Bought my first 91/30 today. 43Tula

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
La Riviere Du Plain

Bought my first 91/30 today. 43Tula

Post by La Riviere Du Plain »

Any ideas what these are valued nowadays. Got it for 260 from a coworker. 4 matching serial numbers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by La Riviere Du Plain on Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SA1911a1

Re: Bought my first 91/30 today. 43Tula

Post by SA1911a1 »

It is a good looking rifle, and you got a good price on it. Congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
La Riviere Du Plain

I could have offered him less but didn’t want to be too rude :)
La Riviere Du Plain

Do the Izhevsk markings on some of those pieces mean replaced parts or did the use parts from both factories when they made them originally. Also that looks reblued, correct?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The rifle was refurbished by the Soviet government in the years after WW2. During this process parts were mixed together.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

La Riviere Du Plain

Is there a way to tell when it was imported by the importers mark? T122505 USSR 7.62x54R RGUNS C'VILLE IL 91-30. Thanks
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

La Riviere Du Plain wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:46 pm Is there a way to tell when it was imported by the importers mark? T122505 USSR 7.62x54R RGUNS C'VILLE IL 91-30. Thanks
I don't know of anyone who has taken the time to note when each "importer" sold the rilfes here in the USA. It might be possible to figure it out but.....

For the most part,
if not import marks, they are usually eratly imports or bring backs.
if the import mark is on the muzzle end of the rifle, they were some of the first imports that required import marks.
if the import mark in on the left side of the receiver, they are later imports (the rules changed for them and you see a lot of "dot matrix" lettering).

Dates ...... Jim would know better then I.

Darryl
La Riviere Du Plain

This is dot matrix on the side of the receiver. Thanks
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I recall first seeing that dot matrix import mark sometime late in the first decade of the 21st century. It can be confusing because sometimes milsurps are not released right away after they come in to the country. They might be sat on by the importer for years while they wait for a market glut to clear out and prices go up. They may be held up in customs, of in the case of one company that I recall they were stored for decades while the company's owner faced legal problems. We all started seeing Soviet and Finn mosins with late 1980's type tiny marking up by the muzzle being sold 17-18 years later at the same time that new imports had the matrix marking. The bulk of the Mosin refurbs, and other Soviet refurbished weapons came in from storage in Ukraine mostly 2000-2012 or so, but I do recall seeing Soviet capture refurbished German K98k's and some M44's as early as 1995. The 91/30's, M44's and M91's that have the issued and used look came in around that time also, mostly from Romania, with the Finn hoard around 1988 if my memory of old Shotgun News advertisements is correct. The last imports were from Molot in Russia for a brief time before sanctions against that country cut off arms imports. I never bought one of these as I had completed my collection by then. I think these had multiple markings on them as first they may have been transshipped through Germany that has it's own proof fire requirements. It doesn't matter what import mark it has, they are all relics of the Great Patriotic War and earlier conflicts. Oh yea, I forgot the ones from Spain in the 1950's that had been Soviet aid to the losing side of the Spanish Civil War in the 30's, these will have made in ussr, or urrs on them. Not a required import mark, but put on by the us distributor at the time. The US government mandated import marks on imported firearms in 1968 with the passage of the 1968 amendment to the 1934 National firearms act, sometimes called GCA68, or Gun Control Act of 1968
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Nice Tula. The numbers were force matched at refurb and it's in an Izhevsk stock. Very common on refurbs. You did good though. I'm not knocking your rifle at all.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

You got a great deal on the rifle for $260. Last time I saw 91/30 rifles selling at the gun store they were $400 and more.
La Riviere Du Plain

Does that look like aftermarket shellac of finish? Should I put mineral spirits to take of the shiny finish?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

La Riviere Du Plain wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:43 pm Does that look like aftermarket shellac of finish? Should I put mineral spirits to take of the shiny finish?
I'd leave it as is.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SteelBP

Post by SteelBP »

millman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:02 pm
La Riviere Du Plain wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:43 pm Does that look like aftermarket shellac of finish? Should I put mineral spirits to take of the shiny finish?
I'd leave it as is.
Don't do one thing To it, that's some of the best Russian red you'll see and they got it nice and black too. "43 Tula is not common.