Repairs on stock

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
roydbrave

Repairs on stock

Post by roydbrave »

Is it just me? I can look at 20 rifles, 19 having pristine stocks and one having repairs, and I get excited over the one with repairs. The more elaborate and intricate the repairs the happier I get. I'm talking Arsenal repairs here, not modern day repairs.

Like repaired stocks with the finger joints, dove tails etc. Some of the repairs leave me wondering how the hell they got the joints so tight and neat. These people were masters in their own rights, hell I can't take two pieces of flat wood, join them together without it looking like a Kindergarten art project.

Maybe we can post some stock repair pictures under a sticky topic to highlight the skills of these unknown master carpenters.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Repairs on stock

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't have the rifles out at the moment, but I collected up a bunch of stock repair rifles back in the old days when you got them cheaper for that sort of thing. I have one Romanian used 91/30 that has at least 14 repairs in the stock. These were the heavily used looking rifles that once could be had for fifty bucks or less and now cost $500 or more. This is not the sort of thing you see on US rifle stocks, stocks get damaged and Uncle just replaced them, first world economy and all.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt