new Mosin receiver with built in scope mounting. If 100 people put in 100 that would cover it. Wouldn’t that be interesting? New receivers , new bolts.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Interest in new production Mosin receivers?

Post by millman »

Mosins are cool and historical, but I would have zero interest in a new one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am all about the history, if I wanted a brand new rifle it would be a commercial sporter. Commercial sporters have only the history the owner puts into it, same for a new production Mosin. In any case I have several unissued Mosins from various countries, they are my least interesting Mosins, little to no history.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jtkrpm

Post by jtkrpm »

Commercial spotters are still a mix of parts from the late 1800s to early 1900s. The only options for 54r would be mosins, and 3 very expensive semi autos. A clone of the SV-98 would be nice as well.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My Marlin 336's and 1895 are old commercial, not military designs as is my Savage 110, but none of them contain recycled parts. I don't know of any commercial sporter sold in the US today that gets away with using surplus military parts, or recycled sporter parts for that matter. Such a thing would quickly lead to a lawsuit from pissed off consumers who don't like the idea of being given something old when they paid big money for something brand new. Closest I can think of would be the earliest 1950's M1 Carbine reproductions that did use leftover military parts until the supply ran out. These were leftover new parts, not used ones. That sort of thing was more common back in the Bannerman era in the early 1900's when they were building all sorts of sporters using a mix of new and military surplus parts, they then sold these guns cheaply.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jtkrpm

Post by jtkrpm »

I guess I’m not understanding what a commercial sporter is. I’m thinking a sporterized military rifle.
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

With a new receiver you could build an obrez, we all need one
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

jtkrpm wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:10 am I guess I’m not understanding what a commercial sporter is. I’m thinking a sporterized military rifle.
A commercial sporter is a brand new rifle from Winchester, Remington, Ruger, SAKO, Marlin, Henry and so on. It contains no surplus parts and you pay full retail for it at the gun shop. A sporterized military rifle is something we call a Bubba. There is just no way to make a Mosin military action as smooth as a Remington Model 700, or Winchester Model 70, not to mention anything SAKO makes, The Mosin is a reliable military rifle with a long and bloody history that continues into today in the Ukraine/Russian war. That being said nobody would call it smooth to the level of a military Mauser, or US M1903, or the British Enfields. After having shot tens of thousands of rounds through hundreds of Mosins I can say they are the least smooth action of any military rifle I have fired ( bolt action) and I have fired them all. This is by design, the tolerances are deliberately left loose to allow the bolt to shed ice and mud as found on the Russian battlefields. The tradeoff is it will never have that smooth slide found in the bolts of top shelf commercial rifles as the ones mentioned earlier. The Winchester and the Remington would become sniper platforms during the Vietnam War, and serve well, but that is on a very small scale. The kind of money that would have to be charged to build new Mosin sporters would equal or exceed the mentioned rifles cost, and they would have to be all new rifles as there are likely not enough surplus parts left at reasonable cost to build a good number of rifles needed to turn a profit. We are talking $1000 or likely more with new parts, assembly, finishing, and so on. I don't think many hunters would pay that for a Mosin action sporter, and few collectors of historic weapons would be interested as there is no history in new rifles.
Theodore Roosevelt