Mosin Nagant in my safe

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
TommyFdUP

Mosin Nagant in my safe

Post by TommyFdUP »

Love to shoot my Mosin.
Currently have 3 that I shoot, one regularly at the range and the other is my original hunting rifle.
The Tula was my 1st rifle at 12, begged my father to buy it for me as it was the only rifle I used in World at War lol. I took my hands to it and put it in monte Carlo stock and of course had to tap the receiver for a scope.... Great shooter but have regretted it since the night I did it, as it felt sacrilege. Kept it as a range fun gun as I picked up a 1926 Izhevsk with irons to use as my Deer gun. Something about the Mosin irons just do something for me. Have had some other in-between but had to sell as they tripled even quadrupled in price and couldn't turn down the offers :/
The 3rd one is a super special bubba edition we won't talk about here ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mosin Nagant in my safe

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's got to be a kick in the nuts now seeing how nicely non altered rifles have appreciated in value these last few years. They are not a particularly good deer rifle anyway, not like my Winchester 1894, or the Marlin 336 not to mention any number of commercial sporters offered by Winchester, Remington, Savage, SAKO, and so on. The Soviets built the 91/30 to be a minute of man rifle, the most accurate of them they sideline to become PU snipers along with earlier snider versions. Some do better, I have had some that managed 2MOA from 100 yards years ago when I was a better shot, but average is 4-5 MOA at same distance. The Soviets were not making a precision shooter, they were making a rifle to hit someplace on the torso at 25-50 yards and then they would disembowel the poor bastard with that long bayonet they never removed from the rifles. The Finns on the other hand did manage some impressive performance out of the Mosin, but they did some serious upgrading and cleaning up to get that performance. You have to have that sort of performance from your weapon when your army is tiny, and the enemy has a few million warm body's to toss into the fight.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TommyFdUP

Post by TommyFdUP »

Not really a kick in the nuts as I was 12 and only paid one bill for it and another for a crate of ammo definitely have made the money back off others and can't replace the fun I had with it lol
Hmm never had any issues my self taking deer for 15 plus years with my Mosins, skss and other surp rifles, but they never get more then 200 yards away here lol. Understand what your saying but never had any accuracy issues with my surplus rifles out to 500yards even. But I do shoot hand loads when hunting and it makes a world of a difference.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I heavily collected the Finn, Soviet, even Chinese Mosins back in the day, most were average shooters, but only the Finn Mosins would consistently shoot as well as my US M1903's, M1's, or my better German GEW98's, K98's and the British Enfields. The Soviets were more about throwing masses of men at the enemy until their overwhelming forces took the day rather than depend on individual marksmanship. That being the case they didn't go out of their way to provide more than a basic rifle rather than tweak them for accuracy like the Finn's did. The Soviets had the population numbers to be able to absorb heavy casualties and simply replace them as needed with fresh meat, we are still seeing this in the Ukraine war today. Even now the AK platform still in use by the Russians is a rugged and dependable weapon as the Mosin was before it, but it's no match for accuracy against the rifles of the west. Every now and then I would get a refurb 91/30 that shot better than I expected, one 1938 Tula was easily shooting tight groups at 100 yards, probably would shoot under 2 MOA with a better shooter if even I could manage 2 MOA at that distance with it. Mostly the Soviets would sideline the better shooters to be sniper rifles rather than manufacture special barrels and such for that kind of rifle as was done in the west or even have an entirely different rifle for sniper work like we do today.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt