Mostly original Finn marked Remington Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
dimon

Mostly original Finn marked Remington Mosin

Post by dimon »

I came into possession of an interesting M91 Remington Mosin. It is 1917-dated S.A. stamped, but it is uncommon to see the M91 that went through Finnish hands and was not entirely overhauled post-war by them. This piece features all original Remington stamped parts except the cocking piece, and I suspect that the upper hand guard is a replacement as well. The remaining gun parts, big, little or small, bear an R in the circle stamp, and all serial numbers are original. Finns added a spring to the trigger group. There are some numbers stamped on the left side of the receiver, and I don't know the meaning of it. Also, Finns added metric numbers to the rear sight base. The cocking piece is a N.E.W. stamped (E with the arrow), and the bolt handle is original to the rifle with the actual matching serial number and the last two digits stamped on the knob. Remington made all the bolt parts except the cocking piece, as I mentioned before.
The stock is made by Remington with the proper cartouche and is stamped 1917. It also bears the Finn Civil Guard district number next to the original cartouche.
The rifle is in perfect shape with original bluing and an excellent bore. It is not counterbored.
racerguy00

Re: Mostly original Finn marked Remington Mosin

Post by racerguy00 »

Very nice. I'd have that one researched to see if any of its Civil Guard records survive.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
dimon

Re: Mostly original Finn marked Remington Mosin

Post by dimon »

That would be nice! I know it is marked with the Varsinais Suomi district number.