Any S&W revolver gurus in here?

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Any S&W revolver gurus in here?

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have got a value question. Someone hinted that one of the S&W revolvers that I own might be a bit collectible. I am not a member of the S&W forum and don't want to waste their time joining for one question.
Here are the details to the best of my knowledge:

Model 1905, 4th change, with a serial number that incates that it was built in 1917 or 1918
Round butt with original matching grips (penciled on wooden grips)
80- 90% nickel finish appears to be original
No S&W logo on frame panels (I understand that that is correct)
The piece is in good shape and I have shot it in the past. It was before heat treatment so light loads only.

If someone indicates to me that it is worth it, I may spring for the S&W letter.

My internet has gotten so slow that I can rarely upload a photo....
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Re: Any S&W revolver gurus in here?

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:57 pm I have got a value question. Someone hinted that one of the S&W revolvers that I own might be a bit collectible. I am not a member of the S&W forum and don't want to waste their time joining for one question.

Model 1905, 4th change, with a serial number that incates that it was built in 1917 or 1918
The piece is in good shape and I have shot it in the past. It was before heat treatment so light loads only.

If someone indicates to me that it is worth it, I may spring for the S&W letter.

Steve, I'm member of one of the S&W forums (Smithandwessonforums.com), send me any other information you wish to add to what you have already posted and pics via my email and I'll post it for you over there and link the post here for you to follow.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:36 pm
SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:57 pm I have got a value question. Someone hinted that one of the S&W revolvers that I own might be a bit collectible. I am not a member of the S&W forum and don't want to waste their time joining for one question.

Steve, I'm member of one of the S&W forums (Smithandwessonforums.com), send me any other information you wish to add to what you have already posted and pics via my email and I'll post it for you over there and link the post here for you to follow.
Thank you Mike,

That is about all of the info that I know that might be useful. Like I said, I am stuck with uploading photos until I get Starlink around the end of the month.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SteelBP

Post by SteelBP »

The ones on GB similar to your description are $400-500 range.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The round butt may change the math some, I am not sure. Apparently they did not make a lot of 5" round butt pieces.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I am a member on the S&W Forum. I have no S&W pistols older than the 60's time frame, so I am unfamiliar with the revolver you have. Nevertheless, there are some real experts over there that will be able to answer all your questions. Just like this forum, it is free to join.
SteelBP

Post by SteelBP »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:44 pm The round butt may change the math some, I am not sure. Apparently they did not make a lot of 5" round butt pieces.
Is it a .38 special ?
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Steve sorry for the delay, posted your questions on the Smith forum. Link for it is below.

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/th ... ns.234472/
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

First response to the post.

Hi Mike! Just about any original condition S&W handgun is collectible at some level. The governing factor on value is condition, condition, condition. A nickel gun that has lost 10% or more of its plating stands out more so than a similar blued gun. That would be offset somewhat if the exposed areas are polished to blend them with the nickel. On the plus side are the walnut grips and round butt. After 1905, round butt guns were only a fraction of the production so they tend to get a value boost over the square butts. The gold medallion, round butt walnut grips were not the norm. Most of the round butt guns shipped with black hard rubber. So, the grips will boost the value a bit. Not being able to see the gun, my SWAG is it would sell in the $600 range...maybe a bit more for a collector who had a hole he/she needed to fill. YMMV. And, I hope others provide feedback on this topic.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Thank you very much Mike.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:03 pm Thank you very much Mike.
No problem bud, I'll post anything that is posted over there, over here.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member