Yugo Zastava M70

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

Yugo Zastava M70

Post by ffuries »

This followed me home along with a May 1918 Eddystone M1917 yesterday. Finally broke it down and gave it an inspection, cleaning and oiling. Came with the holster, two magazines, and cleaning brush. Had to watch a video on how to field strip it, once I did I was amazed how easy it came apart.

What I'm trying to figure out is the SN, the K-321791 is on the barrel, slide and frame. On the barrel and underside of the frame is an Electric Pencil number that match each other but are are different than the K number. So is the K number the SN given by the importer (It seems like it was put on after the finish was applied), and the other one the original one? Thinking the EPed numbers might be assembly numbers, but I'm not 100% sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ffuries on Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Yugo Zastava M70

Post by millman »

Do you pull the trigger guard down to field strip it?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

millman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:04 pm Do you pull the trigger guard down to field strip it?
No, the trigger guard is part of the frame.

Four or five years ago, there was a mass market dump on those pieces. They were going dirt cheap. I bought three of them, gave one to my son and kept two. One of the two that I kept is marked M70-1, but I have never figured what the dash one is all about, it seems to be identical to the other one that I still have. They are dang reliable little guns but with a weak round and being heavy as a anvil, I don't see much modern utility to them. I believe that they were police service guns in Yugoslavia and in that part of the world a .32 ACP was considered tough enough. Americans take more killing.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:04 pm Do you pull the trigger guard down to field strip it?
Under the barrel there is a plunger, you push it in, rotate the barrel cap 180 degrees and the cap comes off, remove the slide lock (Falls out), remove the slide, pull spring out then the barrel. Hammer comes out in an assembly (Like a cassette), hand grips have a swivel you turn from the inside and they come off.

Video I used to field strip it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3r_oebxaQw
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ffuries wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:00 pm
Under the barrel there is a plunger, you push it in, rotate the barrel cap 180 degrees and the cap comes off, remove the slide lock (Falls out), remove the slide, pull spring out then the barrel. Hammer comes out in an assembly (Like a cassette), hand grips have a swivel you turn from the inside and they come off.

I thought it might be like a PPK, where the trigger guard gets pulled down which lets the slide come off.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:01 pm
ffuries wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:00 pm

I thought it might be like a PPK, where the trigger guard gets pulled down which lets the slide come off.
The Czechoslovakian CZ-82 and CZ-83 have that system (Trigger guard swivel breakdown). Don't know about the ones that proceeded or came after. Don't seem to recall it on my CZ-52.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member