Tropical storm?

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
SA1911a1

Tropical storm?

Post by SA1911a1 »

I don't know if it is two months late or six months early. All the schools are closed tomorrow expecting high winds and heavy rains. Very odd in Jan.
Hang tight over there, Mike.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Re: Tropical storm?

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:18 pm I don't know if it is two months late or six months early. All the schools are closed tomorrow expecting high winds and heavy rains. Very odd in Jan.
At last check, the radar showed the worse of the rain West of us, so more towards Pensacola. But we are expected to get winds in the mid to high 20 MPH range. Plus thunderstorms so a potential for tornados, heavy rain until around 1100 CST tomorrow. But then again anytime I check the radar, the timeline and track seems to have changed.

Dogs have been medicated, and we'll give them another dose here soon, that ought to make them stupid until sometime tomorrow late morning/early afternoon. Schools are canceled for tomorrow, meaning our daughter will be off. She'll probably end up here with our granddaughter tonight. Don't get me wrong I get concerned with the weather, but our daughter down right freaks out now since Hurricane Michael. Maybe I'll just medicate myself along with the dogs and sleep through it all with them.

These flipping storms every week are getting old real damn quick, and like Steve said it isn't even Hurricane season yet.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All part of living in the tropical paradise of perpetual warm, or so I am told. We got a few inches of snow, and a bit of cold, not enough to carry the house off. What does one use to get a dog stoned? Heroin?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Starting at 0524 CST, then at 0535 and again at 0536 my phone went nuts with Tornado Warning messages. A tornado did go through just a few miles West of us.

I was blissfully asleep dreaming of discovering a cache of various greasy milsurps with a hint of Hoppes Bore Cleaner in the air when my cell phone yanked me out of my sleep with the warnings......Ugh always the good dreams that get interrupted.

What the radar looks like right now for us. This line is moving West to East so it'll come over us around 0800 or so. Obviously we are the blue dot on map.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:18 pm I don't know if it is two months late or six months early. All the schools are closed tomorrow expecting high winds and heavy rains. Very odd in Jan.
Steve yall be careful over there, been pretty damn noisy, wet and windy over here with this line of storms. We, here that is, should be out from under them around 1000 CST. By then all this crap will be well on its way to yall.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

The wind and rain is starting to pick up here in NC. Schools were on remote learning today and I just saw my work is closing early, glad I was off today.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

We got the worst of it at sunrise this morning. It knocked out power for 12 hours, it was nasty, but no damage here. It did some nasty work in Marianna right next door to the gun shop I have some consignments in.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

All we got out of the system was a very cold rain. Supposed to be more blowing in off the Pacific this next weekend-maybe. Tornadoes are one part of living in the SE that I don't miss. Don't get me wrong-they can happen out here but they're uncommon.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:33 pm We got the worst of it at sunrise this morning. It knocked out power for 12 hours, it was nasty, but no damage here. It did some nasty work in Marianna right next door to the gun shop I have some consignments in.
We had a tornado warning, some heavy rain and wind but nothing too bad. The power is still on so that's good!
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

awalker1829 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:23 pm All we got out of the system was a very cold rain. Supposed to be more blowing in off the Pacific this next weekend-maybe. Tornadoes are one part of living in the SE that I don't miss. Don't get me wrong-they can happen out here but they're uncommon.
Before we moved back to the east coast we lived outside of Phoenix for three years. Those Monsoon storms can be pretty bad as well.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:33 pm We got the worst of it at sunrise this morning. It knocked out power for 12 hours, it was nasty, but no damage here. It did some nasty work in Marianna right next door to the gun shop I have some consignments in.
What do you have on consignment Steve.....?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

We lost power for all of 10 seconds. While the tornado stayed West of us on Panama City Beach versus Panama City, there was still enough significant winds (60-70 MPH) here that caused damaged to buildings, fences, etc. Got a lot of rain, too much too fast that there were some roads and yards under water.

We escaped pretty much unscathed at Casa De Mikey's, just had to retrieve the garbage can a couple times from the road or neighbors yards. Just amazed the trash managed to stayed in the garbage can. Oh and a soggy as Hell yard right now. Other than that just a day of listening to the rain, thunder, and the wind howling. Now putting up with the drop in temperature, it was in the high 60s, almost 70° when the front was blowing through, currently it's 54° and it's expected to drop down as low as 40° tonight.

Just chilling out now with the pups, watching TV, seems as if they are trying to take over the bed as I type this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:59 pm
What do you have on consignment Steve.....?
Well, as it turned out, it was not only next door to the gun/shop. I rode by there today, half the roof and all of the windows are missing from the pawn shop. I could see that there was work going on so I did not stop by to lollygag. I am not too worried about the pieces that I have on consignment there, unlike most pawn brokers, I believe that this guy is an honorable man and between him and his insurance, he will make me whole again. His roof was across the highway and about a block and a half away. The RV park was still a hell of a mess. A few people were injured, but no deaths, and that is the important thing.

The poor pawn owner will probably have a BATFE inspection while the place is in a mess....It looks like the storage area of the store is what was hit the hardest, the front (retail space) still had a roof, if no windows. My rifles may have come out OK or they may have been picked up down the street somewhere.
Mike, what I have consigned there is a Winchester model 52, .22 target rifle with the original Lyman sights, a Voere (model 2150) Austria 30.06 scoped rifle and a Chinesse Type 53. Run over to Marrianna Pawn and Gun and you might get them in a scratch and dent sale...:)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

A followup to the story about the pawn shop where I had the consignments. I was able to pick up the pieces, undamaged from the owner. The guns were in the only corner of the building with a little roof left. The building was so badly damaged they tore what was left down. He set up in a temporary location until they could build a new metal building (about 6 months with a little luck) The BATF will not allow the man do any gun business at the temporary location. What a bunch of asses to penalize a respectable busines because of storm damage. The owner said it was fun to turn over 26 boxes of soaking wet records to the agent. So I guess that all of the stuff I have bought from them for the last 20 years or so is now untracable. What a F****** shame.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum