Question regarding Sporter approach

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
AndyJohn2

Question regarding Sporter approach

Post by AndyJohn2 »

Hello...I'm new here and still getting my head around the sporterized approach to older mil rifles in general (dont do it) but something I havent seen/heard is...what is the general attitude about taking a previously sporterized mil rifle and turning it back into an authentic looking period correct rifle?

Thanks,
Tom
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question regarding Sporter approach

Post by millman »

If the barrel is not chopped and parts are available, you can try to put one back. Problem is that parts are sometimes quite hard to find and the total price that it takes to get them all far exceeds the cost of an unmolested rifle.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
AndyJohn2

Post by AndyJohn2 »

Thanks...been able to find NOS on most things...just wondering if the forum in general was as much against putting them back right as they are in not modifying them...
Thanks,
Tom
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

What is your project?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
AndyJohn2

Post by AndyJohn2 »

Frankly I'm a bit reluctant to say for fear of being flamed off the forum. I have taken two sporterized ww2 rifles and made them originals (except for the new stocks I made but finished in period taste)...found NOS missing hardware for them both....the first was a trial to see how it would go (ended up nice) but the second is one my dad would have used in ww2 basic training years before immigrating stateside so it has personal value. They both fire well. I'm looking at one sporter now (with a composite stock) that my great great uncle may have used way back when. I enjoy the wood work and turning them into authentic looking and firing rifles. I have no intent of reselling, as they are permanent additions to my meager but growing collection. Hope this gives a good idea of my attitude and approach to the hobby.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Our issue is with folks that take an original and make it like what you are trying to salvage.

C. S. Lewis