considering first Finnish M39 purchase

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Snek123

considering first Finnish M39 purchase

Post by Snek123 »

Hi,

Ive just found a deal at about $1200 here in my local gunshop on this sweet looking M39. Apparently its a very good state M39 with genuine sling and crown cover.

Its states its also a more valuable rare straight stock version. Serial number is 206490.

What do you think? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: considering first Finnish M39 purchase

Post by millman »

That is a nice looking rifle. I don't know what the going rate for them is these days. Last M39 I bought was $275.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

that must have been a long time ago. In my country these were going between $600-900 before but lately most stuff, collectors guns included tend to go up in value / price. So I guess $1200-1300 for such a nice rifle shouldnt bee too bad.
Last edited by Snek123 on Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Yes, it was quite some time ago. If they are bringing 900 where you are, then 1200 for something you want wouldn't be bad. I have overpaid for things, only to have the market catch up and make the purchase a good one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I just looked at gunbroker and people are asking 1200 and higher for M39s. It seems like yours would not be a bad deal.

C. S. Lewis
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

Thanks man i think i will go for it
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I have one like that but paid $395 for it 15 years ago. I was offered $1100 for it 3 years ago now.

So, with the "flame stock and straight stock, that seems to be an OK price.

Oh, mine was PL marked also. Still have it.

Darryl
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

Forgot to mention that the rifle is a rare one marked with PUOLUSTUSLAITOS markings.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

PUOLUSTUSLAITOS is "PL marked". That makes it worth a bit more.
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

Darryl wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:16 am PUOLUSTUSLAITOS is "PL marked". That makes it worth a bit more.
Yes ,Darryl, about how much is it worth right now in the US?
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

I have a question how do I know the barrel manufacturer of my M39?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Snek123 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:02 pm I have a question how do I know the barrel manufacturer of my M39?
https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/app.php/page/58

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Snek123 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:02 pm I have a question how do I know the barrel manufacturer of my M39?
My Sako is about 1200 numbers behind yours. With those serial #'s, it's a SAKO barrel.
m39straight.png

Note the gear with the S in the middle = SAKO
M39_207XXX_19.jpg
Darryl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

The barrel manufacturer is stamped on top of the barrel shank behind the rear sight. Can't see that area in the pictures but the serial number you provided falls into a block of M39's made in 1941 by Sako. This block also includes all M39's made with a straight stock so the stock is almost certainly original to the rifle. Price is fair, I own a 1941, PUOLUSTUSLAITOS marked M39 in a straight stock so I track sale prices for them and they are selling in that range currently.
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

Thanks everyone guys, im going for it will post updated pics when I get her home in about 1-2 weeks
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

Any idea how much are genuine M39 bayonets going now? I have a chance of buying one from the same owner as the rifles and hes asking about $650 for it.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Snek123 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:28 am Any idea how much are genuine M39 bayonets going now? I have a chance of buying one from the same owner as the rifles and hes asking about $650 for it.
They are high, because they are rare.

C. S. Lewis
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

millman wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:57 am
Snek123 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:28 am Any idea how much are genuine M39 bayonets going now? I have a chance of buying one from the same owner as the rifles and hes asking about $650 for it.
They are high, because they are rare.
so $600-650 is a good price if its a decent condition?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

A quick ebay search shows a reproduction for almost $300, and a couple of originals at 850 and 900. I guess that is the going rate these days. If the same guy you got your rifle from has the bayonet, it seems that he has a good bead on the prices.

C. S. Lewis
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

Ok just brought her home. Ifs beautiful guys.