Memorial Blanket

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Memorial Blanket

Post by ffuries »

A female family friend of ours, husband lost his father in a motorcycle accident (Hit by a car I believe), 10 months ago. This past Summer my wife was talking to the family (Wife and daughters), and the wife wanted to have a memorial blanket made for her husband of his father.

His father was an avid rider and attended the various bike weeks in Florida. So my wife being the person she is, said give me a pile of his shirts and some time and I'll make one for him. Well last night she finished the project up, and gave it to the wife today. She's on the fence on whether to give it to him now or on Christmas.

But there was a cry-fest when my wife gave her the blanket and she saw it for the first time. A bunch of his t-shirts, and one of those fleece blankets as a backer, and many hours into it. This thing is has some serious heft to it. She's upset/surprised with my wife, as she refused to accept money for doing it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Memorial Blanket

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's some nice work. I can't sew to save my life, and yet I own a sewing machine, can't shoot all that well either and yet.... insanity I guess. Your wife should take making this sort of thing on as a side hustle, I stopped in at an Amish run quilt store in Lancaster PA a few years back and let me tell you what, prices popped my eyes open. Lot of work, and probably all by hand, but they were well compensated for it at those prices. I thought my Pendleton wool blankets were expensive at just under 300 each, but handmake quilts and such can bring 500 to a grand or more.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Re: Memorial Blanket

Post by ffuries »

His father was riding his motorcycle and was t-boned by a drunk driver with no insurance who fled the scene. To make matters worse the drunk driver had a dash cam in his vehicle that caught the whole accident.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member