Mauser type front band

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Vity

Mauser type front band

Post by Vity »

Hi. I have short question. I saw m91/30 with a Mauser type front band. It's mid 30 made gun. Is it somebody's bad rework or was done (or fixed) on factory/arsenal? I found a couple pictures online, but nothing explains how and who did it. Thank you.
racerguy00

Re: Mauser type front band

Post by racerguy00 »

Could be what is known as a trials "stable" rifle or something like that. Usually dated around 36, 37, and have a unique front band arrangement. They used to be called Simonov trials rifles. An internet search might give you a better idea if that's what you saw
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Vity

Post by Vity »

Thank you! I found it by searching "Simonov trials rifles". I should take it! It's gone now.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and grab it when it's in front of you. I have done that many times, mostly I made out in the end. Buying in ignorance is a gamble, but that's how I got many milsurps back before the internet. Hungarian M52 sniper, Finn M28/30, Finn M24 Lotta rifle, Finn M38 carbine, and others that are expensive rifles today.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt